Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any advice on my maps?

James Richardson

Towns Guard
Xy$
I'm working on a project and sadly at the moment, I have nobody to help me except for you wonderful people!
I would love to have advice from you guys and gals on ways to make my maps better.
Thanks!

Trumully

Cyborg Kiwi
I don't mind them at all to be fairly honest.
Just a few things that might need fixing.
With the first half of the map, I feel that the barricades surrounding the holes are a bit much.
Maybe try replacing the barricades with fences? I think that would honestly look much better.
Also, maybe add a few more trees on the cliff and some plants to make it more interesting. Add some trees in a few random places everywhere anyways as well to give it more 'Oomph'.
As for the second half of the map, I like the bunched up trees but maybe, like with the other half of the map, add more trees and plant life to make it feel like a forest. Maybe to make it even better, make random moving animals so it looks like animals occupy the place.
I hope my feedback is good and helps you! I like it so far, but if you add the things I have suggested, I think it will look even better.
Happy mapping!

James Richardson

Towns Guard
Xy$
Awesome, it might be my computer. For some reason the surface pro likes to act finicky with loading videos sometimes.
[doublepost=1446257322,1446257217][/doublepost]
I don't mind them at all to be fairly honest.
Just a few things that might need fixing.
With the first half of the map, I feel that the barricades surrounding the holes are a bit much.
Maybe try replacing the barricades with fences? I think that would honestly look much better.
Also, maybe add a few more trees on the cliff and some plants to make it more interesting. Add some trees in a few random places everywhere anyways as well to give it more 'Oomph'.
As for the second half of the map, I like the bunched up trees but maybe, like with the other half of the map, add more trees and plant life to make it feel like a forest. Maybe to make it even better, make random moving animals so it looks like animals occupy the place.
I hope my feedback is good and helps you! I like it so far, but if you add the things I have suggested, I think it will look even better.
Happy mapping!

Awesome! I forgot about animals completely.
I'll try to fences instead.
It's part of the first journey back to their village, so I'm attempted to make it feel like a long journey (gotta add more maps).
[doublepost=1446402576][/doublepost]Updated maps some. Haven't added anything moving yet.
Any tips for building mazes? Any tips are welcome. Thanks

PandaMaru

Local Hero
Xy$
Hm, sry to say it bold, but the maps are emty. The trees are all in line and there are to much space all around.
The town has less houses then a lokal farm in my real hometown. ;) It seems that there are a lot more dead people, then living ones.
Play some more with autotiles and deco. ^^

MadLunat

Villager
Xy$
Maybe this video will help:

Also, you can give personality to the buildings, like adding weapon racks for the blacksmith or crates for the stores.

Hymmitjah

Villager
Xy$
Trees will rarely be in a bunch like that and nowhere else... try placing them randomly, and do not be afraid of grouping different objects together. Also, varying ground autotiles will help for a more natural look.

If you have trouble filling your maps, chances are they're way too big for your needs. You know what to do then ;)