Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plugin Request: Move Character to (x,y) or Event (x)

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am looking for something similar to Galv's Move Route Extras plugin. With it I can jump to map (x,y) or event(x), but cannot simply walk to it. It would be similar to VX Ace's waypoint system. This plugin would greatly reduce the number of movement input for a character going from one event to another. For example: On the current project if I want character to go from event (1) at (2,3) to event (8) at (3,37) that would take 34 move downs and 1 move right. I do not want to do a transport player. I desire to see the character walk/fly, without passing through non-passable terrain .

Thanks,
Jay

eivl

Local Hero
Xy$
That is very possible, i have been working with another developer making a minimap based on passable terrain, it should be possible to use the same technique to find a walkable path to point x,y.... I will think abit on this, remind me during the next weekend

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@eivl awesome. I would like to see your version. I found one by Shaz called Smart Pathfinding that functions. It does not ignore events along the way, and that causes challenges.

Last edited:

eivl

Local Hero
Xy$
Have not seen that myself, but i would just use Dijkstra's algorithm to find the shortest path and use that as the route. It would be a wighted graph with the direction flags as basis.

It might be other more effective solutions but this would in all cases find the shortest path.

I think Shaz is one of the developers of MV so i will look on his solution and see what it does.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Have not seen that myself, but i would just use Dijkstra's algorithm to find the shortest path and use that as the route. It would be a wighted graph with the direction flags as basis.

It might be other more effective solutions but this would in all cases find the shortest path.

I think Shaz is one of the developers of MV so i will look on his solution and see what it does.
It goes to desired location, but if it encounters another event en route, it will activate the first event touched, and still complete the route.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sure this a newb question. can you not do this with an event? is the plugin just needed to make it easier or faster?
It was possible with VX Ace, just waiting for a MV version. It did not get released yet, so I did the long monotonous move right, move right, move right, etc. There were 28 'events', each needing four possibilities, and then resulting in movement of one to four 'events' away. Some plugins could JUMP to x,y but not wayfarer to x,y.