Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Map Discussion

Lore

Resident Dragon
Hi folks,

I've seen a few posts around discussing maps in general, but nothing that I've seen asks this question (so my apologies if there is another post like this and I'm just blind XD)

When developing a World Map (or similar), what designing stages do you go through? Do you just randomly draw a map? Or do you go an do some research and take inspiration from other maps?

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I don't do world maps, I've yet to make a game where I use one but when I do start mapping I start out randomly. I like to just dive right in and make whatever is on my mind, forest, village, beach, whatever it is, then once I have a few maps, they start connecting, I'll do some re-adjustments to make them match properly and before you know it I have a whole area complete. When it comes to modern mapping, like cities then it's wiser to think about a basic layout before diving in otherwise you'll end up with a mess lol.

Lore

Resident Dragon
You know, I've never actually designed a map that way before. I've always built a basic "world" and then added the smaller local maps later. But this... this is revolutionary to me!!! :D Thank you!!!!
[doublepost=1471476972,1471476847][/doublepost]I'm also still trying to figure out why I didn't think of doing it this way before... (perplexed)(confused)

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
Glad you like this idea, I feel the mapping process should be far away from logic as it can be, use your right brain and be creative while mapping, it is art after all, then the logic will naturally fall into place.

Boy Who Codes

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
I usually don't use the world map tiles, but there are a lot of stages I go through to conceptualize a world map. I usually look at older maps of the world, or maybe from the dungeons and dragon books...just anything fantasy you know, some designs here and there...then I try to make my own. I would try to think if it is possible to have that as a world map as well. Like, if it's forest, what are the next parts of it that I think are possible to be there, etc. I usually model my world maps to how I wanted to see the world, lol.

Phil

Adventurer
Xy$
Hi folks,

I've seen a few posts around discussing maps in general, but nothing that I've seen asks this question (so my apologies if there is another post like this and I'm just blind XD)

When developing a World Map (or similar), what designing stages do you go through? Do you just randomly draw a map? Or do you go an do some research and take inspiration from other maps?
I find games with detailed world-map interesting, and often appreciate them. you plan your world map, like planning
on a real world map, why is something is placed there, why is something placed here?
Skyrim nailed it on this aspect, they placed the cave, kingdoms and mountains in places that makes sense.

This is what you must consider when making a world map:
1. The map must not be annoying for the players to go around
2.The map must not be repetitive
3.The map must not confuse the player

Remember that world map is very important, and is where your cities,town,villages,forest,etc are connected
if your world map design fails, it will drag down the game.

Good Luck On Your Project :)

Dad3353

Praised Adventurer
I've not (yet...) enough experience to create from the ground up, and my current Project(s...) are really all about apprehension of MV itself, so I start off with the default Maps, if they're close to meeting my needs, and modify them to suite any specific s I may have. I wouldn't have thought, for instance, of 'looping' a Map without a model to inspire me, and ended up converting one into a giant 3 x 3 version of itself, and another made into a potentially infinite loop if I'd not invented a method for counting loops walked through. If I had a new Project to start, I'm sure that the experience gained and insight into how the default Maps have been done will help me enormously when starting from scratch. This, plus ideas and techniques gleaned from reading many great posts on the forum have boosted my confidence and competence; it has been (and still is..!) very much worthwhile.

Luninareph

Villager
Xy$
There seems to be a lot of prejudice against world maps these days, although I'm not really sure why. I like being able to get a bird's eye view of the world I'm wandering around in, personally. It makes it easier for me to understand where things are in relation to each other than having a bunch of interconnected areas.

Anyway, to address your question: what I do is, I start with the locations that I know are going to exist (y'know: starting town, bad guy's fortress, first dungeon, stuff like that) and I place them down approximately as far away from each other as I think they should be. Then I start filling in details around them. Is the villainous castle up on a mountain? Okay, so there's a mountain range to draw in. Towns need water, so is there a river by the player's hometown? Let's draw in the river, then. How am I going to "funnel" the player toward the correct path? Maybe I'll draw in a forest to block them off.

