Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Chance [In Development]

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team

Engine:
RPG Maker MV
Synopsis:

Chance knew from the day he was born that he was bound for greatness. Unfortunately, Chance was horribly misguided in this assumption.

In the far-away city of Los Cactus, there have been murders most foul. Monster-kind is being shunned from the streets, the blame for these murders falling on their shoulders. An election on the horizon threatens to jeopardize their position in the world even further! Just who will step up to save them?

Unfortunately for the monsters, that person is Chance Thomson, a hopelessly errant detective who struggles to tie his own shoelaces! Monster-kind's only hope lies in he and his new partner, a mysterious lady named Grace. With her help, can Chance shape up and solve the mysteries surrounding Los Cactus?

Play as Chance in a collection of mysteries against tricky foes and cunning set-ups! Piece together clues to discover the villain's narrative, and do your best not to nab the wrong guy! Meet a wide cast of colorful characters, from zombie waitresses to your very own Slime Friend™, and try to break a very inconvenient sleep cycle!​

Characters:
Chance, the Not-So-Super Sleuth:
A young detective controlled by you, the player! He was born and raised in a small town, on the other side of the country from Los Cactus, but moved to the city in order to meet more babes. Instead, he found himself in a dead-end detective gig, trying to find the person who murdered his social life.

Grace, the Very Good Bad Cop: New to Los Cactus, Grace is able to put her skills to work getting Chance in line. She's a cop at heart, and the only thing she likes more than beating up baddies and putting them behind bars is a well-deserved drink after a long day.

The Boss: Leaving on a so-called business trip to the tropical isles of Vana Hula, she leaves Chance and Grace at the helm of the detective agency. How will Chance survive without his mentor?

Gameplay Features:
Branching dialogue: The way you choose to interact with witnesses will not only affect their reactions in the present, but in the future as well. Be careful! A cooperative witness can make or break a case!
Grading system: At the end of each case, you’ll receive a grade based on your investigative skills! The higher your score, the better your reputation becomes!
Bus travel system: Don’t feel like traversing the whole city? Head to the nearest bus stop and catch a ride to your desired destination!
• Fully-custom graphics and music to bring the story to life!​

Screenshots:

Credits:
Of course, this project wouldn’t be possible without the help from my wonderful team, and many of the generous contributors in this community:
Graphics:
Amysaurus
iblamevictoria
Nirwanda
NPC

Writing:
NPC
Clydous
Nirwanda

Music + Sound Design:
Clydous
JacobM
Saltwater Croc

Programming + Development:
DireDimes
TehGuy

Other:
Aenigma Fonts
Zacchary Dempsey-Plante​
Want to show your support? Here's a banner!:
Code:
[URL='https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/second-chance-in-development.81366/#post-755612'][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/H77gmx5.png[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

dbchest

Villager
Xy$
This is pretty wonderful. A very well-made presentation; you have my attention. Would you say this project is on the ambitious side or will you be keeping things simple?

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
This is pretty wonderful. A very well-made presentation; you have my attention. Would you say this project is on the ambitious side or will you be keeping things simple?
Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear that. (cheeky)

I'd say it was an ambitious route to take for our first project together, but my team and I are trying to keep things simple wherever possible. Once we settled on the major gameplay mechanics, we decided it'd be best to really focus on those and develop them further rather than continually adding on new gimmicks.

From a personal standpoint, absolutely! This is my first time leading a project rather than being a team member of one, and visually it's much different than anything I've worked on before.

dbchest

Villager
Xy$
It sounds like your team and you have your priorities straight, which is a pretty big first step.

I imagine leading a team presents its own difficulties; I have been working on my project solo for about two years now and I'm happy to say that the majority of the heavy lifting is done.

I have high standards I am dedicated to maintaining when working on my personal project so I like to think I have a keen eye when I review other folks works; It's really refreshing to see a project like second chance show up every now and then.

It is a positive feeling to see other projects with this level of potential floating around. I'll be keeping my eye on Second Chance, so don't keep me waiting too long for updates and eye candy!

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
Update time!

Here's a look at some headshots I've been putting together for the menu system:

I'm planning to use these for when the player looks through their list of suspects.
[doublepost=1510018277,1501364683][/doublepost]
I've been 1000% swamped with schoolwork + illness, but thankfully I've been able to work on a few menu mockups during class:

Here's a title screen I put together to work on idle/background animations:

And here's a save select menu I made to work on menu designs:

These most likely won't be the final versions, but I find it helpful to make a prototype before I commit to a design idea. All of the music is by the ever-awesome Clydous!

[doublepost=1517678738][/doublepost]

I'd just like to take a moment to remind all of you that every cactus is beautiful.
. . .

....And, more importantly, that we're back into the swing of things! Our goal is to get a demo of our first case out by March-April, so we can show off what we've been up to. (cheeky)

Here's a bit of what I've been working on recently:​