Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planting Saplings Eventing/Menu?

Lark Monster

Towns Guard
Xy$
I want to work on some farming stuff, and things like fishing, cooking, woodcutting. I am slowly experimenting but getting a bit confused on this one part.

I want to be able to chop down a tree, and when the tree is chopped down you get some logs and a sapling specific to that tree (like oak, pine, whatever). The spot where the tree stood will turn into a plot of soil, where the player can then replant a tree or other crops. So how do I make a menu (or how do I event it) for the player to interact with the soil, and then pick what seed or sapling they want to plant there?

My RPG Maker MV wasn't working on my laptop for over a year until this week...so I feel like beginner all over again and super lost. Any tips or help are greatly appreciated.

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
I want to work on some farming stuff, and things like fishing, cooking, woodcutting. I am slowly experimenting but getting a bit confused on this one part.

I want to be able to chop down a tree, and when the tree is chopped down you get some logs and a sapling specific to that tree (like oak, pine, whatever). The spot where the tree stood will turn into a plot of soil, where the player can then replant a tree or other crops. So how do I make a menu (or how do I event it) for the player to interact with the soil, and then pick what seed or sapling they want to plant there?

My RPG Maker MV wasn't working on my laptop for over a year until this week...so I feel like beginner all over again and super lost. Any tips or help are greatly appreciated.
Sounds like it will be a fun game to play. (cute)

Update:
Phew that was actually pretty tough to do without plugins. But I did it! Yay!(cool)

I have made a demo for you. It is a simplified version with no digging, watering, etc.

Seems limited only to 3 types of crops per soil patch though due to only having self switches A-D to use. (see demo for what I mean).

In the demo I made for you the player plants a seed, waits, then harvest.
The harvested amount is random, and also has a chance to drop a seed.

Farming Demo by CT_Bolt: Click Here to Download

Start by creating an event to do the following (See Event 01 [Plant Controller]):
  • Page 1
    • Sets how long each plant will take to grow
    • Turn on a switch that activates a parallel process common event.
  • Page 2 (Condition: Switch that is turned on in page 1)
    • Blank
  • The common event that was activated in that event will control all plant "growth". (See Common Event 08 [Plant Timers])
    • Every 60 frames it will add 1 to each plant timer variable.
The rest is really really hard to explain, please see demo and I'll do my best to answer questions about how it works. (cute)

There is also this youtube video... though it's a bit complex and could definitely be simplified into a farming plugin instead of common events.

Please let me know if that helps at all. (cool)

Last edited:

Lark Monster

Towns Guard
Xy$
Thank you! I saw this right after you replied but was just leaving on a little trip, so sorry for the late reply. I tried out the demo and watched the video as well, I think from this I will be able to make a lot more sense of it all (or at least figure out how to tweak things to get something similar to what I want)!