Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion - Reduced File Size

When porting a simple one level project to android the final .apk file was over 300 MB. I know there are already programs that help reduce the final .apk file size by removing unused assets (graphics, music, etc...) but it would be great if MV done this itself when it deployed the project. This would prevent bloatware.

Jason

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
Moved to MV Discussion, Feedback Suggestion & Help section is for the community only, not MV editor related.

I'm unsure if you're aware of this but we are not the developers/publishers of Rpg Maker so your suggestion will probably not reach the publisher. That being said it can still be open for discussion, I do agree, having the option to remove unwanted assets would be very useful but unfortunately, they don't think of everything. There are many things I wish MV had, like an actual mapping layer system, the option to chose a single tile from the autotiles, resource manager, etc.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
HI Jason. I have used some applications that help reduce the file size by taking unused assets out, BUT they do not actually get all of them out. I have reduced an additional 50 to 60 megs by physically removing graphic images not used. Have you looked at physically removing the unused images missed by stripper programs?

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
Can't help ya much, though I did use file optimizer to squeeze down a lot of image sizes. I also converted all of my music and sound effects with Audacity to 22050 Hz and 96 kpbs which reduced the game's size to a little under 200 MB, and that's with most of the default assets in there (and under 100 MB without all them in there, though @Micro insists on keeping all the unused ones in there >_<). Thanks a lot for telling us about MV Stripper though, very handy!

If you want to limit the number of default resources check this out - https://steamcommunity.com/app/363890/discussions/3/483368526579172065/

Basically, just tweak what's in your NewData folder.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I am impressed with how quickly the MV community is at providing help. I am experimenting with different file reduction programs now to see which does the best job. I would still like to have it added to MV so it would automatically do it without me having to run an extra program each time. I will send a suggestion directly to the publisher.

Jason

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
To save time, I took out most of the RTP from the main file out and stored them elsewhere. By this, it sames time when starting a new project and takes out what the strippers miss.
Some people don't like that method, but it's out there. @Micro debated with me for hours on the subject. xD The link I provided will explain how to find the NewData folder though. Personally I prefer pick and choose instead of having a mountain of unused resources sitting in my project.

Glad to help Jason, and glad to have ya!