Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Renamer Program for all those pesky Generator files.

David FoxFire

Adventurer
Xy$
For some people, updating and improving on the Character Generator means having to deal with the rats nest that is 'File Name Management'. I'm sure that some of you are throughly triggered into a quivering ball of PTSD by those three words.

It's the part where you have to rename the '_p##_' parts in the filename so that you can move the files in place and not have the generator to pear shaped on you. Personally I wished they had an DLC manager for the generator that does all this for you. But I've found the next best thing:

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php

2015-11-14 08_25_51-Action center.png

Bulk Rename Utility is a valuable tool to do all the renaming chores. You select the directory that has the files you want to import, and make sure you have the next available p## in the Generator directory. Select 'Subfolders' in the Selections(12) box, Do the replaceing in teh Repl.(3) box, Select all in the above file list window and hit 'Rename' on the lower right. The files are renamed into the right number, waiting for you to copy them into your directory.

Granted, there are other Renaming Tools out there, and I just showed you one, but for someone who's playing with a lot of generator add-ons, It's a lifesaver.

I'm sure that this isn't the only renamer program out there. Anyone else has a favorite?

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I can see where this can be an extremely useful tool, I don't use re-namers much but I remember the last one I used was named "Massive File Renamer" did not look as fancy as bulk renamer. Thank you for sharing.