Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to learn JavaScript for RPG Maker MV

JavaScript vs Ruby?

• JavaScipt

Votes: 65 95.6%
  • Ruby

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters

DevoidOS

Knight
Xy$
Hey guys I'm pretty sure that some of you already know some JavaScript. But many of y'all don't. So I've decided to make this thread into where you can share your JavaScript knowledge with the ones who don't.

Beginner:
Let's get you started with learning most of the important parts for JavaScript.
Go to https://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/javascript AND LEARN ALL 10 HOURS (estimated) OF IT! (its more like 5 but whateves)
This is very important and covers all of the basics of what you will need to be using.
Some of the stuff you WILL need to pay attention to are if/else, functions, loops, and arrays.

@Storytailor suggests https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming/programming. Thanks for the suggestion because I am and idiot and forgot to add this.

Advanced:
Visit http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp and learn everything after the JavaScript Tutorial section.

@Trumully suggests https://codecombat.com/ where you can learn JavaScript and Python while you play a game! Thanks for the suggestion!

So I'm editing this in but another important skill you should have when coding is the ability to type quickly with little or errors. This will definitely speed up the process of coding.
Here are some websites:
http://www.keybr.com/#!game Really good I recommend this.

http://play.typeracer.com/ Race other people while typing!

This will cover most of the stuff that will be used in scripting (plugins). If anyone else has suggestions please leave them as replies and they will be added to the list. Anyone who knows more please help the new people learn better and have a good time! Thanks for reading and have a fun time coding!

EDIT: Well I wrote this and then saw that there was another post on learning the basics in another thread but whatever, I'll post this anyways.

Last edited:

Trumully

Cyborg Kiwi
Hey guys I'm pretty sure that some of you already know some JavaScript. But many of y'all don't. So I've decided to make this thread into where you can share your JavaScript knowledge with the ones who don't.

Beginner:
Let's get you started with learning most of the important parts for JavaScript.
Go to https://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/javascript AND LEARN ALL 10 HOURS (estimated) OF IT!
This is very important and covers all of the basics of what you will need to be using.
Some of the stuff you WILL need to pay attention to are if/else, functions, loops, and arrays.

Advanced:
Visit http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp and learn everything after the JavaScript Tutorial section.

This will cover most of the stuff that will be used in scripting (plugins). If anyone else has suggestions please leave them as replies and they will be added to the list. Anyone who knows more please help the new people learn better and have a good time! Thanks for reading and have a fun time coding!

EDIT: Well I wrote this and then saw that there was another post on learning the basics in another thread but whatever, I'll post this anyways.
Those are all very awesome! Another VERY easy and beginner program is Code Combat, which you can learn basic Javascript AND Python. It's pretty fun as it's a dungeon game. Game while you learn, folks.
(Bad saying, don't use it.)

I would also recommend signing up for the free services of Khan Academy and taking their course on Intro to JavaScript: Drawing & Animation. It's a great introduction to the language, and although it doesn't come in a fun combat-/gaming-based environment, it does offer some key lessons in drawing things out (which will be very useful for editing your menu windows and things of the sort).

DevoidOS

Knight
Xy$
can you help with this
https://www.khanacademy.org/computer-programming/spin-off-of-project-hoppy-beaver-extreme/5330536120844288
I wanna make the npc appear on screen just to see if the code can work basically so I can make it move
Not sure on what exactly you want but if want to now the code for the Beaver its everything with the var Beaver. Although it seems to be working fine.
[doublepost=1444960750,1444960719][/doublepost]
I would also recommend signing up for the free services of Khan Academy and taking their course on Intro to JavaScript: Drawing & Animation. It's a great introduction to the language, and although it doesn't come in a fun combat-/gaming-based environment, it does offer some key lessons in drawing things out (which will be very useful for editing your menu windows and things of the sort).
Wow I can't believe I didn't add that yet! Will do immediately!

npfkey.log

Towns Guard
Xy$
Not sure on what exactly you want but if want to now the code for the Beaver its everything with the var Beaver. Although it seems to be working fine.
[doublepost=1444960750,1444960719][/doublepost]
Wow I can't believe I didn't add that yet! Will do immediately!
but on the file when the game is over it wont go back to title

Xamos

Towns Guard
Xy$
Thank you for this! I am very fluent in PHP and HTML.

JS has always been my weakness but for RPG Maker MV's sake I shall force myself to learn it!

Finally another great use for this language! :)

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
Thanks for the tutorial, but I have to complain about Codecademy, its outrageous. I have made several attempts to learn Java there, all ended in horrid failures, you get errors and have no clue what went wrong, it don't gives you flexibility to explore different ways to fix the problem, and most if not all lessons leave gaps. The way it teach coding is simple ridiculous, I had much more progress by buying books and trying by myself through video tutorials.

eivl

Local Hero
Xy$
Ask here and you would get answer pretty fast. And i hope you mean JavaScript and not Java.

