Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mythology

Noctis

Villager
Xy$
So I made a simple mythology that I will be using in my game. Here it is:
(English is not my first language, so sorry for the bad english :D )

"In the beginning, the Goddess Atra created the mortal world Sanctum, separated from the world of the Deities. She then gave birth to two children: Ennea her daughter, and Ceros her son. With her blood flowing in their veins, both are bestowed with the power to summon ancient beasts called Aetherean on their side. But this power is forbidden for all deities because they believe that this will cause a great catastrophe.

Atra assigned Ennea as the guardian and ruler of the Sanctum. Ceros felt a twinge of envy so he asked Atra to create another realm where he can be its ruler, but Atra refused. She believe that Ceros is not worthy enough for such task, and he has much to learn. Knowing that her mother never acknowledge his capability, he let his hatred consumed his soul.

For a long time Ceros carried his hatred towards his mother and his sister. Until one day, he killed his mother. Ceros knew that he will never become a ruler with Atra dead. Filled with hatred, he vowed to kill his sister and destroy the mortal world. Then the “Cataclysm" happened. He summoned Aethereans using his own blood and unleashed them on the surface of the world, but Ennea fought back. She summoned Aethereans even powerful than Ceros, and they fought in the mortal world. In the end, Ennea defeated Ceros. Ceros swore to take revenge and resurrect in time to unleash another calamity in the mortal world. But Ennea swore that when that time comes, she will return to the mortal world to protect it again. Before Ceros vanished, he threw a spike in Ennea’s chest, wounding her badly. The world is ruined. Using Ennea's remaining strength, she renewed the Sanctum, giving it a new life, and then she vanished.

The remnants of the Aethereans scattered around Sanctum and continue to exist up to the present time, they believe that Ennea allow these remnants to remain in the mortal world to guard it and to make it prosper. It is said that some seers possess powers to summon Aethereans from their remnants to bestow great power to a human.

According to the legend, both Ennea and Ceros vanished but there are some who believe that their remnants are somewhere in the Sanctum, hidden, and waiting to be resurrected. The seers know this, but never seek them to avoid the "Cataclysm" to happen again."

So what do you think? And please feel free to correct wrong grammars and reconstruct the sentences to make it better, I will greatly appreciate it :)

EDITED:
Changed the name of the deities and some terms.
BTW, I get the name 'Thymos' from the greek word of anger. Frey from the name Freya in Nordic mythology. Atra - i don't know how I came up with this name lol, I just know this is a Latin word and the feminine of 'Atro' which means dark?

Last edited:

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am a mythology and religions trivia book sometimes. Did you know that Frey is a name of a Nordic deity? We actually get the English day of the week, Friday, named after him. Thymos is a peasant god, or a simple god. Atra is also a Hindu deity. Were you intending on creating your own mythos, or borrow different deities from different pantheons?

Micro

Dragon Goddess
Nice, I love mythological-based stories!

This sounds like a really cool concept. Looking forward to seeing more.

@MinisterJay yeah, it seems pretty common for people to borrow names from other mythologies, so I'm assuming he's creating something original?

Maybe you can keep that in mind, @Noctis? some people might get a little confused if you use names from other mythologies in your works and associate your game characters with the characters from those mythologies, rather than your own story.

I personally like using unique names in my stories, because then people won't be comparing them to their namesake. It lets you build an entirely original character, you know? I totally don't mind when I see people borrowing stuff from mythology though! after all, we're all borrowing something from somewhere hehe.

again, great concept so far. keep it up!

Noctis

Villager
Xy$
I am a mythology and religions trivia book sometimes. Did you know that Frey is a name of a Nordic deity? We actually get the English day of the week, Friday, named after him. Thymos is a peasant god, or a simple god. Atra is also a Hindu deity. Were you intending on creating your own mythos, or borrow different deities from different pantheons?
yes, I know Frey. But as for thymos and Atra I didn't know that they are already an existing god. I came up with thymos when I am randomly typing some words like "end, destroy, etc" something like that in google translator in get the greek word :). For atra, I remembered before that I saw a word Atradea that means goddess? So I just get 'Atra' make it a name.

Is it bad to borrow existing god's names? I don't mind whether I borrow names or make my own, but if it's not good to borrow names for your own myth maybe I'll think of the names myself.
[doublepost=1451790924,1451790748][/doublepost]
Nice, I love mythological-based stories!

This sounds like a really cool concept. Looking forward to seeing more.
Maybe you can keep that in mind, @Noctis? some people might get a little confused if you use names from other mythologies in your works and associate your game characters with the characters from those mythologies, rather than your own story.

I personally like using unique names in my stories, because then people won't be comparing them to their namesake. It lets you build an entirely original character, you know? I totally don't mind when I see people borrowing stuff from mythology though! after all, we're all borrowing something from somewhere hehe.

again, great concept so far. keep it up!
Noted.
Oh yes I am making my own mythology and for the record this is my very first attempt to make one :D
What about manipulating the names to make my own variation?

