Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neritania: Tale of the Wylkar (recruitment)

Lukhurd

Villager
Xy$
Hello everyone, I'm currently working on a game and I need a title screen, a menu background image, a game over screen, and custom enemies but digital art is not my thing. Any artists who would like to provide me with such images?
I'll tell you what I have in mind though if you want to help me with enemy designs you can do so!
I'll need about 22 enemies and 6 bosses in the final product but I'll only need 4 enemies and 2 bosses for my demo.
I'll also need sprites for the basic enemies as I won't be using random encounters.
Take all the time you want, I'd like to release my demo by January but a delay is acceptable (same goes for the full project) if any of the artists and sprite makers need a bit of rest, are too busy, or want to concentrate on (an) other game(s). I mean, all reasons to quit making images/sprites for me are accepted, but you get the point.

Maybe you need a summary of the start of the game so you can decide whether or not you're interested in my project.
The game takes place in a modern setting but there will be a lot of more natural places.
When you start the game, you're standing in front of a mansion. There's no real narrative, but you can read Tantei's (the main character) status and interact with the different objects in the garden to learn about his backstory. It's pretty simple but as the game progresses you learn more about why this happened (I won't spoil a lot of the game's story): Tantei used to live in a big mansion lost in the woods, more precisely in the Farosia region (located in the land of Neritania where most of the game's events take place), until four men killed his extended family (parents, butler, maids). They were after a mirror which Tantei took after killing the assassins.
You walk through the forest, and eventually get to Farosia (the town). There, you meet Tarkh, a fighter as well as a gentleman (well in terms of speech he's not Shakespeare but he still cares about his wording) who started to investigate on the assassins after seeing them enter an underground passage (which leads to Farosia) in Nerisilia, his home town. You learn that the assassins killed an inhabitant of Farosia, so you investigate the house where the murder took place and find underground galleries (the first dungeon).
After a few simple puzzles, you face Willard, a botanist who's part of the assassin's organization and won't say anything about their leader other than "He is our savior". Willard summons a creature which he fuses with (a là FFVIII) and you fight him, defeat him and take the artifact that he used to summon the creature. A spirit appears, possesses Willard's body and tells you about the Wylkar, eternal spirits who built the universe together. The spirit's name is Suruzhal, the being of emotions.
Basically if you gather all of the Wylkar artifacts you can create and destroy worlds, change worlds and create life. The dungeons that you will explore are trials that test your worth and your will no matter your intentions. The main antagonist (he didn't say his name for obvious reasons) wanted to keep the artifacts where nobody could steal them but had to keep them in the dungeons and recruit guardians. As you would have guessed, Tantei's mirror is one of those artifacts.
Tantei wants to avenge all the people who were killed in order to get the artifacts while Tarkh wants to investigate on the antagonist and punish him for what he considers to be evil deeds (pretty much the same thing but there's a nuance).
As you go further into the forest, you get a view of Nerisilia. Tarkh explains that the power plants caused too much pollution and in case there would be acid rains, the inhabitants sheltered the city. Though it was too late for part of the city which as a result wasn't sheltered, instead planks of the same material that was used for the shelter were placed on the buildings but doors couldn't be made in time. The unfortunate inhabitants moved to the shelter instead and a new building was built to house them. Another city was made underground and that is where Tarkh lives.
The two men go to Underground Nerisilia's pub in order to plan their journey and drink a little.
(EDIT: At first it was supposed to go like this: they sit on front of the bar counter, an angry girl enters the bar and tells her story (explained later in this post) to the bar tender, Tarkh, because he wants his brother to join the party for his knowledge, asks the girl where is the brother, she tells him she saw him running north east (towards the underground passage), Tarkh brings Tesh back, they talk, and while they're leaving, the girl says she wants to join the party. But I decided I'd go for something else.)
As you start to climb down the ladder, you realize that you're stepping on someone's head, so you climb back up. A man shows up and says "Oh, hey Tarkh!" then he shows off his knowledge of trees and other green life forms. Tarkh remains silent for a moment so the guy says "What" before he gets interrupted by Tarkh, who screams about how Farosia is dangerous and Tesh (the guy) shouldn't go there. Tesh gives up and says "Ok, I'm going back to Nerisilia." So Tarkh introduces Tantei to Tesh and tells Tantei that Tesh is his younger brother, then they go to Nerisilia. Tarkh runs into a girl. He says "All my excu-" before being interrupted by the girl who shouts "Shut up and watch out!" then runs away. The three men go to the bar and sit on front of the bar counter (because Tarkh likes to sit there) and find the girl, on front of the bar counter too, who explains to the bar tender that she hated her job as a cop because she wasn't involved in any missions and was bored of her co-workers, so she left. Then she turns towards the three men and says "Hey, you three, can't you just leave me alone already?" to which Tarkh responds "Excuse me, I did not mean to stalk you, it is usual for me to sit on front of the bar counter.", then the guys order their drinks and Tarkh tells Tesh about the Wylkar and the journey that he and Tantei want to go on. Tesh says "That sounds so exciting! I'll learn so much!" then Tarkh says "But brother, do not forget that it is a perillous quest and should be taken seriously." to which Tesh responds "Well, I'll ask Oysenn for a gun, he has some from the Energy War, when outsiders were after our power plants, and I'll see if I can get good at using them." So Tesh gets a gun at Oysenn's shop and trains in the stockroom after Oysenn gets some noise-cancelling headsets and nails painted wooden planks on the wall. Of course you don't see all of that, Oysenn just says what he's gonna do, the screen fades to black, goes back to normal, Tesh's training is done, then you get out of the shop, and find the angry girl near the shop. She apologizes for being rude and introduces herself: "My name's Ayaka". She says that she finds the Wylkar quest interesting. "Finally I'll do something useful. I still have my electric baton and I can use it very well. I used to spend my time training when I, cough, worked in the police." There's more dialogue but I tried to sum this up as quickly as I could. Tesh also explains a certain mechanic that involves the Life Crystal.
(damn, I hope this paragraph isn't too long (slanty))
There will be character development.

