Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Map Doodads

Micro

Dragon Goddess
So when you make a map, when do you create all the random little things for it? Like treasures, secret events, dialogues, side quests, etc. Do you do them all before you move on to the next map, or do you work a little bit ahead, then go back and add this stuff later?

I try to put most of the main stuff into the map before I move on to the next one, but I find that if I spend too much time adding stuff to a particular map, I'll just get bored/burnt out.

What about you guys? What works best for you?

P.S. - I am not sure if this is in the right forum. I assumed it was because this is the Map & Design forum, but if I'm wrong I apologize. (amazed)

Akod

Praised Adventurer
Back when I used to work on games, the way I did it was I would take a map, think of the most linear path you would be able to take through the map and add anything that the player would have to walk past. Then, when I got bored of doing what I was doing, I would go back and add in the fluff events to help fill in the rest of the map.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I create a ton of maps, I'm a secret mapping lover, well not so secret because I'm not trying to hide it lol. Mapping is one of my strong points, because I can finish maps really quick and they still look nice. Anyways I create all kinds of maps, at one time, then I start to event my game. I usually do it in a linear fashion, so the first map the game starts in, is the map I will start to event, I do as much as I can with the eventing I can at that time, but you will never get every event in there right away because you may decide to remove events or add more for different features later on in the development process.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My answer is yes. Some maps get done quick, the character goes frompoint A to point B, has a few encounters and then transports to next map. Other maps have maps within maps, quests, sub-quests, multiple events, etc. These can have all the maps within maps, that I may finish before doing the final touches of a main map. There are all kinds of strategies. Find one that works with you. It may take some experimenting or it make take disciplined scheduled map making. What works with your work ethic works best. Making an entire game's worth of maps is a voyage from A to Z. Sometimes, it does matter what manners it takes, with different variations, to get there. The goal is to get there. You can do it, and you can find the way that works best for you.

Micro

Dragon Goddess
you can find the way that works best for you.
I definitely have :D I was just curious how you guys are. I like learning about everyone here and their own methods of making games/what works best for them. just a nice little way to get some discussion going on here ;)

Chibae

Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca
Well, when i make my maps i mainly do in order of storyline, so after its mapped i think of what story will go, add the story events, and maybe add some chests, but then move on, sometimes i go back and tweak it a bit and add side stuff. I usually do side stuff after I finished the story XD

Iron Croc

I eat my fries with fire.
Xy$
I map in a way so that one map can fit in or around another. So the flow of maps makes sense and doesn't seem poorly placed or like they're last-minute additions.

I, like Chibi, also map in accordance to a particular storyline.

Eien Nanashi

Temporarily Goddamn Bright Yellow
Xy$
I haven't been mapping recently, but like Chibs and Croc, I make my maps in the order of when the storyline needs it.
I put down the rough layout of the paths you'll take, like you're sketching with a pencil. Especially with "natural" maps, like forests, caves, etc.
Usually, I would finish the map first by putting all of the decorations.

Like you Micro, I also sometimes burn myself out by spending too much time on one map. And I don't progress or move anywhere till I get that done, so... hello, procrastination. XD

To answer your question, I don't know what works best for me, actually. But I'd guess what would work for me is if I don't spend all my time "perfecting" my map, don't overthink and move on. You can always come back to it later.

Micro

Dragon Goddess
To answer your question, I don't know what works best for me, actually. But I'd guess what would work for me is if I don't spend all my time "perfecting" my map, don't overthink and move on. You can always come back to it later.
Agree entirely. this is exactly how I roll! looking at something for too long makes it difficult to keep "perfecting" it continually too, since it all kind of blends together and makes it harder to spot mistakes or things that might look weird.