Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idea: In-Depth Game w/ Fallout-Style Params

BlacksmithMV

Villager
Xy$
Okay, so it's possible that I've already brought this up; but now I'm here to clarify. I'm still in the process of theorizing and planning for a game, despite being a one-man Team, and figuring out what I want out of it. I think, after playing the free game "Fallout Shelter", that I want to create a game where the player is essentially in the same situation as a Vault Dweller. A game where the player, whether or not in Fallout, uses more than just combat skills to progress the game and may use more than just combat skills to win it. This would likely form the base of the game concept.

Now admittedly, before you ask about story, I have nothing for that at the moment. If I'm to make it literally a Fallout RPG I will need to delve very deeply into Fallout's lore and such to gain some grasp of it. It may just be a sandbox-style game until I can get any kind of plot done in it. Let's save that for another post; but right now I want to discuss these params and how they should affect the game.

If you've played Fallout, you'd know about the SPECIAL system. The following are what these mean and how I think they can be applied not only to combat but to common tasks aside of it.

Strength: Fairly obviously a combat-oriented attribute, but this would be ideal for most forms of manual labor in tasks throughout the game. Now realistically, perhaps, a low level of strength wouldn't outright keep a character from doing a task, but might just accomplish it with poorer results or fail entirely.

Footnote: It's far more complicated getting this attribute working into combat, though; I need to find a way to, say, make a variable that would make some change to attack power.

Perception: More important than it may seem at first, a variable for a player's perceptive ability could help point out all sorts of goodies that less-perceptive players would miss. Hidden treasures or chinks in an enemy's defense or even making out subtle facial expressions in conversations. Smelling, hearing- basically taking in the sights and sounds and smells of the world to one end or another.

Endurance: Another typical combat attribute, but may be more than it seems. Might govern a level of stamina for how far a player can run, or how long they may last in extreme conditions, or affect their HP. Just as well, if tasks in the game require a level of stamina, endurance covers that as well.

Charisma: Pretty obvious in usage, and may have a minimal requirement in linear conversations. But it could get more complicated if these were stretched beyond such and formed into complex, dynamic conversations with effects impacted by speech that may or may not be voluntary by the player. Especially since it's left to question whether you choose exactly what your character is saying or pick an action. For instance the difference between "Hi, how are you", which can be said in a number of different ways and a command like [Greet] where you can probably imagine what you're saying in your head.

Intelligence: Yes, it's a skill that would likely govern magic attack/defense, but thinking of the other benefits like EXP gain or skill leveling, comprehension in speech or of a book, etc, gives it more promise. There are specific tasks that require high intelligence, and smarter work is generally better-paying work. Yet to balance this, the best jobs are probably in high demand that require high investments of intelligence which would make for balanced, physically frail characters that are smart.

Agility: Likely an attribute governing turn rate in combat, although it can also be used for varying work/physical applications. A high agility might let you hop over obstacles or gain out-of-reach objects where less-agile characters would fail to access; or performaning delicate work that requires deftness. Even, affecting how much time passes over the world map while you move across it.

Luck: This actually already exists, like the others, and affects critical hit chances and the chances of status effects taking place. But a variable for luck could make all the difference in certain situations, adding a small boost to the chance of doing something right. That's just what luck is; can't be used as much other than a supporting trait.

NOW, on the most basic level, all of these will likely be simple variables on display in the character menu as devised by scripts I'm preparing. But they can make a heck of a lot of difference as seen in the examples I've given and a few simple mathematical and randomized processes that add skill investment to chance, and will add depth to the game I may one day make. Now I need to know your thoughts on this idea here, other things aside. I'll elaborate on everything else when I can, but I'm focusing on this. Think about it; a game where your attributes both physical and mental make more of a difference than just in combat. Maybe, if I can get this right, a game where you don't have to fight to win.

Jiriki9

Towns Guard
Xy$
I like that concept and I think such coudl and shouldbe implemented in more games. On making a game in which you don't have to fight to win: That would be awesome,imo,but you have tobe VERY careful in creating it, becauseyou'd essentially have to make it possible to avoid EVERY fight, or at least almost every fight.