Here is a list of the main dungeons with the Wylkar you'll find in them along with their holder:
  1. Mossy Underground Galleries - Being of Emotions Suruzhal - Willard Sarell the Botanist
  2. Dunkelsilia's Secret Basements - Everlasting Energy Exaenar - Laaru Karuda the Apprentice
  3. Ancient Ruins of Rahm - Wind Warlock Jinram - Garod Frank the Traveler
  4. Karuda's Sacred Dome (features crystal caves and stuff (amazed)) - King of the Earth Gaktuirahn - Myuri Karuda the Sword Master
  5. Depths of Lanesia (basically volcanic caves) - Overlord of the Earth Flanahra - Davey Hannetfield Thrasher
  6. Mount Frasmund (frozen mountain à la Mt Coronet) - Bringer of Life Gienon - Lukhurd the Inspired Blacker (yes, a cameo of myself!)
  7. Kingdom of Axsilia - Angel of Darkness Morzun - [SPOILIPOPISPOILER (shocked)] the King of Twilight
(Metal music is omnipresent in the urban parts of the game. haha. Dunkelsilia is even a city full of metalheads and the biggest event there is a huge festival called the Dunkelfest. The mayor is Fenriz from Darkthrone, which is a reference to how Fenriz actually became an alternate representative in the council of a Norwegian town, Kolbotn, by accident. He pasted posters with a photo of him and his cat with "Don't vote for me" on it thinking nobody would vote for him but he won the elections (jolly) Lukhurd is the vocalist and lead guitarist of a famous black metal band in the game (band called Sabbath Gathering, don't look it up, it's not a real band), you get to see him live when you first go to Dunkelsilia)

I'll be including mechanics that will "make my game stand out" if you know what I mean. When you meet Tarkh, he'll introduce you to the battle system (in a non-intrusive way) which uses SRD's Timed Attack and Active Defense plugin: certain skills use a different kind of timed attack so there's a bit of variety (having the same kind of timed attack for every skill is just, boring) and there are two ways to avoid the enemies' attacks: one is jumping and the other one is dodging backwards. Both work for a specific type of attack, for example, when an enemy runs towards you you'll need to jump, whereas you'll need to dodge backwards to avoid getting stomped.
It's certainly not unique, but mining will be a big part of my game. Besides Shir (the currency in my game), you'll find ores which you can combine to create skills using the Life Crystal (which is what Tesh explains). I think it's a good reward for exploration. It's not a reason to make exploration boring though! Now of course there will be optional sidequests and dungeons that will reward you with optional items (still haven't decided what they would be so far).

• Title screen: 0/1
  • Game over screen: 0/1
  • Menu background: 0/1
  • Demo enemy battlers: 0/4
  • Demo boss battlers: 0/2
  • Enemy battlers: 0/22
  • Boss battlers: 0/6
Sprites:
  • Demo enemy sprites: 0/4
  • Enemy sprites: 0/22

Last edited:

Lukhurd

Villager
Xy$
You can't make sideview games in RPG Maker and this is obviously a forum dedicated to RPG Maker MV...
If you want to work for someone's game I don't think whether or not the game is an open-world 2D platformer matters. If you want to work only for open-world 2D platformers then this forum is not for you. Sorry :/

Lukhurd

Villager
Xy$
Oh, sorry, yes the battles are in side view.
I don't really understand what you're talking about for the faces? Maybe you mean there are enemy sprites instead of random encounters? In this case yes.

Mysiath

the Eternal Lord in the Nothingness
Xy$
...That's a summary? Mate. That summary needs more summarizing.

Honestly... that's a tl;dr worthy summary. You need to take some time and edit it. Clean it up, paragraphs, and make it so that it wouldn't just be a plain wall'o'text

I liked what I managed to read and that is very little. I wish you the best of luck though.