Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rules Template in recruiting?

FANGirl

Residential Vampire
I know some may likely roll their eyes at this, but is there a way staff can enforce some Rules (Templates maybe) for Recruiting for projects. Because, as someone searching some projects to help, it's difficult to find an interesting one when 9/10th of the threads are literally "Help me make my game, I need art, music, writing, etc etc etc." No formatting or details, no screenshots or some proof of dedication, and messaging every single individual to expound would be a tedious and tiring task.

So was suggesting to enforce a few rules/standards to Recruiting and Classified. Literally the only project I could be interested in at first glance are fangames in which I know the source inspiration. > .<;;

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
I am The Enforcer of Rules, not the Maker of Rules. Only Admin can make rules. I am inviting @Xyphien and @sage to this thread.
I know some may likely roll their eyes at this, but is there a way staff can enforce some Rules (Templates maybe) for Recruiting for projects. Because, as someone searching some projects to help, it's difficult to find an interesting one when 9/10th of the threads are literally "Help me make my game, I need art, music, writing, etc etc etc." No formatting or details, no screenshots or some proof of dedication, and messaging every single individual to expound would be a tedious and tiring task.

So was suggesting to enforce a few rules/standards to Recruiting and Classified. Literally the only project I could be interested in at first glance are fangames in which I know the source inspiration. > .<;;
If you'd like to suggest a template or layout that'd be nice and we could work off of that from there. I really like the idea, however for the next month I'm currently quite busy due to this mission they have me on. However, if you made a base template for the staff to look over, etc. it'd speed up the process and be something we can hopefully get up and running asap.

FANGirl

Residential Vampire
Sure! I think at least some form of these core rules should be followed.

Synopsis & Goals
A brief description of the game, and plans for this game's future. This should include game genre and type (ex. "horror survival game", "medieval action-RPG", etc.), target audience (if applicable), introducing the main feature of the game that will set it apart from others, a sentence or so about the plot, and intent of the developer (ex. "make a game in a year", "sell game for profit", "permanent team to make studio after this game's release", etc.). Short and sweet but descriptive.

Plot and Characters
Describe the plot in just a little more detail and introduce the cast. Images of the cast are optional, but appreciated. This does not have to reflect the detail of the actual project thread, but rather provide a quick at-a-glance information dump.

(if the game has a Project Thread, the owner can and should link that thread to the recruitment thread!)

Current Team
What team members are already working on this project? What are their names/usernames and positions within the team? Most importantly: What role does the project leader play on the project? This is often skipped over, and many talented individuals will not join a team in which the team makes the entire game for a single person. We like to know that project leaders are as dedicated to the project as they would like us to be!

Positions Available
Unless restricted for good purpose, this section should identify the positions and number of people per position needed, as well as a very informative chart of what the recruits are expected to do. Include: Main tasks those seeking to fill the part are expected to do, years of experience needed (if applicable), what programs or tools will be used (if applicable), deadline expectations (will the team be lax or rigid?), compensation (if applicable) and terms of use in the works that will be created for the game, and any extra detail the project owner wants to squeeze in.

Concept Art/Screenshots/Demos
!Screenshots should be mandatory! This is just to let those looking for a project know that the lead is serious about creating the game. Projects that are mere ideas should belong in another section OR have a prefix or something saying that the game hasn't passed an idea phase yet.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@FANGirl Looking at what Xyphien said:

However, if you made a base template for the staff to look over, etc. it'd speed up the process and be something we can hopefully get up and running asap.
I did not think that it was intended for all to see, but initially the staff. Since it went public first, I publicly vote NAY. Attention to details.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It was said for you to make a template for the STAFF to look over.

I am totally against having to have screenshots. Maybe the game is not developed enough to have one, or do you want them to put "placeholder" screenshots to pass the litmus test?

I am against having to list the characters in the cast. Some of these things writers like to keep secret. Next thing you know, the template is going to say there must be a face image presented for each character that is listed.

Most of the items listed can be taken care of in Private Messaging. Why tell ALL the details of a project. When going to a job interview, we are never told all aspects of the job. Recruiting is recruiting. Why make it more complicated than it is. It does not take another template to watch over. Just say no to "FUN sucking!"

FANGirl

Residential Vampire

I am totally against having to have screenshots. Maybe the game is not developed enough to have one, or do you want them to put "placeholder" screenshots to pass the litmus test?

I am against having to list the characters in the cast. Some of these things writers like to keep secret. Next thing you know, the template is going to say there must be a face image presented for each character that is listed.

Most of the items listed can be taken care of in Private Messaging. Why tell ALL the details of a project. When going to a job interview, we are never told all aspects of the job. Recruiting is recruiting. Why make it more complicated than it is. It does not take another template to watch over. Just say no to "FUN sucking!"
I did make it for staff to look over?