Java is to JavaScript as Ham is to Hamburger.
[doublepost=1448730114,1448729968][/doublepost]Also as a side note, online training places learn you JavaScript syntax and general peogramming, but to understand MV code you must also learn Object Oriented Programming, or OOP.

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
I really meant Java, which now I domain. I'm still walking around learning JavaScript (which by now I know that there is nothing to do with Java). I don't think codecademy is good way for beginners, but I'll give it a try again, although I don't expect much.

I'm migrating from the old RPG XP to MV, which is by far better. I do programming with Ruby, and I'm looking forward to swap some of my ruby made scripts of XP to MV JavaScript.

eivl

Local Hero
Xy$
Well, the power of JavaScript is : you can do anything. You can make the same code run on all current and future devices without any other hacks.

Weakness is some very strange ways of doing OOP, but it will be solved in the next version of JS. But that is a long way ahead.

I would recomend a JS book over anything, but if you do not sant to read then you have to select a sub par learning method like video or online course.

Join me the next time i live stream coding something with JavaScript.

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
Sure, thanks. I'm trying to Learn JS directly on RPG Maker MV so I get acquainted with its modules. Right now trying to work with one of my ruby scripts migration, which limits the amount of items you can carry, but its very specific, since its allows you to choose the amount for that specific item. In ruby its works in a Array like this:
_______________RUBY SYNTAX
ITEM_LIMIT = { #here its Item array, bellow there is one for Weapon and one for Armors.
1=>20, #Potion
2=>20, #High-Potion
3=>10, #Mega-Potion
4=>5, #Elixir }
and so on, I can add as many lines as I need to specify the max amount of the item/armor/weapon.
It work by changing the window_item module, window_shop module (since its limit affect the items you can purchase), window_weapon/armor. I need some more learning of MV modules and how to do it on JS. Perhaps I'm overdoing it, I should learn more JS.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
Surprisingly I find Javascript easy, I've only ever known the basics of programming, when I was younger I did a bit of ActionScript and also C++, I never stuck with it, only learned the basics, did some simple hello world program, maybe a bit more once in awhile but I never proceeding to make a lot of things with computer languages.
Then no more than 2-3 months ago I picked up Ruby so I could learn to script in Ace, and I felt I learned more in the small amount o f time I scripted, I mean nothing big and advanced, but I still made scripts, and was able to read and understand at least 65% of what I was reading. Then MV comes out and I find the transition extremely simple, javascript to me, is epic, I love it so far, I mean I'm no pro, yet but I find it has this very clean look. It's also so powerful, and I don't even know half of the things I can probably accomplish with it, IMO I'm still a newb lol, anyways enough rambling on about my love for javascript lol.

I don't think codecademy is good way for beginners, but I'll give it a try again
I agree but at the same time it is still a helpful tool, if you know basic programming now, then I believe this tool will make you comfortable with the syntax, it's teaching through example and making you write code, and what I've learned is the more code you write the easier it gets.

eivl

Local Hero
Xy$
Sure, thanks. I'm trying to Learn JS directly on RPG Maker MV so I get acquainted with its modules. Right now trying to work with one of my ruby scripts migration, which limits the amount of items you can carry, but its very specific, since its allows you to choose the amount for that specific item. In ruby its works in a Array like this:
_______________RUBY SYNTAX
ITEM_LIMIT = { #here its Item array, bellow there is one for Weapon and one for Armors.
1=>20, #Potion
2=>20, #High-Potion
3=>10, #Mega-Potion
4=>5, #Elixir }
and so on, I can add as many lines as I need to specify the max amount of the item/armor/weapon.
It work by changing the window_item module, window_shop module (since its limit affect the items you can purchase), window_weapon/armor. I need some more learning of MV modules and how to do it on JS. Perhaps I'm overdoing it, I should learn more JS.
working with arrays in JS is almost the same as in Ruby, so you should feel familiar, Yanfly have an Item Core script you should look at, it might be a good learning tool while you convert your old scripts.

Ronivan

Towns Guard
Xy$
I still think it would be much, much, MUCH more interesting learning JS directly on RPG Maker MV. A tutorial like this would be, at least, divine.
I still bear scars from learning Ruby and trying to figure out how it worked on XP/ACE, it was like losing my soul to hell. I'm looking foward for a tutorial directly on RPG Maker MV.
[doublepost=1448733993,1448733640][/doublepost]
working with arrays in JS is almost the same as in Ruby, so you should feel familiar, Yanfly have an Item Core script you should look at, it might be a good learning tool while you convert your old scripts.
Oh yes indeed Yanfly have such plugin. But it creates a limit for all items, while the one I'm working allows you to choose. I know I can't do it in the arry directly on the plugin, but I know this could be done in the item Notetags, like this for sample:

Last edited: