Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Art Theft (The Case of Kaus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
What was he thinking..he can outsmart the RM community?
To be fair, the RPG maker community isn't exactly known for it's Intelligence.

But yeah, there's no doubt Hanzo/Kaus (yeah, same guy) did this, he's outright confessed. Personally I'm not mad at him, because I make my own tiles or tiles my team makes, and if I don't it's always credited. But this does definitely show that no one's reputation is invincible if they cross a path they shouldn't.

What I don't get is why risk it, especially when he is pretty talented anyway. I have a feeling he wanted to leave and never be tempted to come back, and I guess he got that. It's a shame if so, though. Most interactions I've had with him are pleasant, which is more than I can say for the only two times that snake Celianna has slithered something into my ear. Don't get me wrong, she's talented and incredibly good at what she does, her attitude though, is one rife with crude manners and hypocrtical apotheosis, hilarious considering she refers to me as toxic. But anyway, that's neither here nor there.

Like, if someone stole from Hanzo, i'd feel bad for Hanzo in the same way I would Amy, discovering that Celianna had her shit stolen is literally just cause for laughter from me and anyone not blind to her thinly-veiled 'it's my way or the highway' shtick.

Since this may graze some feathers, and some may falsely be led to conclude that I stole from Celianna, truthfully, I did, but it wasn't art I stole, just hypothetical income, but since the friends I mentioned are virtually never not-broke, I don't think she'd have had anything to gain, that she acted like a petulant manchild about it just made it very easy to not give her any dote of sympathy.

Terrorchen

Villager
Xy$
Like, if someone stole from Hanzo, i'd feel bad for Hanzo in the same way I would Amy, discovering that Celianna had her shit stolen is literally just cause for laughter from me and anyone not blind to her thinly-veiled 'it's my way or the highway' shtick.
that's not what happened. Kaus stole from actual games like on the spriters resource and then traced them, gave out the tiles, and CHARGED 80$ for people to use them in commercial projects and for exclusive (stolen) content.

None of what he stole belonged to Celianna, he stole from a couple smaller RM people and professional games.

What he did was not okay at all especially since he was making serious bank on ripping people off.

Because of what Kaus did, there have been games that have been put on haitus, or that have had to remap really long and thoughtful parallax maps that took hours upon hours to make because if they release these games, they could be sued by big corporations Kaus stole from.

I myself have had a few qualms with some of Celianna's attitude, but don't make this about her. She is hardworking person and a good artist, unlike Kaus.

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
I wasn't stating what he did or didn't do. I was only making a barely retrievable comparison for the sake of demonstrating I'm more surprised by this turn of events than holier-than-thou. You're putting words in my mouth.

Nor am I trying to evangelize him in any degree, I also said (just so you don't need to remind me in the future) that I do respect Celianna and her work, I say word for word 'she's incredibly talented and good at what she does', so it's not as if it's my intent to badmouth Celianna, either. I was formally agreeing that art theft is NOT okay, and the only reason I have little sympathy for Celianna who hasn't (as you say) been affected much by this beyond being the one to make it a public bit of knowledge, is that she's gone to every end to bookend herself from sympathy regardless how much she may or may not be effected.

As for the mappers that put lots of work into parallax maps using those tiles that are now a legal doozy? Yeah-- can't say I really envy you right now. That'd suuuuuuck, yo.

Also he's literally never got any cash for refunds he probably spends it the moment he gets it, far as I know he's not the most financially sustained fellow. Anyway-- let's keep this civil as we can. It's not in my interest to defend Hanzo anymore so than it is to loathe him, this doesn't effect me, and to those it does-- go nuts. But I've no reason to join in on a flame war against a single dude who already has folks like you on his case and of which is gaining momentum fast. I grant him mercy because when those bureaucratic shitbirds at RMwebs had the chance to show me the same, they didn't-- so I'm merely doing them the favor of not being so petty.

Sure I could go join the doubtless thousands shitting on his grave but why bother? If I made a doozy like that I wouldn't want it to be the one thing the community knows me for. I made a similar, though more morally forgivable doozy, and they sure want to make out it's a bigger problem than it is, because they always do. Not to dampen Hanzo's crime here, but I'm not gonna add my voice to a thousand virgin-strong shitstorm. I'd like to think no one who wasn't directly effected by this would, but then bandwagons and humanity go together it seems. Granted, I have used Hanzo's case somewhat to alleviate and hopefully clear my own conscience of a thing I did, but it's unrelated and not here or there.

CM Games

Towns Guard
Xy$
From now on, I will try to learn creating my own tilesets or charsets. One thing that Hanzo (if that is his real name) must do is accept his flaws and never to do it again the third time. If given a chance for him to come back one day, I think he should make resources for free..but the problem is that most RM users will never trust him anymore. That's the price to pay..and having a god given talent is not an excuse to steal anything or do any illegal. Yes his skills can't be denied but the victims here are those people who spent their time, hard work, and sheer determination in creating maps using Asteria tilesets..and now it will be wasted. We can't blame Celianna or anyone but Hanzo alone. Learn from it and be a much better person.

AmazingAvery

Towns Guard
Xy$
he stole from a couple smaller RM people
Yeah, thank you.

The problem that made it not too easy to detect is that he didn't stole the whole tiles of other RM people but ripped parts of their work and edited it into his tiles. The only reason I could proof that he stole parts of my edits was because I drew some part of it from scratch and that is what he stole.

(Matress and pillow were from scratch or such heavy edits that it is impossible to get that close by accident, the Blue bed is mine. While he stole some parts he designed other parts pretty differently so you could think he may have made the bed himself just using the same RTP parts on some places, which is wrong)

Kaus is a thief, a liar (he made a statement after being detected in which he listed what he stole and there were definitly things missing) and he was caught the second time for the same thing. (His Hanzo Kimura Valkyrie also contain Rips and stolen Artwork and he also sold them back then).

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hanzo has been banned and shunned (by his own people), and has paid the price. Some cultures treat thieves very bad, and it is a severe mark upon the family name.It is time for this thread to be closed. Nothing new is being offered just the same theme and comments over and over. Yes he stole. Yes, he admitted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.