Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using an ATB System (Show enemy skill during "charge")

Ravani Lestari

Towns Guard
Xy$
Currently using Yanfly's ATB battle system, yet there isn't really a way you can see what skill an enemy is charging. This might not sound as important, but in the game I am designing, I have four types of arts. Mind, Character, Left Arm, and Right Arm. If you have played the etrian series, you can disable different appendages and prevent the enemy from using certain skills. When considering the etrian mechanics, the skills do not charge, but they work in a pattern. Etrian is punishing in a sense because you almost have to go into a boss fight without knowing the pattern.

I would feel more comfortable if when an enemy in my game charges a skill, it will show so that the player has enough time to react and can interrupt it and disable the deadly skill before it is used. This way, if the player's party is wiped, it isn't the game's fault, it's the player's.

If not through code, what are some suggestions you can provide where it shows an enemy is "readying" a specific action?