And if a project is established, the leader needs to have SOMETHING to show for it, no? I've been on too many projects (as have others) where the leader said "I want to make game, I need art okay?" and then I start and they're like "nevermind". Once a project developer has put his/her own hard work into a project, they're less likely to stiff anyone else. It's just fact. I also further noted that "not past idea phase" can be a thing, but that should be quickly evident to someone looking for teams. Some people don't mind having to work ground up. Others ONLY want to work on their one aspect of the game, and need some basis to go by.

I stated initially why these should not be done via private messages. It's IMPOSSIBLE to find a project to be interested in on these forums, because project leaders are not required to give any detail outside of "I want to make a game, help me" and after clicking on 30 threads and messaging 30 people for more details. That's just horrible for those who legitimately want to work. It's cumbersome, it's tedious. And it turns people off faster than lightning.

Game making is not like other jobs. Sorry, it's just not. It's not the same as walking into a business where you know you'll be cooking fast food. Most people don't care what kind of food is cooked at a restaurant. But people who make games MUST HAVE VESTED INTEREST IN SOMETHING BESIDES "yeah let's make a game". Most of the time it is the plot and characters, which is why that's crucial information, even if in just a sentence or two.

I never said tell all of the details of the project. Read my proposal carefully. I said enough information should be given that members can know at-a-glance what the game is, and what the goals for that game are. A brief synopsis of plot and characters remedies that, and the major details can be given if a recruit bites at the opportunity. I even stated that it can be much less than what would be given in the official project thread. Just give us SOMETHING to work with. I'm pretty sure anyone honestly looking for a team would agree........

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I only represent one fifth of the current staff, and the other four fifths might totally love your idea, as is. If it does become a rule, you can be assured that I will enforce it. :)

FANGirl

Residential Vampire
*fist pumps* Order among the chaos! For great justice! XD

The model provided actually benefits both parties. ^ u^ The lead will know that they are contacted not because the potential recruit just wants to help make A game, but that they want to help make THEIR game. That's a huge difference! Likewise the potential recruit can easily find a team that feels like it'll go somewhere, making a product they can be passionate about~

Rainbows, unicorns lol

Lore

Resident Dragon
Sure! I think at least some form of these core rules should be followed.

Synopsis & Goals
A brief description of the game, and plans for this game's future. This should include game genre and type (ex. "horror survival game", "medieval action-RPG", etc.), target audience (if applicable), introducing the main feature of the game that will set it apart from others, a sentence or so about the plot, and intent of the developer (ex. "make a game in a year", "sell game for profit", "permanent team to make studio after this game's release", etc.). Short and sweet but descriptive.

Plot and Characters
Describe the plot in just a little more detail and introduce the cast. Images of the cast are optional, but appreciated. This does not have to reflect the detail of the actual project thread, but rather provide a quick at-a-glance information dump.

(if the game has a Project Thread, the owner can and should link that thread to the recruitment thread!)

Current Team
What team members are already working on this project? What are their names/usernames and positions within the team? Most importantly: What role does the project leader play on the project? This is often skipped over, and many talented individuals will not join a team in which the team makes the entire game for a single person. We like to know that project leaders are as dedicated to the project as they would like us to be!

Positions Available
Unless restricted for good purpose, this section should identify the positions and number of people per position needed, as well as a very informative chart of what the recruits are expected to do. Include: Main tasks those seeking to fill the part are expected to do, years of experience needed (if applicable), what programs or tools will be used (if applicable), deadline expectations (will the team be lax or rigid?), compensation (if applicable) and terms of use in the works that will be created for the game, and any extra detail the project owner wants to squeeze in.

!Screenshots should be mandatory! This is just to let those looking for a project know that the lead is serious about creating the game. Projects that are mere ideas should belong in another section OR have a prefix or something saying that the game hasn't passed an idea phase yet.
I'd like to make a suggestion, if I may, regarding this.

I am of a similar opinion to @MinisterJay, but I do certainly appreciate the thought and effort that has gone into this list @FANGirl. If something like this were to be enforced as a rule for recruitment, or at least as a guide, I would probably make it something like this:

Synopsis & Goals
Certainly, recruitment would need to have at the very least, a general idea as to what the project will be about. This would likely also include things like the genre and target audience. I wouldn't, however, expect there to be a significant amount of detail here; I'd expect a "hook", or something else to grab potential team members' interest.

Plot and Characters
I would not include plot, at least, not in a public post. If people enquire and wish to assist, and the recruiter has a plot outline, then by all means, send it to those people. As a developer, you don't want to give your ideas away. Character names could be listed, however, even if they are not final.

