Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Platform Battle System?

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
Hello everyone!
I made some research about this and I didn't find anything substancial on the subject, so I decided to question around here if there is a Platform Battle System for RMMV, just like Castlevania SotN for sample.

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
LMBS is indeed very interesting, although it don't seem to allow combat outside a battle arena, or something like that. But I'll dig on it to see what secrets it hold : ). QABS I'm aware but I'm quite confused, seemed to me that he is not working anymore with the Action Battle System.
Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: LMBS only supports battle inside a battle arena just as I thought, it don't allow anything outside the battle. QABS is the most close thing to what I would want, but not quite too, its good for a 4 direction action game, not a platform one. Also enemies AI is very simple.

Last edited:

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
LMBS is indeed very interesting, although it don't seem to allow combat outside a battle arena, or something like that. But I'll dig on it to see what secrets it hold : ). QABS I'm aware but I'm quite confused, seemed to me that he is not working anymore with the Action Battle System.
Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: LMBS only supports battle inside a battle arena just as I thought, it don't allow anything outside the battle. QABS is the most close thing to what I would want, but not quite too, its good for a 4 direction action game, not a platform one. Also enemies AI is very simple.
I've created a few platform style games with QABS... it's not really that hard to set up, using q-sprites... perhaps I can make a demo for you at some point...

or ...there might even be something found here could help?
http://hikimoki.sakura.ne.jp/index.html#plugin
Maybe like the Jump Action Plugin

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
Thanks but me and my friends here decided to move on to Unity. Although we don't know anything in C# we already have made a funcional platform game sample using castlevania specific tutorials and went quite well. But I'll keep using and making 48x pixel sized materials as a standard size so it can be used in RPG Maker MV as well, and so I can keep posting tiles here.

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
Thanks but me and my friends here decided to move on to Unity. Although we don't know anything in C# we already have made a funcional platform game sample using castlevania specific tutorials and went quite well. But I'll keep using and making 48x pixel sized materials as a standard size so it can be used in RPG Maker MV as well, and so I can keep posting tiles here.
Oh ok, good luck with your project! I'd be interested to see how unity works myself actually.
Never really tried it, but I know it's said to be a very powerful engine. (cute)(thumbsup)

nijineko

Villager
Xy$
Wouldn't IGmaker be better for platformers anyway?

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
Wouldn't IGmaker be better for platformers anyway?
Te be honest...
"better" is a relative term... it also really depends on what system the game is intended for.

With unity I believe exporting to multiple platforms might be more versatile also since the main coding will be C#.

Typically though, yes IGMaker is more geared towards Platform Style Games. (cool)(thumbsup)
(gosh that sounds snide, I really didn't mean it to come across that way. (perplexed))

Last edited:

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
Te be honest...
"better" is a relative term... it also really depends on what system the game is intended for.

With unity I believe exporting to multiple platforms might be more versatile also since the main coding will be C#.

Typically though, yes IGMaker is more geared towards Platform Style Games. (cool)(thumbsup)
(gosh that sounds snide, I really didn't mean it to come across that way. (perplexed))
The problem with Unity (and one we have encountered) is that even the most simple basic thing, as just a simple menu event or an item with its own definitions must be coded. In Unity nothing is ready for you take and start making something. It's not like RMMV where even with a basic understanding of how plugins work you handle yourself. Unity require a lot of understanding of its own functions together with C# coding.
We found ourselves here killing our minds just to make the basic UI stuff and menus. Even items that can stack amounts of its own value. It's not easy for people that never worked with it or trying to learn C# along the way.

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
The problem with Unity (and one we have encountered) is that even the most simple basic thing, as just a simple menu event or an item with its own definitions must be coded. In Unity nothing is ready for you take and start making something. It's not like RMMV where even with a basic understanding of how plugins work you handle yourself. Unity require a lot of understanding of its own functions together with C# coding.
We found ourselves here killing our minds just to make the basic UI stuff and menus. Even items that can stack amounts of its own value. It's not easy for people that never worked with it or trying to learn C# along the way.
Yeah that's has been the beautiful design of RPG Maker MV. It does quite a lot for us, comes with a nice core & useful objects, yet it still also allows us to break normal limitations.
Also Javascript was for some reason much easier for me to learn... I did learn C++ & Java first though...

Have you checked into either of these?

Those might help start the basics.

...offer still stands if you'd like me to make a demo of how a platform game is made with QABS. (cool)

Last edited:

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
Yeah that's has been the beautiful design of RPG Maker MV. It does quite a lot for us, comes with a nice core & useful objects, yet it still also allows us to break normal limitations.
Also Javascript was for some reason much easier for me to learn... I did learn C++ & Java first though...

Have you checked into either of these?

Those might help start the basics.

...offer still stands if you'd like me to make a demo of how a platform game is made with QABS. (cool)
Well the good side however it is a lot flexible. It has no limitations to what you can create, and making battle system in it like the one I was after is not that difficult, at least basic stuff. As you want more and more complexity to the game, it gets tougher and its very easy to lose track of functions. Its not easy for a small team of students to make something out of it right way, it will take us at least a year of hardship to get along.

For a pixel artist like me it's like heaven. It has no restriction to size, grids or anything. You define the size you want for anything. I have choose to keep making 48 pixel sized materials because I'm planning on to making assets to sell to both RMMV and Unity in the future.