Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are your favorite Original character and place names (AND WHY)?

Iron Croc

I eat my fries with fire.
Xy$
Tell me, ladies and gents. What are your favorite place and character names? I want to know.
And tell me WHY! I'm curious to know the stories behind your favorite original place and character names?

Characters can be from any non canon title, preferably one under your development! Same with places.

Rules:
  • Follow Forum Rules.
  • No one-word replies.

Chibae

Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca
Chibi, in my game finding chibi :P because she is evil and has a skill called roooooood and she is mean to small children. Favourite place hm that is a hard one. Brutal caverns was in finding chibi as well, and it was like my 2nd dungeon area I made and its my prettiest place I made :P

Iron Croc

I eat my fries with fire.
Xy$
That's awesome. For me, it's Julius, because I named him after Orange Julius, a local hot dog/orange smoothie chain. :D

And place name is probably Crocodile Village, just because the name sounds terrifying as all heck, but in reality the feel and vibes of the place are anything but. :D

Micro

Dragon Goddess
Karzelon : the name of the planet where my all-female dragon-humanoid race is from
Zerekais : the name of aforementioned race
Zyrka : the "holy book" of the Zerekais
Zethriabezel : "Dragon Mother" - basically 'god'
Quarienthra : Queen of the Zerekais
Merieth : Princess of the Zerekais

Asrantiel : basically the goddess of dreams, but she takes on the form of a dragon in my stories
Talraaye : one of the Council of Six (basically 6 major gods of the universe--he's a wind phoenix who presides over the element of Wind)

Umbrielle & Scintil : the twin dreaming gods, whose dreams created "everything else". they reside in the Core of Creation and sleep for eternity, until . . .

Merschzera : my badass black dragon OC
Yzumeri : the day to Merschzera's night (white/gold dragon)

and a lot of others, but those are the ones that came to mind first... (cheeky) basically, all but the last two are extremely important in my universe (that spans across all of my stories in general). the last two are just two names that I think are very cool. those two characters were really neat, and I'd like to use them in a future story.

Jazeeri

Villager
Xy$
My favorite place is gone now, a text based mux called Firan which ran for gosh over 15 years (started as a tabletop game and progressed to a on line mux). It was created by Steph and Adam Dray. It was total immersion in a Roman/Greek like state. My character there was named Jazayeri and I fell in love with her story, difficult life and stubbornness. Steph Dray went on to author several books.

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
I actually go into some of my OC's character name resources on the Wiki, but since it's been down and there's a thread for it I'll list a couple of examples.

Typically my characters are slight twists on common or fantasy names, let's go through some examples.

Fyori Felicee: Fyora (Faerie Queen of Neopets) with an 'i' in place of the 'a', Fyori is also the queen of Spriteopia, but she's far less benevolent than Fyora is. Her last name is a reference to my Aunt Felicity (who's dead now) whom as a youth I used to miss the 't', she didn't like this behavior and corrected it with some stern tactics, but it ended up being a thing I remembered, and I used its phonetic sound to give Fyori her last name.
Esperia: Vesperia but with the V taken off, I hadn't played tales of Vesperia, just heard the name and thought of this, though her name is also inspired by two different Espers I've known, the Final Fantasy 8 Esper, which are like powerful summon creatures, which Esperia could easily fit the description of, but then there's also my friend Will, who some may remember as Esperhunter, he inspired her reckless, foolhardy obligation to follow her impulses, which sometimes gets her in trouble.
Sindyca: Based on the common name Sindica, I named my amazon in Diablo II-- Sindyca, and she did really well, thus I grew a liking for the name.)
Fatty McLarge: Based on my Paladin from WoW, I made him with my bro who was ManlyMcBuff.
Spooky Schema: The Spooky was in reference to his hooded appearance with two blue eyes being all that could be seen of his face, then Schema was both a play on that he's a schemer, and that his face could also be likened to several jack-o-lantern schema. It also was short for Schemata, and his role in the story was to provide schematics for a warship they could use to curb an invasion.
Autumn: Not in a published game yet, Autumn is one of my oldest OC's along with Ace, they are both very young children (barely 9 years old) who with two others are asked to save their world. Autumn's name was based off her palette, which is filled with vibrant oranges, yellows and browns.
Rolly: The first name, Rolly-- is the name of a stuffed toy in my youth who looks vaguely familiar to our Rolly of today, that inspired the green color and other behaviors, it's also an ode to the character of the same name in Disney's 101 Dalmation's series, which I watched a lot of during my teenage years.
Pep: Based off the word 'Peppy', which means to be skittish, excitable, manic-- just like Pep is.
Tristy: Based off of an older OC, Trixie. I've always liked the T' names that have two syllables and end in a vowel. Trixie's name was inspired by the character from Fairly Odd Parents, who is the protagonist's unreachable love interest.
Limbo: Based on the concept of 'between life and death', considering Limbo's role is to help out three living heroes on the mortal plane while being dead himself, the name is fairly literal, he's walking through the limbo all the time.
Nola Worthington: The last name is the same as my friend David's, who is from Britain, additionally, Nola's parent's names are Vaddi (anagram of David) and Kivik (Anagram of Vikki, my friend David's sister). Nola's first name is based on the character 'Narla' from Disney's Lion King, and phonetically is said almost the some way.
Sped: Based on the slang for a hyperactive goofball.
Sven: Based on several calm-natured humans of the same name I've read about.
Svoli Mystralese: I wanted a feminine version of Sven, and this was what worked, to boot, it also sounds like it could be a Russian, which is ideal given that Svoli is natively Russian, and migrated to escape the horrors of The Great War (War of Indifference, 2052-2082) Her last name is an old name of one of my WoW characters, the original inspiration has been lost to time.
Tiramesa Cookiedoe: The original progenitor of the Cookiedoe bloodline, she is Pep's grandmother, and may have been the one Seradath had his fun with, incidentally leading to her and the next of kin being instilled with the devil-gene. Tiramesa is a play on the Japanese word for coffee cake (Tira-Misu). The Cookiedoe name was one she created after she found out about her powers, to protect the others of her family, she cast herself out of the royalty and abandoned her ruling life to find another to share her powers with, so that she could pass on her powers to a new generation. Cookiedoe was created by her, it's an entirely senseless compound of cookie (a nickname she often got by the chefs in the royal kitchen) and doe (for her doe eyes), together it is said like onomatopoeia for Cookiedough, this has no relevance, it just sounds goofy.
Lyza: Her name is pronounced with more of a buzz, but it is based off the Earth name Lisa.
Tac Talismina: Her first name is a good-willed nod to Tak, from Invader ZIM-- whom she has a slightly shared character with, but personality wise, they couldn't be more different. Talismina is simply 'Talisman' with an italicized 'a' to append the feminine feel.
Orsa Overkill: If said with an accent, it's phonetically similar to the phrase "All so overkill!". His mentor who is dead by the present continuum of Menagerie shares in this gag, his name is "Iram Invincible", which is phonetically similar to "I am Invincible!"
Yasondre: Based on the Dragon of Nightmare in Vanilla World of Warcraft; Ysondre, an 'A' was added.
Blu: Based on Blueclover, my mage in WoW.
Galdath: Based on the word Gallant, affixed with 'dath', which isn't really anything.
Seradath: Based on the word Seraphim, interestingly, Seradath is the closest religious approximate to Satan, despite his name more or less meaning 'beautiful, melodious'. However, he's not unrelated to the Dark Seraphim, both Esperia and Anathema look to him as a mentor.
Safael: Originally his name was Safiercat, which is why he has black cat ears. He was renamed based on 'Saf' and the Archangel Tyrael (which is where he got the 'ael'), whom was a lot of his original inspiration.
Bubbles: Name inspired by Cobra "Bubbles" from Lilo and Stitch. Coincidentally, when Lilo is inspecting him, she asks him 'did he ever kill anyone?'. Bubbles also wears black pretty much entirely, which is another graceful nod to his inspiration.