Once I've exhausted my initial ideas for the map, I start the story rolling and let it walk through the established locations. Almost inevitably, by the time I reach the end of the locations I've already created, my mind has an idea of where the player ought to go next: a volcano? A plateau? An island? So I just add that in and continue the story. By taking regular looks at how the map is forming and adding in things that look like they OUGHT to be there (i.e. why does this lush plain not have any people settled on it? Why does this important bottleneck not have an Imperial fortress to act as a lookout?) the map fills up quickly. Throw in some bonus areas, clean up your lines, and put a bit of polish on it, and your world map is good to go.

Jiriki9

Towns Guard
Xy$
Interesting topic. I am not going to use an ingame-world-map in my current project, but I have created one (with MV, not drawn) for planning purposes. In it, I lay out the Region in which the game is mainly happening, with tiles. It is not about accuracy for me, here, but to get an idea of my own world. With the regions layer I also have "drawn" the main nations and the Character paths. But that is more or less experimental. What matters, in my eyes, is to have an own idea of the world you are creating. I personally find it easier to support that with an existing, though not carved-in-stone, world map in the back of my mind.

hbn

Towns Guard
Xy$
What's this? A bump? XD

I have done a map overview of the world as such but the project now doesn't use an ingame world map. Originally when it was conceptualised under a different guise before it evolved into this there was a world map, which typically started off with a village in the top-left corner. It wasn't very accurate. This was back when it was an RMXP project and I used Inquisitor's tileset even though it clashed in style.

I've since decided to scrap that for an array of field maps. Purely because my idea has changed. I feel it immerses better, allows for more design and flexibility.

I've created a map, purely most as a reference for the wider universe since I'm still planning out lore and backstory. That said how I want to now show this map has also changed because as it stands it would be very difficult to reference properly given how the map and game wouldn't map up completely.

Instead how the map would be drawn follows this basis. 50x50, 100x50x 100x100 or 50x100 tiles. Default is the 50x50 and what is gonna get used the most. Because certain regions aren't accessible due to terrain I've no need to draw them other than a filler and I'm using the map I have as a reference. Might not be clear on this since I've faded the background but that huge bay at the side will not feature in game unless I decide to screw myself over with it and have driveable ships.

What I have ATM though. Hopefully instead of just being like that it'll actually show the map tiles as a zoomable and more interactive thing depending on how easy it would be to do or how much JS and processing it'd take to load a basic rundown of all the field/town maps.

As it stands the image I'm working on is 2400x2700 pixels, which out as 48x54 tiles. Depending on scale I might still adjust this figure further. Not discounting areas I will make inaccessible or adjusting for the larger tiles, it'll take a max of 2,592 maps. This will be an issue given the default max is 999. I'll have to use Zeriab's Extra Maps plugin to work but I don't know what side effects may be of having so many maps nor quite how to use it. Some plugins don't exactly have informative documentation. I will need it since I'll also need maps for the rest of the game. The only other solution is to either scrap that idea as being too ambitious or cheat and loosen the limit though huge maps with loads of events can cause slowdown. Each settlement will share an interior map though.

How much work that causes also depends on scale too. Minus certain areas I plan on the game being quite open world. Won't necessarily all have a need but it'll be there. Considering certain villages are two maps wide and cities will be possibly nine maps wide, I might need to alter the scale somewhat.

. . .when i design maps. . .i have crucial points to make. . .especially world maps ( which i rarely do anymore, since they are boring to me ). . .

. . .starting place and ending place. . .that's all. . .then decide how many dungeons you will take between them, done? decide if you need town in between the dungeons. . .done? you're set. . .

. . .the position can be very random as you like, events can bar the player progress to places you don't the players to visit. . .

. . .afraid of placing the end too far? loop the map, there's never be too far. . .