Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What type of GRINDER are you ? :D

What type of GRINDER are you ? :D

• Paper GRINDER?! (Means grind alot of super weak insta-killed normal enemies)

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Metal GRINDER?!(Means grind some strong enemies that don't die fast but more rewards)

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Random GRINDER?!(Meh...anything goes as long as I'm grinding decent enough)

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Lazy GRINDER?!(Grinding...Meh too lazy...*gets ass whooped by boss*)

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
The thing with me and grinding is I only do it if I really need to, or I'm in one of those moods where I would like to level up a few times to have comfortable battles. My style of play with most RPG's is relaxed, I enjoy stories more than fighting in them I like to finish the game and if it was really good I'll go back and play again but this time around focusing on getting everything completed, which usually involved more grinding.

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
In old school runescape, around 2006ish I spent a whole month no lifing Woodcutting. I got 98 woodcutting in less than a month, I would stay up 2-3 days at a time without sleeping just to hit 99. It normally takes about 3-6 months of hardcore grinding to get 99 and I reached it in almost a month. I would have got 99 but Jagex banned me do to assumptions that I was botting. So, I think I'm on a whole new level of grinding lol. I actually really enjoy grinding, and the sense of achievement once the grinding is done.

I don't like grinding. Therefore, I'm a Lazy Grinder. I find it boring and repetitive, and my mind loses focus so I attack the "wrong" enemy and and end up getting whopped! I like games that don't rely exclusively on grinding - bashing as many enemies as you can safely! - just to level up to beat the next boss. Yes, grinding is an essential part of it, but if it's tempered with quests, side-quests, repeatable tasks, etc. that involve a bit of enemy-hitting, collecting, or bouncing around the place, and even minigames that award XP, then it balances it out.

In old school runescape, around 2006ish I spent a whole month no lifing Woodcutting.
Oh I remember those days. With me it was Woodcutting and Fishing, and very little else if I'm honest. I'd do the occasional quests, venture into depths unknown, get my butt kicked, then run hell-for-leather to collect my stuff before anyone else did....

Unfortunately, when they changed it I quit. It was NOT Runescape any more. I couldn't deal with the new interface. It was cumbersome and not something I could get comfortable with. The sad part is that I'd been playing Runescape from the beginning (various accounts over the years). I subscribed for quite a bit of that period (when they started charging for it). But the saddest part is I know MANY die-hard players who'd been there right from the beginning, when the very first version was released, and whose investment in the game amounted to $1000s of dollars, also quit, some never to return.

Troctzul

Troctzul: Father, RPG Maker, Conqueror of Worlds
Xy$
Took me a second to think about it, but realized I'm a metal grinder, simply because I prefer the challenge and bigger reward. I remember playing FF8 all the way through, only because of how hard it was...

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
I think that i am metal grinder then. Look at bebe. Bebe is strong. She used to grind all day long
screenshot074.jpg Ma bebe
I handle grinding different, always depending on game and such. In this ^ fe I have to start to grind when I'm lvl X6 till I'm lvl X0 and do the quests that are left. I have a repeatable quests and they're like this "kill 100 of these monsters and ill give you 3.000.000 xp (maybe 2%)", these monsters are fighting in the distance and make way too much damage (as I am distance fighter too (archer) and normally kill them by poisining them and make them run after me but thats barely possible when they shoot magic damage shit at me D:). But there's no other quest left and it's almost like grinding :( But I bet that I spent atleast 300+ hours of grinding with bebe, atleast it feels like its that much time.

For normal grinding I'm actually taking every chance I get ( did a lot of unnecessary grinding in pokémon lol) but I'd be too lazy to grind in ff games. Played ff3 and even there it took me hours to finish a dungeon sometimes ir the boss monsters! Well, I know that especially in ff games the boss monsters consume much time. I watched my sister playing ff7 dirge of ceberus, ff13 and ff13-2 and trying to kill certain bosses for hours. But I guess that's a different topic XD If I realize that Im too weak or left behind in games other than ff then I take all the time I can get. When I was 12 I went downstairs at 9pm and turned the computer on to grind. I often left at 4am and went to bed so my parents wouldn't notice.

Grinding is tiring though

Arkman

Villager
Xy$
Grinding is only fun if there's a tangible goal in mind (a chance for an upgrade). If the game doesn't reward grinding, it better have something else to keep the players attention.

If a game is built around grinding (in that it makes grinding rewarding) then i'm more likely to enjoy the grind, but if the game doesn't place emphasis on grinding (no significant punishment for not grinding, or no significant reward for grinding, or both) then i'm less inclined to grind in general.

Games not built around grinding are usually story driven. Legend of Dragoon, Skies of Arcadia, etc. are more about progressing the story and don't really give significant rewards for grinding. Leveling up in one area may make the upcoming boss a bit easier but that boss isn't too bad even if you just run into them without fighting more battles than necessary.

Games built around grinding usually require that you grind in order to progress. Ragnarok Online is a good example. There is no 'story' to speak of. You make your own based on your interactions with other players. In order to really progress, you need to find upgrade cards, slotted equipment, and grind a LOT of enemies. A lot of classes involved kiting a bunch of enemies and one shotting them with a powerful AoE attack. Similarly, boss monsters usually dropped some of the best loot and upgrade cards, and took teams that were built around taking them out in order to defeat. They had both paper-grinding and metal-grinding in that game, but you needed to do a lot of paper-grinding before getting to the metal.

I'd call myself a paper grinder, just because I like the feeling of watching a bunch of enemies drop at once and seeing a bunch of loot drop at once. In Ragnarok, I built characters that could take out a horde of enemies at once, since the game was designed such that each enemy had a very low (0.01%) chance of dropping their cards. By taking this approach, I could get more cards than by taking out tougher enemies one at a time (even if those enemies dropped more valuable cards).

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
I only grind when it is needed to survive without risk of dying or to make a weak character I love stronger (probably my favorite thing about RPGs). I don't like being overpowered and ripping through the game just because I spent a lot of time grinding. But that seems to be the JRPG mindset in general- "work" hard doing repetitive things and succeed strongly in "life".

Micro

Dragon Goddess
I try not to grind in order to get the best experience possible (read: close to the intended experience/difficulty) but a lot of times I wind up grinding for hours like I did in Fire Emblem Fates and steamroll the game.

Whoops.... I guess I'm a pretty big grinder most of the time, IF it is fun anyway. unlike FFXIII grind, URGGHH... i couldnt stand the grind in that game, it was so boring and felt so unrewarding.... I like to see noticeable progress if I'm grinding and it can't be too tedious or I'll just get pissed off/bored and quit lol.

so yeah, I have to see steady progress if I'm grinding or I won't do it

hbn

Towns Guard
Xy$
Probably a random grinder. I don't go to the extent that I aim to one-shot everything that comes across my path, but so that I'm keeping up with the game enough not to fall behind and can still deal with bosses.

I do like having the ability just to one shot everything just to see how high I can get my damage but that's more of a late game thing than early game. I do need a bit of a challenge to keep me interested, otherwise too easy and I just lose interest.