Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Open Dyslexic

Open Dyslexic 2016-06-02

No permission to download

Tennetry

Villager
Xy$
Jodis submitted a new resource:

Open Dyslexic - Font Dyslexic

Read more about this resource...
Might I inquire as to what makes this font easier for Dyslexics to read? I my self am severely Dyslexic I have work around, all written work is done via PC, i have spell checkers and at least two people read all my work afterwards.) As far as I can tell the font appears scewed as if giving the impressions it is large and the viewer is very small. But I'm not sure I understand your reasoning as to it being more Dyslexic friendly.

-T

Tennetry

Villager
Xy$
This link will explane. http://opendyslexic.org/about-2/ For me to explane would be more than I can type here in this window. There are other fonts that are for dyslexics but this one is open source. It is free to use.
I see, thank you, now iv actually seen a large block of said text in that font, it does help. The letters don't jump around the page as much as normal. What a fantastic idea, and a special well done to you for including in your games. gaming is one of the few genres that being Dyslexic rarely interferes with. Eliminating the few rare problems in gaming is a fantastic idea.

Jodis

Adventurer
Xy$
I see, thank you, now iv actually seen a large block of said text in that font, it does help. The letters don't jump around the page as much as normal. What a fantastic idea, and a special well done to you for including in your games. gaming is one of the few genres that being Dyslexic rarely interferes with. Eliminating the few rare problems in gaming is a fantastic idea.
You are very welcome. Anoter thing that helps me is replaceing the faces with a sprite.

Tennetry

Villager
Xy$
yep thats the one.
That's an interesting idea, do you not however feel that its harder to express a characters emotion during dialogue sequences, particularly in more serious games were the use of emote bubbles would detract from the intended mood of the game?, for example, Final Fantasy 7 (arguably one of the best games ever made as far as story/plot goes) was a serious game, there was a very real scene that if you screwed up people were going to die. the impact of some of the conversations tone was a little bit compromised sometimes by the unfortunate restrictions of the sprites. They also did not implement any graphic at all to indicate the speaker.

Jodis

Adventurer
Xy$
When i had cut seens that had people running all over the place and face graphic that only half matched then the face would swich to another person. It was hard to tell who was who. after playing the game 3x then i didnt have a problam telling who was who. like when you have to reed a movie and it text go's so fast and you end turning the tv off. Its like that for me.

Last edited:

Tennetry

Villager
Xy$
When i had cut seens that had people running all over the place and face graphic that only half matched then the face would swich to another person. It was hard to tell who was who. after playing the game 3x then i didnt have a problam telling who was who. like when you have to reed a movie and it text go's so fast and you end turning the tv off. Its like that for me.
Ah, yes i see. the dreaded sub-title syndrome. "I hope you like watching the bottom two inches of the screen cause that's all you'll be looking at."

-T