Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leveling System: Traits

BlizZaga

Villager
Xy$
Hey everyone, I'd like some feedback on how to make a leveling system DECREASE a trait/stat, so, for example, if Vulnerability was high at Level 1, when you level up, it would go down instead of up. I guess all I'm asking is how to code this so a stat would decrease as you level up instead of increase.

Now there isn't a battle system, so I would use events to gain Experience Points. So this could be done in lots of ways: pick events to do to gain specific stats more than others, or explore the game thoroughly to find all the possible events you can take part in. When your stats get to a certain point, say, the courage stat, allies may have different reactions to you. If you had a Somber personality with you and your Influence wasn't high enough, your kind words would't have an effect. Like I said, I'm going to play around with this and see what I can do. But the main question I would like answered is how to decrease a stat by a certain number of points.

And it doesn't have to be leveling up, I'd just like to be able to decrease stat points.

I have an idea of replacing the main stat gains with these traits instead:

The classes I replaced with personalities so, (ex. Serious, Kind, Fierce)

Max HP: Max Stamina (how long you can go without food) Max MP: Max Drive (enthusiasm, so if it was low, you wouldn't be able to do a certain action until a skill was used to increase your Drive)
Attack: Influence
Defense: Constitution
Magic Attack: Courage
Magic Defense: Vulnerability (if high, you are affected more by negative events)
Agility: Intellect
Luck: Clumsiness (until I can find a better word, effects cooking and fishing event probability)

I have made skills which you learn when you level up which use mainly MP (Drive)