Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Draw Better?

sage

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What are you using to draw?
A mouse? A tablet? What program?
Either way, it's really difficult to draw straight/smooth lines. You either have to Undo a lot, and keep trying until you can control the mouse/tablet well enough. It took me a year to get used to my first tablet.

pyrocmayhem

Towns Guard
What are you using to draw?
A mouse? A tablet? What program?
Either way, it's really difficult to draw straight/smooth lines. You either have to Undo a lot, and keep trying until you can control the mouse/tablet well enough. It took me a year to get used to my first tablet.
Tablet, Clip Paint Studio Pro. Usually with just a pencil and paper I can get decent lines.

sage

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm afraid you'll just have to keep trying until you get used to it.
Even after several years, I still can't do perfect lines.

To get them, most people do really fast strokes over the sketch or whatever they're inking. If the stroke misses the sketch line, they Ctrl + Z to Undo, and try again until they get it. That or they do the line sketchy with small strokes, and clean it up by zooming in and using the eraser.

Of course, line tools can do it too.

SlySly

Villager
Xy$
It's all practice... My tablet is really high quality, but it still took me a while to do anything decent. Just keep practicing with it.

[doublepost=1463206083,1463205950][/doublepost]
It's all practice... My tablet is really high quality, but it still took me a while to do anything decent. Just keep practicing with it.

though I am not that good of an artist...

Cunechan

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
It really takes alot of practise :D Compared to my non digital drawings my digital ones look really messy. Just try out different things with your drawing tablet and program, different brushes and styles, it'll get better soon :) Practice is the thing

SlySly

Villager
Xy$
It really takes alot of practise :D Compared to my non digital drawings my digital ones look really messy. Just try out different things with your drawing tablet and program, different brushes and styles, it'll get better soon :) Practice is the thing
XD... my digital drawing look better than my non digital... because I have been sketching only really

ejronin

Villager
Xy$
Most of the finished work you see in professional games are either by people who have spent a lot of time studying anatomy for art, and using paper and pencil medium - or are great copyists that look at another piece for influence and alter it enough to make it their own-ish.

The other thing you'll find is people sketch a mid grade version and then use it as an underlay for "inking" in illustrator or Corel draw because you can really play with vector lines and get what you want.

Something I used to do was create a bust model in Wings3D, shape out basic details and no hair. Rotate it to the angle I wanted and then export at a flat JPG. From there I would trace it in Illustrator or Corel Draw and export as a PNG and import to Photoshop for coloring.

It was a little tedious but I didn't have to really "work" until it was time to color

Kimika

Villager
Xy$
Probably sick of hearing this, but just a lot of practice. Digital art takes awhile to get used to but I think its worth learning in the end. You can study other art or stock pictures or you can search speedpaints on youtube as well, and be sure not to rush the lineart. Its my least favorite part so I tend to try and rush it but its too important to try and take shortcuts on (blush) If youre having a lot of trouble with something, maybe use some line tool? Or turn up the stabilizer on the brush, that keeps the lines straighter