Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sparkling Usernames

Keep or Remove the Sparkling Usernames

• Keep them!

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Remove them!

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
Hello everyone, as many of you may have noticed Admins and Mods have sparkling usernames. I'm thinking about incorporating them in the forum, and wanted to get your opinion on the matter. Would you all like to see these used, or would you like them to be removed.

I might be adding some special ranks here soon, and they will have sparkling usernames as well as some other features to them. This is why I'm testing them out, and I'd like your opinion on the matter.

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
I'm really not a fan of it myself. On thread pages it looks fine, but it's really distracting when I'm just scrolling through the forum's main page. The blue sparkles also make moderator names difficult to read >_>

Seriel

[Insert Member Title]
I'm really not a big fan of it myself. On thread pages it looks fine, but it's really distracting when I'm just scrolling through the forum's main page. The blue sparkles also make moderator names difficult to read >_>
Yeah I know right, Anysirls.. wait. Is that right?

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
@Xyphien Could sparkling banners be an alternative or something? I really think the worst thing we could do is make it difficult to read staff names. >_>

Edit: Or maybe a simpler effect like:

Last edited:

Sinnistar

Praised Adventurer
I think the idea of different name styles is neat, but maybe have them different from the sparkles? They're other ways to animate the names I'm sure. The sparkles can sometimes make it difficult to read, yeah. Definitely like the other idea as well. Change is good.

Iron Croc

I eat my fries with fire.
Xy$
To be honest, I think it's a bad idea. Too many sensitive sallies with no spines would get far too butthurt seeing other people with sparkly names and not them. I vote no.

My blunt two cents in.

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
To be honest, I think it's a bad idea. Too many sensitive sallies with no spines would get far too butthurt seeing other people with sparkly names and not them.
Lol Sensitive Sallies can be sensitive sallies and no one important will be effected.

I thought of that too and giggled a bit. That's literally the least worrying thing, you don't cater to sensitive sallies, that's how you get places full of entitled whining kids, see rmvxace.net for one of the best examples of this.

The main reasons I'd be against this is the one Amy pointed out, transparency of role. Personally, I think making them optional would be cool. Or maybe only have it show in posts and not on the overall forum.

I hope I can get a username that burns with fire someday! Maybe when I make a great contribution someday!
I think secondary effects could be used the incentivize the community!

Micro

Dragon Goddess
I think it is a cool idea!

I also agree with Black Shadow, that secondary effects could give incentive to people to donate/contribute/make games. Cool effects are a great reward for being active here on the forum.!

So yeah, since you said you're considering new ranks that will have sparkly names (OoOoOOoOoo sparklies!) I'm gonna vote yes! When you decide how these new ranks would be earned, please let us know. :D

I know I'd be a little more motivated to make a game and upload it here if I could get a sparkly name! lol (snicker)

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
I'm surprised sparkles aren't very popular. I don't think it's going to slide. :(

Oh wait, the poll says we are actually in the majority, the silent majority, it seems!

Cate

Adventurer
Xy$
I agree that they should not be used on USERNAMES but definitely would be cool to have a sparkling feature that can be turned on/off or somewhere other than the username.

Sinnistar

Praised Adventurer
Lol Sensitive Sallies can be sensitive sallies and no one important will be effected.

I thought of that too and giggled a bit. That's literally the least worrying thing, you don't cater to sensitive sallies, that's how you get places full of entitled whining kids, see rmvxace.net for one of the best examples of this.

The main reasons I'd be against this is the one Amy pointed out, transparency of role. Personally, I think making them optional would be cool. Or maybe only have it show in posts and not on the overall forum.
That's kind of how I see it. Rule 1, can't please everyone so only try with the more important ones lol. Attempting to listen to "those" types of people will only cause issues later. But yeah I agree entirely with that they might not be able to see the names in several sections of the forum, especially with the blue color since I can barely read Amy's myself. The red stands out and so that one is very easy to see. That's why I say maybe something a little less "hiding" than the sparkles for others. An option to use it would also be a decent idea too since some may actually prefer it.

Micro

Dragon Goddess
Personally, I think making them optional would be cool. Or maybe only have it show in posts and not on the overall forum.
oh yeah, I also forgot to mention that I agree with this. on the member list it doesn't seem necessary, but it's a neat effect for posts =)

Optional sparklies with a color picker for your sparklies? yes, please!

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I'm all for the sparkles, I don't see any issues with having it, other than the visibility of the name, which can be easily fixed with either smaller sparkles or a few more effects.

David FoxFire

Adventurer
Xy$
I'd like to have an option to turn the sparkles on and off. Once I found out why you did it, I don't find them destracting anymore. (I'll admit to being curious why you coded that in.)

Status
Not open for further replies.