Current Team
Again, I wouldn't include this as necessary. Optional maybe, but not a requirement. Realistically, if you look up a job advertisement in a newspaper, you won't know who you are working with specifically until you are offered the job. Similarly, a recruiter shouldn't feel the need to divulge this information publicly, unless the recruiter wishes to do so. Information like this can be given out later and/or via PM should you accept someone as a member of the team.

Positions Available
Definitely a must. No point in recruiting for a project if you don't let people know the types of team members you are looking for.

While these things are useful, they shouldn't be required. Perhaps concept documentation could be added, detailing some aspects of the game. These however can be given in PM if the recruiter so chooses.

I feel that as long as a recruitment post has the core elements such as a summary, positions and what the recruiter is looking for, that should be enough. While PMing people is annoying, its actually not all that uncommon. If PMing lots of people for different projects is annoying or daunting, perhaps shortlist the projects you are most interested in and wait for responses from those people first.

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_

Actually it'll be cool if normal members can have a look at it too since they're most likely the ones who want to recruit or join a project; screenshot doesn't need to be necessary, but I'd totally say yes to characters, plot, story, etc. YOU have to attract people into helping you and can't just say "I make a super cool game with lots of original graphics and stuff but i cant tell you anything about the plot or characters because itd be a spoiler". I'd say definitely no if I saw this.

Lore made a good template too and I agree. Though I think it would be interesting if you added something like what the person who's recruiting does/can do and will do, that's important too I think.
Also I don't think you all should make your recruitments exactly like the template and always can add some stuff or leave some out, as long as the concept is understandable, what's looked for, etc. This should be something like a choice up to the recruiter, I think. A template is just easier to follow, and if someone has a problem with writing a recruitment thread he or she can look up the template and use it. Right?

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also I don't think you all should make your recruitments exactly like the template and always can add some stuff or leave some out, as long as the concept is understandable, what's looked for, etc. This should be something like a choice up to the recruiter, I think.
I agree. It is the recruiter that should decide what is best for what is mentioned by the thread, not a list of rules and requirements, but suggestions. Maybe I am against templates so much because I had to use them as a teacher for over seven years,. Templates took away the art and science of being a teacher, and likewise recruiting. I was a top recruiter for a financial advising company, and never used a template nor script to recruit.

FANGirl

Residential Vampire
Actually it'll be cool if normal members can have a look at it too since they're most likely the ones who want to recruit or join a project; screenshot doesn't need to be necessary, but I'd totally say yes to characters, plot, story, etc. YOU have to attract people into helping you and can't just say "I make a super cool game with lots of original graphics and stuff but i cant tell you anything about the plot or characters because itd be a spoiler". I'd say definitely no if I saw this.

Lore made a good template too and I agree. Though I think it would be interesting if you added something like what the person who's recruiting does/can do and will do, that's important too I think.
Also I don't think you all should make your recruitments exactly like the template and always can add some stuff or leave some out, as long as the concept is understandable, what's looked for, etc. This should be something like a choice up to the recruiter, I think. A template is just easier to follow, and if someone has a problem with writing a recruitment thread he or she can look up the template and use it. Right?
Characters, plot, story = must. MUST. Even if just given a glance! I agree that instead of screenshots, a hecka detailed game design document would suffice. Any kind of actual WORK that shows that something is being done. I will not, EVER, join a game project in which nothing is said about what the lead is doing, or with hardcore examples of them being dedicated. I will never make a game for someone, unless maybe the plot/characters are something I'm really into. Or if it's a fangame of a series I'm super duper in love with. And that's what I feel like I'll be doing if the leader doesn't show some hard blood sweat and tears work on the project already. Sorry. I and know probably at least 80% of people feel that way (unless they're going to be compensated up front or something).

And just pointing out again. I think games not using template/not past idea phase, could have a prefix "Idea" or "Early" etc.

And from the amount of agrees and likes the template suggestions are getting, I'd say this is really want the members want......^^;; I mean it makes sense. Most people are going to say no to a project if everything is super secret and we have to pull teeth to get some information!

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
This message was from my staff PM it was originally intended for this topic.

I don't see any issues having guidelines, in the past, I've told members why people were not replying to their recruitment page, in all honesty, the recruitment page should look like a portfolio, you should try to sell the idea, especially if you plan on paying people. You see the results just by browsing through each topic, the ones with minimal info rarely ever get replies, the ones with more detailed information get more replies.
In the end, though, it would be nice for those seriously looking for a good project to join, had it easy to see the topics quicker in one area, rather than having to open up each post and see a bunch of topics with minimal information. Maybe we could open a sub-forum of sorts.

Either way, im happy with guidelines and or small rules to keep things organized.