Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odyssey - Action Adventure RPG

SYNOPSIS

• Odyssey is an action adventure RPG, inspired by the Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, and Breathe of the Wild.
  • Run, jump, climb, swim and slash your way through an open-world.
  • Discover challenging dungeons that you can complete in any order.
  • Overworld gameplay is focused on exploration, platforming, and environmental puzzles.
  • Dungeon gameplay is focused on combat and traditional puzzle solving.
  • Become more powerful by discovering optional upgrades hidden throughout the overworld.

SCREENSHOTS

Please note that Odyssey is currently in Alpha, and the following material is still very early in production.
Some graphics and sound effects are placeholders, and are subject to change.

VIDEOS

Please note that Odyssey is currently in Alpha, and the following material is still very early in production.
Some graphics and sound effects are placeholders, and are subject to change.

CORE GAMEPLAY CONCEPTS

• The player is free to go in any direction from the start. If a certain dungeon proves to be too challenging, you're free to explore other areas and come back when you're stronger.
  • Certain optional secrets will only be obtainable when you backtrack to previously explored areas with new items.
  • The Town Center acts a central HUB where you can upgrade gear at the blacksmith, brew potions and cook meals.
  • No traditional leveling system. Instead, discover health and weapon upgrades by exploring and finding materials; including blueprints for weapon upgrades, and recipes for cooking and alchemy.

PROJECT SUMMARY

• The project is currently in Alpha right now, which means this is still very early work that is being previewed for the sake of collecting feedback. I will be posting regular updates with new screenshots and videos showing off my current progress.
  • Your feedback is valuable, and I'm open to critiques and suggestions. With that being said, keep in mind that everything I'm showing is still early in development, and is subject to change.
  • I'll be using this forum as a development blog of sorts. This a two way street, I'll be listening to feedback, and sharing what I've completed to help keep myself motivated.

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
SYNOPSIS
  • Odyssey is an action adventure RPG, inspired by the Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, and Breathe of the Wild.
  • Run, jump, climb, swim and slash your way through an open-world.
  • Discover challenging dungeons that you can complete in any order.
  • Overworld gameplay is focused on exploration, platforming, and environmental puzzles.
  • Dungeon gameplay is focused on combat and traditional puzzle solving.
  • Become more powerful by discovering optional upgrades hidden throughout the overworld.
Very nice looking game so far. Love the idea! That was one of my favorite games of all time.

I like all the zeldas but Links Awakening, Link to The Past, & oracle of ages/seasons are definitely my favorites.

Have you played oracle of seasons, or oracle of ages (Gameboy Color)? ...they're so cool how they worked with each other using unique passwords to use your character in both games. If you haven't checked them out, I think you'd like them also.

Anyways, thanks for posting your project here, I will gladly play it. (cute)(thumbsup)

Very nice looking game so far. Love the idea! That was one of my favorite games of all time.

I like all the zeldas but Links Awakening, Link to The Past, & oracle of ages/seasons are definitely my favorites.

Have you played oracle of seasons, or oracle of ages (Gameboy Color)? ...they're so cool how they worked with each other using unique passwords to use your character in both games. If you haven't checked them out, I think you'd like them also.

Anyways, thanks for posting your project here, I will gladly play it. (cute)(thumbsup)
Thank you for the comments! I loved the Gameboy Zelda titles; I played Oracle of Ages, but never had an opportunity to play Oracle of Seasons. Odyssey will borrow elements from most of the games in the Zelda series. Gameplay feels similar to Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, but also borrow elements from newer titles like Breathe of the Wild.

One thing I really liked about Breathe of the Wild is the ability to go anywhere and do anything, in any order you please. That was originally what inspired me to add climbing and swimming; to open up the world to the player and let them explore areas that may have been inaccessible in other games. I want to give players the freedom to find their own path and create their own adventure. I do plan on keeping the scope of this project smaller so I can release this by next year, but I will posting updates periodically, and eventually release a playable demo.

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
Thank you for the comments!
No prob. Glad you posted. (cool)(thumbsup)
I loved the Gameboy Zelda titles; I played Oracle of Ages, but never had an opportunity to play Oracle of Seasons. Odyssey will borrow elements from most of the games in the Zelda series. Gameplay feels similar to Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, but also borrow elements from newer titles like Breathe of the Wild.

One thing I really liked about Breathe of the Wild is the ability to go anywhere and do anything, in any order you please. That was originally what inspired me to add climbing and swimming; to open up the world to the player and let them explore areas that may have been inaccessible in other games. I want to give players the freedom to find their own path and create their own adventure. I do plan on keeping the scope of this project smaller so I can release this by next year, but I will posting updates periodically, and eventually release a playable demo.
Yes! I've always loved the choose your own path style games.
This inspires me to possibly attempt to create my own open world game.
Very eager to see the results. (hella)(thumbsup)

TheDesignor

Villager
Xy$
Hey wow this looks really good, you did all of this in MV? It doesn't even look like MV to me.
A) How do you set up the zelda-like attacks purely events or with a plugin?
B) Do you need playtesters and level designers? I would love to help on this by making some levels with puzzles. I'm trying to flex my level-design-with-puzzles muscle skill for future projects. Please hit me up!