Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does Javascript code work on RPG MV?

firecat

Villager
Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't found it by google or forum (the official one didn't allow me to post). I'm on the free trial version of MV to see if things i want, work and now i'm wondering how Javascript works in MV. I did a simple text message and it give me an error, i saw some youtubers type $JS so i did too and still errors. I don't know how MV works with Javascript, real raw code won't work because there is a limit of space, also error and the way youtubers did it doesn't make any sense.

The reason to know is to customize the game and rely less on the engine because I want to make the battles different. For example, limits on specials in battles and characters talking in mid-battle. I don't know if MV has that but it would be great to do it the way I wanted.

CT_Bolt

Global Moderator
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
Ok I'll give a quick run down for you...

Also below I've added a link to a set of great tutorials to help you.

Basically the whole engine of MV is javascript. Found in the "js" folder of the created game.

Inside the "js" folder, the "plugins" folder contains all the extra *.js files that are added in via the plugin manager of MV.

Using the plugin manager you can add many extra features, also you can place many lines of code inside a function that you can call upon using the javascript command in the event editor.

Link to Soul's excellent mv javascript tutorials:
https://soulxregalia.wordpress.com/rmmv-plugin-scripting-tutorials/

firecat

Villager
Ok I'll give a quick run down for you...

Also below I've added a link to a set of great tutorials to help you.

Basically the whole engine of MV is javascript. Found in the "js" folder of the created game.

Inside the "js" folder, the "plugins" folder contains all the extra *.js files that are added in via the plugin manager of MV.

Using the plugin manager you can add many extra features, also you can place many lines of code inside a function that you can call upon using the javascript command in the event editor.

Link to Soul's excellent mv javascript tutorials:
https://soulxregalia.wordpress.com/rmmv-plugin-scripting-tutorials/
Thank you

Rukiri

Villager
Xy$
From what I can gather the actual program is C/C++, only the scripting backend is javascript.
I did make a editor plugin request unfortunately the plugins would either need to be C++ or C# Mono likely the later.

It just uses javascript so most javascript code should work, I would look and read thru tho official core scripts to see how things are done so you can edit battle systems, menus, etc. Good way to start scripting.

I'm more of a rather program everything from scratch "makes it easier for me" kind of guy, which is sadly needed if you want to do an ABS... Too much work is involved, which is why one of my projects is in Unity not MV.

Last edited: