Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visual Novel Dialogue System and Dating/Friendship Sim Mechanics

I know when I first wanted to make a dating sim, I had no guide to go by. Back in the Ace days, there was only one plugin that showed the dialogue system below and it was in Japanese (and thus, useless). I didn't know it could easily be evented! Well, maybe not easily. It does take a lot of work and it may seem like doing so much extra work than just typing dialogue regularly would be. However, it's worth it in my opinion. It adds much more versatility than, say, just a regular old message bust plugin. If there is anything else VN/Dating Sim related you'd like to know how to do, just ask and I probably know how to work it and would be happy to help~

I've never made videos before so they aren't that great. . .If you are familiar with the engine and eventing I'd recommend just downloading the demo project file >.<

This tutorial includes
-A Visual Novel type dialogue system
-Examples of creating branching situations based on the amount of affection a character has
-A fully customizable evened 'affection meter' common event activated from the menu screen
-Animated Portraits

Video Number One - Dialogue System
Plugins used

-TDDP's Preload Manager

-YEP_Message Core (Optional)

Coming Soon (it's in processing)​

Video Number Two - Affection Checking
Plugins used

Video Number Three - Branching Game Play
Plugins used

No Video Needed - Animated Pictures
Plugins used

-TDDP's Preload Manager

-Mog Hunter's Picture Effects

This is pretty self explanatory. In the editing file, you will be able to see the plugin call.​

Download
Note: All portraits and UI (images and windowskin) are made by me and are free for use and commercial and non-commercial projects as long as you give credit :)

Juneberry

Global Moderator
Xy$
I feel a dire need to note that this is wonderful of you to share, even including UI elements and such for free. You're doing a wonderful service by giving us a hands-on tutorial. I'm forever grateful <3