Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Map Animations

Robert Lee

Villager
Xy$
I have searched the forums and cannot find a definitive answer to my question so here goes....

It seems that as with lots of things there is more than one way to create simple animations on maps, campfire with flickering flames or moving water. But I also see warnings in various places about certain things slowing the game down.

So my question is: of the different techniques for map animations (whether or not it is part of an event) which technique is least likely to cause a game slowdown.

I realise that there may only be anecdotal evidence around but if someone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful before I have produced too many maps with animations on them.

Thanks you..

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
with events, it only slows down if there are many MANY events with stepping animation/move route (50-100 or more). Normal animations, the ones that have sheets in the Animations folder are the ones that make your computer/laptop lag. I don't really know much more but there are fe scripts that allow parallax backgrounds to be animated and there are animated autotiles (but they seriously don't seem to destroy the performance XD). There have been anti lag scripts for ace and I'm not sure if some for mv exist but they probably do.