Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resource icon

Trials of a Loyalist EP-1: A New Captain 0.1b

No permission to download

daedric

Villager
Xy$
daedric submitted a new resource:

Trials of a Loyalist EP-1: A New Captain - A newly promoted Captain must gather his team to do the bidding of Clan Naga Sadow.

Trials of a Loyalist
Episode 1: A New Captain
***Please Note: ToaL is still in development and this publish is so far from being done.

This is just the first 5-10 minuets of gameplay and I'm uploading this because I really want to get some feedback. This is the first EVER game I have created using RPG Maker MV, and really any game at all.

ToaL Episode 1 is about a Loyalist named Crixus. (Pronounced Criks-Us)He has just finished his Trials in the Academy and...
Read more about this resource...

Sinnistar

Praised Adventurer
lol the file is that large due to Kodakawa having useless assets in the core of RM MV. But you can prolly make it smaller if you remove anything that you won't be using in it.

Also, I'll check it out for you and give some professional feedback! The first project is always a big deal, especially if it's an actual rpg. So it's important to get some quality feedback on it so you can make it the best you can. It does sound interesting heh, a little vague but interesting.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I noticed you were remarking about the file size. Have you deleted the images not used, except for vehicle.png, before doing employment? There is also an application named MV Stripper that removes common files not used. Have you zipped it? That also will make download file size smaller.

MV Stripper Thread.

If you use a lot of custom graphics, this thread may help also: SMALLER GAME FILES

Last edited:

JibstaMan

Towns Guard
Xy$
It's a good start. I started with simply looking around in the first map, since I was surprised by the futuristic look (I guess I'm biased to medieval RPGs). I liked how it looked.

I don't really understand the holo-call. Since I just talked to General Link, why would he call me? He said he was "actually impressed", only to call me and say I need to learn to follow instructions. Not sure whether there's more to the story, which isn't in the demo yet, but as it currently is, it seems a bit weird to me.

I also ran into the switch problem, just to confirm what you already know (without spoilers...)

The Consul's Estate building looks really high from the outside (and quite impressive), but the inside is a mere 1 tile high (and out of shape, not sure you're that perfectionistic... I am, mostly). I'd recommend to make it at least two tiles high. Also, I think I would change a few things with the interior design. Not sure how to explain, so here is an edited image (quick and a bit dirty):

added "exterior walls" and moved the exit a tile down. Also added interior walls, where they we're missing.

Those are my two cents. Take from it what you will. Keep enjoying making your game and I'm looking forward to any future demos!

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
AS the file was unzipping, I did notice that all of the original battlebacks, title screens, and enemies were still part of your game. Removing the unused ones can save you some file size. :)

Chibae

Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca
could u add more screenshots please, like wot kind of battles u will have. I tend to not download games unless they have a few screenies :) thanks

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The music is upbeat.
On the first map, there is a pipe that Crixus can walk under, but the pipe appears to connect to the bottom of a computer terminal.
Later when Crixus is reprimanded for something the player would not know existed, is this intentional?
It looks like a good beginning.

Last edited:

daedric

Villager
Xy$
Thank you guys so much for your feedback!!! I really appreciate it and will make all the adjustments.

@JibstaMan Thanks! So what I was trying to go towards was General Link is okay with Crixus, but still has that asshole commanding officer appeal. While I'll admit that I need re-work the dialogue to make that more apparent in the beginning. The holo-call was something I was testing out and I was trying to do the whole timer event but couldn't figure it out. My goal was to when you enter the North Fort Caragas that a timer would start for 3 min and then after that the holo-call would appear. Couldn't figure this out so hopefully someone here can help me out :p

@EvilChibi I'll upload some screenshots tonight! Got to love working the night shift :p

@MinisterJay The idea of having the reprimand was if the player walked around looking at things it would aggravate the General. I may need to revisit the idea.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Did you see the pipe I mentioned earlier, on the very first map. The character can walk under it, yet it is connected to the bottom of the computer terminal.

Sinnistar

Praised Adventurer
Alright, so I've finally gotten a chance to test it out for ya. First off, I gotta say that epic battle music doesn't fit for just running to see someone, it throws off the mood that should go with that.

Also found this http://prntscr.com/9v24uk . You can walk on this higher road by stepping onto it from the "ground level" which shouldn't be possible heh. Might want to block access to the top direction for those tiles.

I like that the general dude will actually punish you for exploring rather than doing what he says, but the outside text makes no sense (as pointed out by others, he punishes you right after you leave the building which wouldn't technically be slacking as he says, you're doing what he says so why punish you for it lol). Also, the guards outside the consul building have no helmets on the sprites, but when you talk to them it shows them with helmets, it throws off any belief they are guards.

Heh, found this too. http://prntscr.com/9v27m3 You don't have a wall blocking the "ceiling" tiles so you can literally just walk on them. There's also the missing ceiling part and walls that was pointed out before.

So finally, what I think of it. So far you have a storyline that's got a good idea behind it but I don't see it actually connecting anywhere, it seems all over the place. The environment is very empty, but prolly due to not being finished yet of course. I'd suggest using the larger vehicles as well (the ones other people have made from the defaults) so those appear more realistic in size comparing to the characters. Why is there children in an area where they seem like a heavily fortified and dangerous base with toxic and waste materials lying around? So, overall, I think you just need to figure out how to connect everything so that it follows the story you want to present. This can easily be done by providing some backstory to why the consul might want to see you, as well as maybe putting in a starting cutscene that will auto start rather than expecting the player to just know to talk to the guy (I mean, most people will get this by default yeah, but there are some that would be like "OH DOOR, I'm Leaving!" and just walk out lol ruining that whole scene and any linked to it.) That's all I can think of right now, but yeah I'll check out any further updates you put out of this since it does seem like it can have an interesting story behind it.