Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New here...

Gregorius

Villager
Xy$
Hello everyone!

I am wondering about a story idea that I've been working around in my head, if it will be workable (Note: I haven't done anything in RM yet. I'm just working through story details atm...) So here goes...

The prologue begins with a choice of three characters/plots, each of which will have some quests / immersion into the story world itself. The Priest must investigate issues re: a village under the care of his monastery; the foreigner is teleported from his world (modern) to the world of the game, and must navigate his way around; and the princess must escape the city with one of her guards because of a plot on her life.

At the end of each "prologue" story arc, the protagonists and their companions are thrown into prison. Chapter 1 begins with the escape attempt, which involves everyone. Included in this would be some racial tension, as certain supporting PCs dislike each other because of their ethnicity/species. In addition to the rest of the game solving the issues behind each of those plots (and something more sinister, which I am still working on), I was thinking that part of the game would also involve the re-building of a "home-base" / fortress (including developing a small militia), which would help in that final quest.

The parts I am wondering about are these:

1. When they escape, would it be more interesting that they fight their way out and make the prison into their new "home-base", or should there be some kind of "hidden teleporter" that allows them to get away to another location, which may be dangerous in itself and needs to be cleared / repurposed against worse evils?

2. Regarding plot, I was thinking to either a) allow the player to play all three prologues, then choose the "primary character" afterwards (based on their preference, which would mean that the quests later in the game and the main direction would follow the character later chosen), b) jump from character to character (which helps for macro-plot, but not so much for character development), or c) only play one story at a time, but with bonuses for clearing each story (like giving important bonuses for the final point, kind of like certain visual novel games). Which do you think would be better from the player's perspective?

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
Stealing the prison and forming into a home base sounds intriguing.

Personally I enjoy character development first, then plot. Separate stories makes a game feel divided, but I don't mind if it's streamlined (don't have to start a new game to get the missing parts).

Gregorius

Villager
Xy$
Stealing the prison and forming into a home base sounds intriguing.

Personally I enjoy character development first, then plot. Separate stories makes a game feel divided, but I don't mind if it's streamlined (don't have to start a new game to get the missing parts).
Hi Macro,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree - it would be more intriguing (and probably less hassle) to just turn the prison into the future home-base area. I think I will go with your suggestion on that one. (thumbsup)

As for the separate stories... I admit that I am still trying to figure out how it will work. I might just settle on one of the stories as the master story, and then relegate the others to "support" or "backstory" (which could still be played through when being told as a "flashback" perhaps...)

Well turning the prison into a base is great but remeber dont try to make this prison "just like another prison" it would make it boring.... Right?!

Plan on adding overgrowned forests or a garden in the prison or "the floor is lava" kind of or make the player lost they way through each places, that will make one damn heck of a prison.

Gregorius

Villager
Xy$
It is true that it won't be "just another prison", though I think with the concept I am going for, the prison won't be the primary focus of what's going on... more of a place to return to and to build onto. But it would be cool if the prison was built on top of another ancient fortress that has some hidden doors leading down into the "original areas" (which would be optional, or dependent on which story-line is played).

Thanks for the thought.