Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mobile and PC Resolutions

(PC encompassing Mac and other computer platforms)

I know MV isn't out yet - at least not for a while. However, we do know that MV will allow us to change resolutions.

However, when designing for various resolutions including mobile (I am going to assume we will have to modify the resolution for each platform we want to publish on, and re-compress the game each time) we will have to take into account what the player can see on the screen at any one time.

The resolution of a phone for example, is much more rectangular than computers, and there is a lot less vertical space. This means that if anything important happens outside of this vertical space, the player may not be able to see it unless the camera pans up.

What other considerations do you think will have to be taken into account for the various resolutions/displays?

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I personally hope MV will be a bit more powerful than that by allowing an export option which will resize the game for you. Though when designing for big resolutions you have to take backgrounds and pictures into consideration. I am more worried about designing menus though, I have a feeling we will need to create all resolutions of menus in order for it to look correctly on mobile versions, kinda like websites.

Yeah, regardless of how the export actually works (And personally I'm hoping the resolution will actually be manually choosable since the specs change so often) menus, images, mapping, events and the like will need consideration for the resolutions you do choose to use.