Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The power of RPG Maker i.m.o.

samorious

Towns Guard
When I first found out about RPG Maker I was exited. Finally an engine wich doesn't require that much coding.

I started trying out new ideas, but after a while I realized that I was somewhat limited in the graphic capabilities (Since I am a designer its the first thing I stumbled upon).

Thats when I started looking for other engines. I tried to work with Unity for a couple of weeks but it turned out to be a big disaster.

I stopped working on my project for about a month and then decided to give RMMV a second chance. That's when I learned myself scripting events etc.

And that is where the power of RMMV lies in my opinion. With relatively easy scripting you can create a varied gameplay with tons of different system and mechanics. It feels like you have got some small sticks you can play with, not hard to learn but the possibilities are almost endless. I think that as an Indie Game Dev who might not be that good with scripting and programming the RPG Maker software is a great way to create your game. It doesn't take that long to master and it is really simple in its use.

I am very glad and excited I discovered RPG Maker. While still not beeing a programmer I have the freedom to add anything to my projects that I think is important without scripting for weeks(if my calculations are wrong tell me please)

So yeah, this may not be the most informative thread ever. I just wanted to share my thoughts about RMMV. Please leave yours also. I am very curious :-)

Have a great day,
samorious

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The previous version had the basic sprite set at 32 X 32 pixels. With it now being 48 X 48, it gives us more detailing options. That extra 50% gives much more detail. If we want bigger sprites, just add an [!] before it, and more option are available. The SV_Actors are 64 X 64 pixels, but I like some of mine larger, much larger, 128 X 128 pixels plus.

We now have 171 plugins, and that number is going to grow.

Other engines I have bought, IMO, are limited in making true RPGs. They might a make a doable FPS, but that is not my genre. They were more expensive and are just collecting dust.

Appreciate your input.

samorious

Towns Guard
The previous version had the basic sprite set at 32 X 32 pixels. With it now being 48 X 48, it gives us more detailing options. That extra 50% gives much more detail. If we want bigger sprites, just add an [!] before it, and more option are available. The SV_Actors are 64 X 64 pixels, but I like some of mine larger, much larger, 128 X 128 pixels plus.

We now have 171 plugins, and that number is going to grow.

Other engines I have bought, IMO, are limited in making true RPGs. They might a make a doable FPS, but that is not my genre. They were more expensive and are just collecting dust.

Appreciate your input.
About the sprites you are indeed right and so on with the plugins, what I meant to say about it in the article was that it was not what I expected and it felt like I was limited, though that is not the truth.

Furthermore I agree with what you say :-)

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
Thats when I started looking for other engines. I tried to work with Unity for a couple of weeks but it turned out to be a big disaster.
Same here. It's much hard work to do graphics in one's own and they don't always turn out how one expected them to. A time back I tried to use Unity but it was literally a desaster. Rpg maker my love~ I came back for you(love)
Totally agree by the way. It's the easiest way to create your own world and have the freedom to be able to do whatever you want. My creative soul is crying~ And the maker is really capable. I've seen stuff which I didn't even imagine to be possible with rm.

samorious

Towns Guard
Same here. It's much hard work to do graphics in one's own and they don't always turn out how one expected them to. A time back I tried to use Unity but it was literally a desaster. Rpg maker my love~ I came back for you(love)
Totally agree by the way. It's the easiest way to create your own world and have the freedom to be able to do whatever you want. My creative soul is crying~ And the maker is really capable. I've seen stuff which I didn't even imagine to be possible with rm.
Indeed thats the thing that really amazed me. Things you see in AAA Games, mechanics or so are so easily made with rpg maker. Way easier than I thought. As the adventurer I am :p I am really excited to explore every possibility in it XD
[doublepost=1456951936,1456951840][/doublepost]
welp, time to get back to work I guess XD. Btw, you have any finished games or demos I am able to try?

