Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zelda/Link sprites

Koeki

Villager
Xy$
I cannot, for the life of me, find any sprites for Zelda, specifically, or even generator parts that would work for Link especially. I just need his basic outfit (green with cap)

Phil

Adventurer
Xy$
I am not a lawyer, but if you make a project out of other game's character, you might be facing copyright,
Especially with Nintendo being very strict about their products.
If you want to avoid getting copyrighted, your work must be a parody of the source material.
Fortunately, if you made a parody, you can still commercialize your game.
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PROJECT. :)

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
Yeah, although fangames are often okay ^^ it's morw when you use official stuff like graphics, story, names, etc. you can ask them for fangames though, and mostly they dont care as long as its just a fangame

I've searched quite a bit through the net but haven't found anything yet. Are you looking for a special Zelda ?(since she always looks differently)

Koeki

Villager
Xy$
I'm not planning on selling this, which is what infringes on copyright generally speaking. Beyond that, it does look a lot different than the original map with the stuff I'm doing.

As for Zelda herself. >.>

that's a bit more of a problem and I was going to attempt it with my poor pixeling skills as I found a dress based on the Twilight Princess Zelda, but it's styled as a wedding dress, so the image I have is all white. I love the dress and for the most part it is the TP dress, but there's some slight changes (no shoulder-pads, for one) This is the Front, and the Back, tho if you want to look.

EDIT: here's basically the colors I'd use, based off of This

Last edited:

Phil

Adventurer
Xy$
I'm not planning on selling this, which is what infringes on copyright generally speaking. Beyond that, it does look a lot different than the original map with the stuff I'm doing.

As for Zelda herself. >.>

that's a bit more of a problem and I was going to attempt it with my poor pixeling skills as I found a dress based on the Twilight Princess Zelda, but it's styled as a wedding dress, so the image I have is all white. I love the dress and for the most part it is the TP dress, but there's some slight changes (no shoulder-pads, for one) This is the Front, and the Back, tho if you want to look.

[/SPOILER]
You have very interesting vision of your character's clothing :)
and I agree that pixeling can be hard, however, as you progress, it really becomes easier,
when I just started pixeling, I bought aseprite, and I don't know where to start, and starbirds
tell me to just keep drawing, cyanide told me to check some tutorials on devian art and they are really useful!
Here is some tutorials that I think might help.

shading and aliasing basic
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-art-tutorial-214350064

Making Sparkles
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-Art-Sparkle-Tutorial-166776652

Sketch and Pixelart
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-Tutorial-461609742

Step by step
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-Art-Tutorial-Chart-341515231

Eye pixel art
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-Eye-Tutorial-300394918

Round Object
http://www.deviantart.com/art/How-to-make-round-objects-in-pixel-art-347907700

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
I'm not planning on selling this, which is what infringes on copyright generally speaking.
This is rather off-topic to this thread, but it doesn't matter if you're selling the game or giving it away for free, as soon as it leaves the realm of private creation (it's no longer just on your hard-drive) it will be breaking copyright.

There's many, many free (zero profit, including donations) fan-projects out there that were shut down by Nintendo's lawyers. You're only safe if you completely avoid Nintendo's IP, which means you cannot have a blonde, mute elf guy dressed in green called Link.

Even parody games are a bad idea as you can still take an IP parody to court, sure you have a stronger case due to parody protected as freedom of expression, but you're still going to be paying for court fees.

References should be fine (random NPC dressed in green called Link or something).
Also, game design is not protected under copyright or any kind of property right, so you can clone the game-systems of a Zelda game and that would be fine.

EDIT: All that said, I'm not discouraging anyone here from making fan-games, they're great, but they're almost always infringing on copyright. Some studios have policies that are fair towards fan-games (Sega with Sonic and Microsoft's game IPs are rather famous for their pro-fan-game policy).

Yes, indeed, copyright is a very grey area, but still with some clear-cut policies on what is and isn't acceptable with regard to fanworks. Unfortunately, Nintendo is notorious for its takedowns, even with some of the best fan-made reboots . A recent example of such is the fan-made game Pokemon Uranium, which boasted 1,500,000 downloads and took about a decade to develop, before Nintendo got its lawyers involved. And then there was The Legend of Zelda 30-year-anniversary fan tribute remake that was similarly taken down.

One fanwork of particular note is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 2D, an impressive reboot entirely redone with Link to the Past style sprites, even boasting an online multiplayer mode. Essentially, it's a LoZ: OOT clone, but entirely re-rendered in 2D. I think it was in May last year that Nintendo slapped a DMCA notice on it for the download. However, on the plus side for this one, apparently there's talk of a deal with Nintendo to license the IP for this and make it official.

I'm all for fan-made games. Some of them are amazing! I don't want to sound discouraging at all, but if you want to make this kind of game, even if it's free and non-commercial, you can almost certainly expect some kind of backlash.

It's probably better in the long run, therefore, to make a "variation of a theme", basing concepts on IP content rather than using it directly. For instance, Zelda could have a cat-like face and tail. I know it's way not the same, but it still wouldn't be Nintendo's Zelda. You can draw inspiration and ideas from the Zelda game(s) as well without risking the repercussions of IP problems. In today's society, it's far better to play it safer in my opinion.

Phil

Adventurer
Xy$
Yes, indeed, copyright is a very grey area, but still with some clear-cut policies on what is and isn't acceptable with regard to fanworks. Unfortunately, Nintendo is notorious for its takedowns, even with some of the best fan-made reboots . A recent example of such is the fan-made game Pokemon Uranium, which boasted 1,500,000 downloads and took about a decade to develop, before Nintendo got its lawyers involved. And then there was The Legend of Zelda 30-year-anniversary fan tribute remake that was similarly taken down.

One fanwork of particular note is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 2D, an impressive reboot entirely redone with Link to the Past style sprites, even boasting an online multiplayer mode. Essentially, it's a LoZ: OOT clone, but entirely re-rendered in 2D. I think it was in May last year that Nintendo slapped a DMCA notice on it for the download. However, on the plus side for this one, apparently there's talk of a deal with Nintendo to license the IP for this and make it official.

I'm all for fan-made games. Some of them are amazing! I don't want to sound discouraging at all, but if you want to make this kind of game, even if it's free and non-commercial, you can almost certainly expect some kind of backlash.

It's probably better in the long run, therefore, to make a "variation of a theme", basing concepts on IP content rather than using it directly. For instance, Zelda could have a cat-like face and tail. I know it's way not the same, but it still wouldn't be Nintendo's Zelda. You can draw inspiration and ideas from the Zelda game(s) as well without risking the repercussions of IP problems. In today's society, it's far better to play it safer in my opinion.
Yes as long as the transformation changed the value of the original source material enough to provoke a sense of different game,
they can't sue you. however, some creators and company are strong enough to take you down, even if the reason is invalid.