Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding...Friends?

Does this make sense...? Would you like that?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • wHat

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
This is probably a weird question since there's already a "follow/follower" option but would it be possible to make a "friend" system too in the forums? Would you like that? I think I would like that.

(ofc only if it's possible and useful in any way. But tell me if you like something like that in forums. It's probably just me because I'm not such a typical social media fan and like to keep things "close" or sth like that. Maybe I'm just talking nonsense but it's up to you to decide)

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I do like this idea but as it currently stands there are no plugins for the community that allow friends to be added. There is one but it's outdated and has a ton of issues with it and even though the developer said they will be working on updating their friends plugin, it's been over a year since they've said that, so I think this option is out of reach for a little while now. There are alternatives to this type of system, it would be called"Groups", where members can join a specific group or team and share discussions, upload photos, have photo albums etc I'm pretty sure the group creator can be an admin to that group and can assign moderators etc but these plugins are pretty pricey( $50 -$ 70) and would require donations from the community, if it was something we are all looking to do.

Plugins for Groups:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/social-groups.3443/

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/nobita-social-groups-teams-guilds-clubs.2875/

What would adding friends even do though? That's my question, what purpose does it solve? You can message every member, post on their walls and mention them... not sure what this would add but a trophy.

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
From what I can tell, most forums switching from friends to followers is to help with more business-oriented communities. For more professional settings, it makes sense to "follow" a client or company rather than call them your "friend", basically.

For here, friends is probably more appropriate, but I think followers is still fine. Like LordBones said, we already have plenty of access to anyone we feel like communicating with. I don't think those group plugins would really add much to this forum at the moment.

Hmm, "Friends" would sound much nicer than "Followers", but I'm fine with just "Followers" anyway. Of course, maybe it's just cuz I'm a freakin-recently-joined member, or maybe its just 'cuz having "Followers" made me feel like some occult leader(?) But still, I can't think of any feature for friend...ing.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I prefer following and being followed. The word friend has been so 'loosened' by social media. Some people just like to see those little avatars of certain people when they log on to the forum.

I think the thing is that really we are following one another in the assets, games and support was create/share with the community. The friends probably won't use this forum to talk on a regular basis because there are better ways to get in contact with people, i.e. Facebook and WhatsApp.

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
Following someone adds their posts, likes, etc. In your news feeds. Making it more of following them. This and having them show up in your profile is really the only perk to following someone it isn't a friend feature, so simply changing the name from follower to friend isn't something that'd work out. I don't see too much of a need for a friend system compared to things we're currently working on getting. Such as the wiki.

Phil

Adventurer
Xy$
This is probably a weird question since there's already a "follow/follower" option but would it be possible to make a "friend" system too in the forums? Would you like that? I think I would like that.

(ofc only if it's possible and useful in any way. But tell me if you like something like that in forums. It's probably just me because I'm not such a typical social media fan and like to keep things "close" or sth like that. Maybe I'm just talking nonsense but it's up to you to decide)
Yes! and the words friend connect us even more than the word "follower" and "following" sounds very strict and tight spaced. The word friend, makes it well... friendlier

Micro

Dragon Goddess
I like following/follower. if you want to be friends, it takes more than just clicking a button on someone's profile!

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
This is currently something we cannot do at this moment. Thank you so much for the suggestion, however we are sad to say it has been disapproved at this current time. This topic will now be locked, and moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.