Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is my trick to keeping track of things, what tricks do you use?

Jazeeri

Villager
Xy$
So I came upon this idea as I realized that some characters I am making I want to use several ways throughout the plot of the project and would eventually need switches added as I decided how this would actually be evented. So I came up with a place holder event name called: "Needs More" I name the event that, so I can just search that name to find where I want to add more. It felt innovative to me and simple. Now I have a way to keep track of places that need more work.

Then I began to wonder, how do other designers keep track of places they want to add things? (Prior to this revelation I was just making notes in my binder).

Anyone have any tricks they use when working on a project?

Jazeeri

Villager
Xy$
Part of my first year in game development series.

Okay sharing a new trick (at least to me) which I figure out today.

If you are making a quest series which needs many objects that are across a few maps, tip of the day. Make a map/room and construct the entire quest in the room, switches and all the steps there. The npcs the whole works. set up stations and then bug test your quests series in a simple spot. Does it work? When it does, then copy and past it where it's supposed to be. I wish I would have thought of that one first.

I bet I am not the first to think of this, but when you are setting up a 5 stage quest with multiple steps.. I think this is the way I will do it next time :) (20/20 hindsight).

I hope more seasoned developers who have great tips, post here.