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
Indeed thats the thing that really amazed me. Things you see in AAA Games, mechanics or so are so easily made with rpg maker. Way easier than I thought. As the adventurer I am :p I am really excited to explore every possibility in it XD
I used to do everything with events but months ago I found out about moghunter, soul and other awesome scripters who made completely new gameplay elements or even rewrote the normal gameplay of rpg maker. This all is just so inspiring and interesting to try for oneself x3
Unfortunately I belong to these people who never finished a game ewe i have a crappy one year old demo in German though but it's nothing serious (or what makes sense. It isnt even supposed to make sense)
But I'm loooking forward to seeing your game :D I've never seen something like this and is very inspiring (and the atmosphere and the graphics they're wow!) rmmv givess you the opportunities you need, go and do something awesome!~
Edit: Sorry for sloppy internet, made a doublepost

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When it comes to graphics, I often opt to go with 'Tru 2D' and make them with only width and height, leaving out depth, going for the real retro feel. I have seen some people come close to duplicating 3D. I must remain true to my old signature, "Just say 'NO' to 3D."

@Macro. You may desire to do what I did. Start making mini-games. When I had VX Ace, I had never finished a single game. With MV, I have completed over 7.

samorious

Towns Guard
When it comes to graphics, I often opt to go with 'Tru 2D' and make them with only width and height, leaving out depth, going for the real retro feel. I have seen some people come close to duplicating 3D. I must remain true to my old signature, "Just say 'NO' to 3D."

@Macro. You may desire to do what I did. Start making mini-games. When I had VX Ace, I had never finished a single game. With MV, I have completed over 7.
Aah okay that sounds interesting, I am curious about the games you have created so far. As for myself, I didn't go for the retro look. I am using the top down perspective. To give me more freedom in drawing. The video down below is a little showcase of the graphics used for it.

On the mini game part, a lot of people have told me that and it might indeed be best to start with, but me as a stubborn person didn't listen. Right now I am working on quite a big project. Same as in the video. I have the luck to still be in highschool, wich gives me plenty of time to experiment and work on it ( what I have been doing for the past 5 months) At last, just to clear things up, you might think I am an crazy fool trying to create a whole game on my own for the first time. That is not the case. I am working together with my best friend Levi who composes music and does video editing and another friend called Caitlynn who will be helping with game art. My best friend Levi and I have also created a collective called "Toxic Monkeys" to start these types of projects while accepting help from other enthusiast people.

Well hear me rambling XD,
Maybe its just because I am young and stupid... We'll see

Thanks for your reply,
samorious
[doublepost=1456956405,1456955131][/doublepost]
I used to do everything with events but months ago I found out about moghunter, soul and other awesome scripters who made completely new gameplay elements or even rewrote the normal gameplay of rpg maker. This all is just so inspiring and interesting to try for oneself x3
Unfortunately I belong to these people who never finished a game ewe i have a crappy one year old demo in German though but it's nothing serious (or what makes sense. It isnt even supposed to make sense)
But I'm loooking forward to seeing your game :D I've never seen something like this and is very inspiring (and the atmosphere and the graphics they're wow!) rmmv givess you the opportunities you need, go and do something awesome!~
Edit: Sorry for sloppy internet, made a doublepost
If you release something keep me updated ;-).
Its really great to hear that you like the game for so far. Gives me more hope to continue. Ill see where we will strand eventually XD

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@samorious . Here is the Silver Place winner of the forum's 2015 Christmas Contest Event (CCE): [PC Version] and [Mac Version]. It is a 'Tru 2D' game. I have 3 of my games, and 1 demo on this site. If you are talking about monochrome nostalgia I have RETRO B&W Demo: A Simple RPG [PC Version] and [Mac Version] . The last one is not a game, but a demo on how a darkened B&W game would look like. ALL of my games and demos are uploaded on this site, and not externally linked.

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
Haha, RPG Maker is definitely one of the lowest difficulty programs to work with as it's got a very tidy and understandable interface, that said, it also has a very high skill ceiling to the determined and experimental.

And standing out is not too difficult if you have a very unique sort of vision of what you want to make. That said ultimately the gameplay ceiling for RPGmaker unless you're a damn lunatic like myself is fairly low, which encourages really solid writing, character interaction and charm to disguise or damper the lack of in-depth mechanics.

samorious

Towns Guard
Haha, RPG Maker is definitely one of the lowest difficulty programs to work with as it's got a very tidy and understandable interface, that said, it also has a very high skill ceiling to the determined and experimental.

And standing out is not too difficult if you have a very unique sort of vision of what you want to make. That said ultimately the gameplay ceiling for RPGmaker unless you're a damn lunatic like myself is fairly low, which encourages really solid writing, character interaction and charm to disguise or damper the lack of in-depth mechanics.
Hahaha yup very true, nice video btw. Looks like it took quite some time setting him up though :P