Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping Track of Credits?

Lark Monster

Towns Guard
Xy$
While I highly doubt I'd ever actually release a game or have the need to keep track of which resources were made by whom, I still would like some way to keep track of them just in case. The problem I find is that most resources aren't named to have the creators name, and I always seem to forget where/who made what.

So, how do you all keep track of resources you download and their creators? I could always just rename the files to have the creators name...or just make a separate folder for each creator...or...something. Typing it all out in a notepad/word file somewhere feels like a lot of work too...but in the off chance I do need to know it for later I'd like to be able to find it easily. Any suggestions?

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
I typically keep a notepad file for any project I'm working on, and just add folks to the credits as-needed. Sometimes I'll put a "?" by their name if I'm not sure whether or not I'll be keeping their work in.

Lark Monster

Towns Guard
Xy$
Thanks Amy, that's a good idea. I ended up starting a google docs file and am listing things under categories, then listing each person and their resources I am using (so far). I always seem to lose track of notepad files so this seems easier...I hope!!

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
Haha, sounds like a plan! Having categories is nice, because then you can always use Ctrl+F and search for whatever section you need. ^^ (cute)

Gotta love staying organized!

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What I do is make sure that I have their names as part of the image/audio/plugin file name. Let's say I have a commissioned faceset down by Amysaurus. This is how I may save the file "GoblinsFaces_by_Amysaurus.png". By doing this it helps me have easier access to knowing all the different contributors to the project.

I, too, use creators' names in filenames, but if I can't find the name of the original creator, I put the website I found it on (making sure it's not one of those resource leeching sites, of course) and have a separate Notepad file with the website's link. I used to put things in categories, but just have them all in one place, usually under a folder named the same as the project's.

Last edited:

Lark Monster

Towns Guard
Xy$
I initially downloaded a lot of things because it was all so new and exciting, so unfortunately I have a lot of files that I have no idea who they belong to, oops. So I have a folder of that stuff set aside, and hope to find the creators name eventually to change the filename and add to my list with categories if I decide to use it.

CraftGeek

Knight
Xy$
When I start a project, I usually keep a running list of contributors in game. I usually just name it credits, so I can credit anyone whose resources I use in my project. I will also add their name in the filename so I can access it again in other projects.