Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on background

Kimika

Villager
Xy$
So, to be honest, I usually think of the plot as I write the script for the game. So I figured I'd just get some feedback on the general world background right now. It's a little dumb considering I thought it up at around 4 am but I don't have any other ideas so I might as well give it a chance lmao

It's a fantasy world, and the general idea is that certain people carry a gene that, if they go through some emotional/physical trauma, will trigger and give them supernatural powers. So basically the majority of the main characters would be mentally or physically hurt (lost an arm, severe paranoia, stuff like that.) Anyway, I was wondering what people thought of this idea so any feedback is appreciated. I might add more later for feedback on characters and stuff if I decide to go with it.

I actually like this idea and it has a lot of potential. In fact, studies have shown that this is viable. The mind, body and soul are interconnected, so one is affected by another. Each condition has different, often multiple, effects.

Lore

Resident Dragon
It is a very interesting concept. One of the questions I have though is what type of powers would these people receive? Would the powers/abilities be fixed (that is, regardless of the injury/condition, they would only be able a predetermined ability) or would the ability adapt to help them compensate for their condition? For example, if someone lost an arm, would their power adapt to become telekinesis? Or, if someone had paranoia, would their ability be a calming aura that helps to calm others who are scared/have paranoia themselves.

Outside of these questions, as @Companion Wulf said, this idea has a lot of potential! Can't wait to see where and how this goes. :D

iblamevictoria

Towns Guard
Anyway, I was wondering what people thought of this idea so any feedback is appreciated. I might add more later for feedback on characters and stuff if I decide to go with it.
Sounds like it has a lot of potential. I could definitely see you taking that concept and going really wild with it. I wonder if it would be cool if some people, who suffered the worst trauma, could become horrible supernatural monsters because they couldn't cope with it like the main characters and their sort of people have. Could be an interesting antagonistic sort of theme or plot point. I dunno.

Really cool idea. Hope it gets turned into a full game. I'll definitely follow along on any progress.

Kimika

Villager
Xy$
Thanks for all the feedback! I've been thinking of plots but that's definitely what I'm worst at so its been a little difficult. I was thinking a little more about how these powers would work, but for now I'm just gonna try to think of a plot since that's what I'm really bad at lmao. If anyone's got any suggestions, I'm open to it.
I know I want to have a couple different countries, and thought of adding religion by having the gods of the countries different religions give these people power instead of genes. Haven't really decided whether that's too much yet. As for plot, maybe some countries could be torturing their people specifically to find these people and make them into soldiers, or they could be at war and have the protagonist try to track down others like them to become soldiers or something? My ideas are all over the place right now tbh, so hopefully the next time I post about it I'll have a more solid plot and stuff ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I also like the idea of making the most hurt people be the most powerful, and the one of powers connecting to their injuries, so I'll try to incorporate those too :D

Chaude

Villager
Xy$
It depends on your World Building Elements and types of Genres (Adventure, Conspiracy, etc.) within a fantasy world for the kinds and levels of Magi-tech-like if going the gene-route, or types and degrees of pure magic if going the religion-route. Unless you would like to have each of the two countries specialize in one or the other, and how both scenarios influence characters raised in each country? For example, how the social-political-technological-cultural (even geographical) attitudes and methods of one country affect the variety, growth, and occurrence rates of the paranormal powers be similar and different from the other country. If you like this idea, I would further suggest for you to consider on whether or not in having factions within the religious side of each deity wishing to rule for various reasons, and how that affects the balance with the other country.

Keep up the nice pace!

Xilefian

Adventurer
Xy$
This is a rather cliché scenario, nothing wrong with that.

It's usually better to come up with small scenarios and events and link them together by justifying the circumstances using the world design - when writing stories for games.

By starting with the world and not the player's story you risk writing yourself into a corner where you have a great story that doesn't work as a game or you have pages of dialogue that the player has to mash their way through (a common mistake in RPG Maker games).

Kimika

Villager
Xy$
This is a rather cliché scenario, nothing wrong with that.

It's usually better to come up with small scenarios and events and link them together by justifying the circumstances using the world design - when writing stories for games.

By starting with the world and not the player's story you risk writing yourself into a corner where you have a great story that doesn't work as a game or you have pages of dialogue that the player has to mash their way through (a common mistake in RPG Maker games).
True, I think I'm gonna focus on the story now instead of the world. Thanks for the advice (cheeky)

I like to help by giving references to see it will effect your story writing or this story as whole
how about for the trendy "Tokyo Ghoul" or "Tokyo Ghoul: RE" for the part of the story that how these genes effect there Life
and I Recommend " Iron Blooded Orphans" and the New and Quite likely the successor of "One Piece" Is a Manga Series Called
"Red Sprite" for the Forced to be Soldiers kind-of plot
[doublepost=1485854932,1485854539][/doublepost]
for that it does became a huge risk and a Common, so I thought of giving ideas to add illustrations that Support the Story and it don't have to be Great, it's just need to "pop" there eyes with some kind of history or Well Played on to the Gameplay where the players could know how the Story Goes. and keep the Specifics Generalized