Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Translation and Localization for RMMV games

Harmless

Towns Guard
Hey guys,

I come from Quebec, Canada. It's a french province in the far right of Canada.
I wanted to know if anyone had any theories on how to develop a plugin that facilitates translation.

I've been playing with the idea that I would make a JavaScript tool that would export all the text out of the map.js files out into a .txt that could then be re-imported after translation. The problem with this idea is that I'd be working on two files\two games at the same time.

Recently, a second idea pop'd up. A plugin that would allow you to import text from multiple .txt, in game.
So for example:

If I write in a text box
Code:
\n<Alex>
Oh! Oups... \t<0132>
\t<0132> would be replaced with the information I stocked in the .txt at line 132.

My questions are:
Would this plugin interest anyone else?
Are \t<id> the way to go?

Boy Who Codes

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
About the translation plugin, it could be done, but it takes a huge amount of hard work to pull the library of translation. This means that the developer would have to create a library of the parts of the languages that would be translated through the entire game. While there are external / third party plugins you can use with MV to translate things, the same thing remains; that you have to build a library of the translation.

See translate.js

Even if you use it, there's a huge amount of translation you'll need to do yourself. This is given, as there's no way you can translate everything in a flash. I think it can be done with google translate and a javascript API, but I have not seen anyone dabbling with that with MV just yet.

As for the localization, sorry but I am out of words how it can be done at the moment.

Harmless

Towns Guard
Having a .js do the translating wasn't what I had in mind.
Though, I will look into it, now that you pointed it out.

My thought process was aligned towards easing a translator's job while making it a simple solution for the developers.
That said, thanks for the reply.

Boy Who Codes

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
I see, sorry if I misunderstood. If you're looking for a plugin that somehow replaces the translated document, I think that's more than possible. Though I feel JSON files would be much better than a txt, but nevertheless it has the same effect.