Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recomendations for Improving HUDs and menus for my future project.

GYIYGABITE

Villager
Xy$
EDIT: Added spoiler buttons.

So for awhile, I've been dabbling with the RPG Maker MV engine to see what to implement in my project. I have an idea what to implement, so here are some images:

The regular menu, using YANFLY's Menu, Skill, and Party Formation

Using GALV's message style text box, similar to Golden Sun. The default text box is good, but I want to make it more attractive. Also, is there a way I can reduce the portrait size when a character talks? I know I can do that with the fonts.
The main battle, using YANFLY's BattleSysATB - The battle system will be ATB. In the future, I'm going to use YANFLY's Action Sequence Pack to, especially part 3 to give camera effect. Challenging? Yes. Rewarding? Absolutely!
YANFLY's ItemCore script. Way better then the default RPG Maker MV's version.

As you can see, I'll be using most of YANFLY's scripts. So I have a LOOONG way to make my project. I'm always open to constructive criticism to improve my project, so my main focuses for now is this:

What displays, that are compatible with YANFLY's engines, can you recommend me to make it more attractive for the players?

Also, I want to make the battle HUD more attractive then it is already. However, I have absolutely NO knowledge when it comes to graphic designing or scripting.

There are some cool HUDs out there, like these:

Those are possible HUDs that I am interested. The idea is that the battle will be that up to five players can join. However, I am flexible and can make it four instead. Any feedback, or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Wish me luck, and I wish you all the best as well.

Last edited:

Dad3353

Praised Adventurer
@GYIYGABITE ...

Not a reply to your questions, but rather a suggestion for future posts. Could you please consider using 'spoiler' tags around your screen shots..? You will find that, if a topic is very long to scroll through, folks will be less inclined to read it, and a great deal of the length comes from the numerous graphics. Enclosing these between tags 'folds up' the topic; interested parties can open the hidden graphics, then close them and continue reading. Try it, perhaps..?
'Spoiler' tags are made by opening a square bracket '['...), then the word 'spoiler' (without the inverted commas, of course...), then closing the square brackets (']'...). The graphics are then inserted, and the spoiler ending is indicated by '[', followed by '/spoiler' (note the 'backslash' before the word 'spoiler'..!), and finally another closing ']' (all without the inverted commas...). The result looks like this ...
Just sayin'; hope this helps.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
Eh! That is much better, it really does help the reader, well, read lol It also saves time on loading, less images that need to be loaded when entering the topic, makes a dramatic difference. Anyways, improving the HUD/Windows & scenes is a big job especially if you don't want the default layout, it requires all new images and lots of coding, I'd say the coding takes the longest and the graphic design is much quicker.

If you really want a different look then I'd recommend waiting for the 'Luna Engine MV' plugin, which will be a series of plugins and an external editor allowing you to change the menu how you want to, literally, the restrictions will be lifted entirely and it will be up to the developer for the layout and deign using a simple tool to change things around. I don't know when the release date will be but they've been working on it since MV started development.

As for me, I'm currently using these plugins from the Victor Engine:
Battle Command Window
Battle Status Window

https://victorenginescripts.wordpress.com/rpg-maker-mv/battle-status-window/
These greatly facilitate any change you would like to make to your battle HUD. As it does not come with any premade settings nor graphical assets, it is also a great way to make your battle scene stand out from others and actually look original.

However if you lack the graphical abilities, you can still rearrange the windows and still use the default window skin.

Here's an example I made using the Battle Status Window plugin:

GYIYGABITE

Villager
Xy$
Eh! That is much better, it really does help the reader, well, read lol It also saves time on loading, less images that need to be loaded when entering the topic, makes a dramatic difference. Anyways, improving the HUD/Windows & scenes is a big job especially if you don't want the default layout, it requires all new images and lots of coding, I'd say the coding takes the longest and the graphic design is much quicker.

If you really want a different look then I'd recommend waiting for the 'Luna Engine MV' plugin, which will be a series of plugins and an external editor allowing you to change the menu how you want to, literally, the restrictions will be lifted entirely and it will be up to the developer for the layout and deign using a simple tool to change things around. I don't know when the release date will be but they've been working on it since MV started development.
The Luna Engine MV, eh? Well, now that is something to look forward to. I was expecting that making a menu from scratch is no walk in the park. Then I can wait until the plugin is completed. In the mean time, I'll keep dabbling and initiate my project.

Isaac The Red

Towns Guard

Now this I am interested in, I've seen what Luna Engine can do in VXA, so having that for MV as well would be amazing, especially with the massive additional features that Yanfly's Engine already provides. @_@

GYIYGABITE

Villager
Xy$
As for me, I'm currently using these plugins from the Victor Engine:
Battle Command Window
Battle Status Window

These greatly facilitate any change you would like to make to your battle HUD. As it does not come with any premade settings nor graphical assets, it is also a great way to make your battle scene stand out from others and actually look original.

However if you lack the graphical abilities, you can still rearrange the windows and still use the default window skin.

Here's an example I made using the Battle Status Window plugin:
The Victor Engine's Battle Command and Status Window looks pretty cool. There doesn't seem to be a guide at the website on how to use it. Is there a link with tutorial or videos that can give me an idea what to manipulate the script?