Micro

Dragon Goddess
Is it bad to borrow existing god's names? I don't mind whether I borrow names or make my own, but if it's not good to borrow names for your own myth maybe I'll think of the names myself.

Oh yes I am making my own mythology and for the record this is my very first attempt to make one :D
What about manipulating the names to make my own variation?
Nah I don't think it's bad. It's extremely common in JRPGs especially. it's just your preference really.

yea that's gonna be awesome! sure, manipulating names can be really fun :)

Cate

Adventurer
Xy$
I think it'd be fine to manipulate names. I think it could give your game a more original feel and could go along with the feel of the rest of the story.

Noctis

Villager
Xy$
I've changed Frey and Thymos but maybe I'll stick with Atra, I've searched and the only thing I saw is Astra some sort of weapon in hindu?

Macro

Pantologist
Xy$
In my opinion it's hard to make "original" names, and sometimes I think it's better to not worry about it so much. I don't like when people make names that I can't pronounce without reading a tutorial. >_<

Cate

Adventurer
Xy$
In my opinion it's hard to make "original" names, and sometimes I think it's better to not worry about it so much. I don't like when people make names that I can't pronounce without reading a tutorial. >_<
I agree that they should be easy to pronounce! Definitely. You don't want to disrupt people's experience.

Iron Croc

I eat my fries with fire.
Xy$
Creative names can be fun! But if you're stressing out over names more than the actual mythology, then you're doing it all wrong.

Sound great so far, OP! Keep it up! (And I always thought Friday was named after FREYA... )

iblamevictoria

Towns Guard
So I made a simple mythology that I will be using in my game. Here it is:
(English is not my first language, so sorry for the bad english :D )

"In the beginning, the Goddess Atra created the mortal world Sanctum, separated from the world of the Deities. She then gave birth to two children: Ennea her daughter, and Ceros her son. With her blood flowing in their veins, both are bestowed with the power to summon ancient beasts called Aetherean on their side. But this power is forbidden for all deities because they believe that this will cause a great catastrophe.

Atra assigned Ennea as the guardian and ruler of the Sanctum. Ceros felt a twinge of envy so he asked Atra to create another realm where he can be its ruler, but Atra refused. She believe that Ceros is not worthy enough for such task, and he has much to learn. Knowing that her mother never acknowledge his capability, he let his hatred consumed his soul.

For a long time Ceros carried his hatred towards his mother and his sister. Until one day, he killed his mother. Ceros knew that he will never become a ruler with Atra dead. Filled with hatred, he vowed to kill his sister and destroy the mortal world. Then the “Cataclysm" happened. He summoned Aethereans using his own blood and unleashed them on the surface of the world, but Ennea fought back. She summoned Aethereans even powerful than Ceros, and they fought in the mortal world. In the end, Ennea defeated Ceros. Ceros swore to take revenge and resurrect in time to unleash another calamity in the mortal world. But Ennea swore that when that time comes, she will return to the mortal world to protect it again. Before Ceros vanished, he threw a spike in Ennea’s chest, wounding her badly. The world is ruined. Using Ennea's remaining strength, she renewed the Sanctum, giving it a new life, and then she vanished.

The remnants of the Aethereans scattered around Sanctum and continue to exist up to the present time, they believe that Ennea allow these remnants to remain in the mortal world to guard it and to make it prosper. It is said that some seers possess powers to summon Aethereans from their remnants to bestow great power to a human.

According to the legend, both Ennea and Ceros vanished but there are some who believe that their remnants are somewhere in the Sanctum, hidden, and waiting to be resurrected. The seers know this, but never seek them to avoid the "Cataclysm" to happen again."

So what do you think? And please feel free to correct wrong grammars and reconstruct the sentences to make it better, I will greatly appreciate it :)

EDITED:
Changed the name of the deities and some terms.
BTW, I get the name 'Thymos' from the greek word of anger. Frey from the name Freya in Nordic mythology. Atra - i don't know how I came up with this name lol, I just know this is a Latin word and the feminine of 'Atro' which means dark?
I think your lore is pretty interesting. Maybe it would be cool to see Ceros attempt to create his own realm (since his super rad mom wouldn't let him have one) and that realm Ceros creates is super horrible and evil and stuff. Since he has hate in his heart. I dunno. I don't wanna mess with your vision. Sounds like you've got something pretty solid here. It'll be cool to see where this goes.

I think your lore is pretty interesting. Maybe it would be cool to see Ceros attempt to create his own realm (since his super rad mom wouldn't let him have one) and that realm Ceros creates is super horrible and evil and stuff. Since he has hate in his heart. I dunno. I don't wanna mess with your vision. Sounds like you've got something pretty solid here. It'll be cool to see where this goes.
That actually sounds pretty cool, and maybe this could be where he's been hiding? Just an idea.