Hoowhey! Alright I think that'll do!
Okay wow, I did way more than I though I would.

Last edited:

Essy

Towns Guard
Xy$
We got Kota Asal, which was literally "Hometown" in some language or another as a capital city.
Then names for people like the frail Talric (Almighty) and the traitor Trinette(innocence).
We're fans of ironic naming if you couldn't tell. :U

A current character being developed is a bit of a departure, which surrounded by so many "Aerith's" a "Bob" sounds pretty cool once in awhile,
so we also have Gerald of the Cross Slash.
Three guesses on his signature attack.

Alternatively names of some of the devs are fun to use since we have a pretty cool variety. Particularly fond of "Blair" as a common name.

In Tower of Agria(Placeholder Title, also under development) the naming decision behind Sam/Carolyn was specific to contrast their archtypes.

Sam is supposed to be more feminine overall and so we used an androgynous name for her.
Carolyn likewise is supposed to be presented as a rather rough character and a bit of a tomboy, so we gave her a name that was as feminine as possible.

ejronin

Villager
Xy$
Tell me, ladies and gents. What are your favorite place and character names? I want to know.
And tell me WHY! I'm curious to know the stories behind your favorite original place and character names?

Characters can be from any non canon title, preferably one under your development! Same with place.
The first game I tried to develop, my main character was named, Rent.

I used this as the charter name and the game title (which I plan to restart) because of the meaning in context to the game. Rent, is the past participle of 'rend,' or to tear apart. The entire idea was the character and player were lead to believe the righteous path was indeed righteous, and I employed an uncommon literary element: the unreliable narrator. That is, the person telling the story is a liar or hodes important facts from the audience, (No Country for Old Men, did this very well). It was the best way to remove predictability.

My favorite name place was "Ville de Mensonges," which means 'city of lies' in French. It was the first of a few tip offs to the player things may not have happened as presented. The city itself has a set of laws that strictly forbade dishonesty and valued integrity. The players enter the city, and as is customary in some countries 'invited' to observe a public execution...

noxyoursox

Villager
Xy$
My favorite place name is Sheinondiundi (shen-OHN-dee-OON-dee), the name of the universe most of my stories were set in when I was a teenager. I came up with it during typing practice in a middle school computer class, when I discovered I could make custom typing lessons (and proceded to invent a word that sounded like "undies", lol).

My favorite character names are Cricket and Soot, the name of a runaway slave and a cat who was transformed into a human in one of my stories (they were really close friends, so I have a hard time separating the two names, but I think I like Soot a bit more).

There are a few names I like because they just sound fun rolling off the tongue - Calliope, Baraxidni, but maybe my personal fave is Echiradne Abraxurxes, because I think I'm the only one who can pronounce it right, and it was just fun to come up with. I think I was on an Akkadian kick with names when I came up with that one.

For location names, hands down maybe Urushpimat. It's a fun word. Oo-RRRRHOOSH-p'matt. You try it.