Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto-Attack System

Ravani Lestari

Towns Guard
Xy$
I'm not quite sure how possible it is to script something like Auto-Attack, but based on Yanfly's ATB Battle System, I was thinking of the ATB bar being the basis of Auto-Attack charges, while also having skills able to be used while the AA Bar is charging, but with cooldowns to keep a better balance of battle. Pretty much works like an MMORPG, but for better reference, Xenoblade Chronicles (X) battle system works similar to this. This battle system has been very successful and I would like to see this system implemented in RPG Maker games.

Basically, you'll have each weapon dictate the ATB speed. Whether you want that ATB bar to be visible or not would also be an option. Anyways, the ATB system would only effect the auto attack, while skills and magics on the other hand would have cooldowns and work off of their own smaller gauge that fills up, instead of turns. A visible gauge would be beneficial for skill cooldowns. Skills can be used whenever, as long as they are not under cooldown.

Skill cooldowns are not based on a stat, but are dependent on the skills themselves. In Xenoblade Chronicles X, there are class abilities that can decrease the cooldown timer by up to 50% under certain conditions. I was thinking that there could be items that make certain skills cooldown faster, like Skill Gems that you can socket into weapons.

Anyways, the script I am calling for is similar to ATB as far as auto-attacking goes, but skills will be available to use whenever. To accompany this system, a Gambit System to control what your party members do and when they do them would tie nicely with this script.

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
So basically you just need a damage over time ability to emulate "auto attack"?

Ravani Lestari

Towns Guard
Xy$
Well, yes and no. Damage over time isn't quite what I am going for. More like instead of selecting "Attack," it does it for you, and the rate at which a character attacks is reliant on their weapon. More like a DPS rating so to speak. So instead of selecting attack, you'd be going through your skill set instead. This also works the same way for enemies too.

eivl

Local Hero
Xy$
could you link to a video that shows how this work in Xenoblade Chronicles?

Ravani Lestari

Towns Guard
Xy$

Kind of like this, though what I want is the auto-attacking based off of the rate that is set by note-tagging weapons, and being able to use skills as fast as you want, but also having to wait for skill cooldowns so that it doesn't really destroy the balance of the game.

Last edited: