Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monkeying around in MV#1: State is quo!

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!

PART 1: STATE IS QUO
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Simply put, if you don't know the best way to do something in RPGmaker, that doesn't make you dumb, merely inexperienced. The trick to best using RPGmaker isn't in getting your thing to work, it's in getting it to work in the most efficient way for you to manipulate and understand. The creative process itself is at the end of the day, just another expressive form."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Hello everyone! It is I, the great Biz! Here to teach you some simple but often overlooked tricks in MV. The flavor of today is states! MV's support for states is by far possibly the strongest of any engine thus far, helped along by it's extensive plugins courtesy of the official English release team.

While I say the flavor of today I can't imagine I'll produce one of these everyday, so don't take that figure of speech to heart, Mr. Literal! Some days may be host to several tutorials, some days I may only write one, I might not write one some days, hell, I may take the whole week off if I feel inclined to doing so, I sort of like to think I can do whatever I want? :o

Gentlemen, let's begin!
With pleasantries out of the way, we may now begin the stattening... no that isn't a real word, it just sounded phonetically stupid enough to be hilarious.

We've come a long way since the appallingly basic state support that was in VX
With the addition of paramaters in VX Ace limited state support became a thing of the past. MV's taken the strong points of it's predecessor well, now calling them traits, they are essentially the same.

On the right, the traits section, left, the other properties.

So have you ever played games that have rewarded you for being clever with elements? Surely you have, and I'm not simply talking scanning an enemy to check his weaknesses, I'm talking about making your own!

Epic Battle fantasy is the closest example, if an enemy was 'wet' they'd take lots of damage from lightning. If you've played my own little project, Terra: New Moon-- you may have noticed that whenever you use an elemental ability a state is applied, if you're clever you'll discover that you can use these states to hugely effect your damage output.

And this is only scratching the surface of the creative power now invested to rpg battles with states, here's another example using a trait.

Goldmine anybody?

Now, I'm not your mother, so you'll have to forgive me if I can't be here telling you how to do everything, this tutorial isn't so much a tutorial as key to open awareness that is locked behind the gatekeeper, whoever the gatekeeper is, you wouldn't know, and I don't either!

The important thing is to experiment, fiddle, mess about and meddle, in the zealous way any stereotypical scientist is known for. You can be a mad stateicist! All you need to do is, well... try things out, experiment, learn, take mental notes, maybe jot down digital or even physical notes, learning, watching, waiting and baiting. Does this work No, try it another way, the process to any glorified creative process is to do all that's wrong until somethings looks and feels right. Bold and brave like any madman with noble goals, that's how we roll... that's, the process.

This process is also rewarding, very rewarding... because in trying to make one thing work other experiments will arise, new data to strain, new ideas to test, new experiments to perform, busy, busy busy! So very busy, but so very fun, theory-crafting, it's all a big game in itself, fun to think about, fun to mess with. Good fun... always-- good fun.

I hope you enjoyed this slice of state, now it's time to blow this statesticle stand as well as all these horrible jokes and let you get wet with stately wit.