Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do You Keep Your Map Fresh?

With map elements being limited to a certain number of pieces (only a certain number of roofs, a couple kinds of grass and trees, a few flowers, etc.), how do you make your maps look like the same little image isn't being repeated over and over again? I'd love to hear any ideas you may have in your developer belts!

Last edited:

Cloud Knight

Praised Adventurer
With map elements being limited to a certain number of (only a certain number of roofs, a couple kinds of grass and trees, a few flowers, etc.), how do you make your maps look like the same little image isn't being repeated over and over again? I'd love to hear any ideas you may have in your developer belts!
that's when you gotta sprinkle a little bit of that pickle juice on it, like BLAM HAWT fire.. GOD HAVE MERCY !!
like meek mill yelling switch it up on R.I.C.O

in all seriousness

just add diversity, into the maps. after every so often. add something different make sure there's no empty spaces. fill everything in detail. also you can just ask this guy @LTN Games he seem's to have it down pact.
also then there's this thread where he goes into detail. on how to make a map.
http://rpgmakermv.co/threads/mapping-tips-tricks.43/
also it helps to add a random npc or sock. when the player clicks on it let it read.
oh somebody dropped a sock or hey who are you i never seen you before.
or did you just touch my foot ? maps are as fresh as the creator see's it therefore only the true you can answer that question once you unlock that hidden creation in your mind zone called the
#CreativeFlexZone

HitokiriGensai

Towns Guard
Xy$
I really enjoyed playing with Hanzo Kimura's map overlay script for VX and VX Ace, which added light, shadow, secondary and tertiary layers in addition to the existing parallax layer for all maps. It was so much work to pull off, but man, such beautiful maps are possible with it. It's all aesthetic, though, so it needs to be supporting a good map in the first place.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
With map elements being limited to a certain number of (only a certain number of roofs, a couple kinds of grass and trees, a few flowers, etc.), how do you make your maps look like the same little image isn't being repeated over and over again? I'd love to hear any ideas you may have in your developer belts!
Well generally a majority of houses tend to look the same, what you want to do when you only got a few styles to work with, is make the yard and surrounding areas more unique, have a house on a small cliff, one surrounded by trees, maybe some have bushes and flowers and some have nothing at all. You can shape the houses more uniquely as well, make some L shaped, some squares etc. etc. The list goes on and on, just remember the actual structure a majority of the time look the same, just take a look at how other people map, see the differences, look for the stuff that stands out most and the stuff that blends in with the rest of the map, you'd be surprised how quick you learn by look at other maps. :)

I really enjoyed playing with Hanzo Kimura's map overlay script for VX and VX Ace, which added light, shadow, secondary and tertiary layers in addition to the existing parallax layer for all maps. It was so much work to pull off, but man, such beautiful maps are possible with it. It's all aesthetic, though, so it needs to be supporting a good map in the first place.
I couldn't seem to locate this script; would you mind describing exactly what it is? Is it like those invisible tile labels where you can make unwalkable spaces walkable, only instead you apply light or darkness to a certain area? I really want to play with lighting in my game, and I think that would add a really awesome component to the aesthetics of particular maps I have in mind. (Mood lighting!)

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I couldn't seem to locate this script; would you mind describing exactly what it is? Is it like those invisible tile labels where you can make unwalkable spaces walkable, only instead you apply light or darkness to a certain area? I really want to play with lighting in my game, and I think that would add a really awesome component to the aesthetics of particular maps I have in mind. (Mood lighting!)
I prefer Yami Overlay, or Woratanas Multiple Fogs. Both of them are fairly easy to use and both powerful.

EraYachi

Knight
Xy$
90% of my maps are made in GIMP and integrated via parallaxing soooo...uh...I go nuts?

I guess parallaxing itself is the answer to the question, i'nt it? RPG VX Ace's mapping system made me pull my hair out (literally! I've got scars!) so I started parallax mapping to solve it. Made lots of pretty ones. Got tiresome. Even with the much wider sense of freedom, it takes a lot to make one map and keep it 'fresh', as you say. Really, if you use parallax, there's an unspoken expectation that it should be elaborate and decorated, unique and fresh since you're not working within the restrictions of the original mapping system. Basically, I just end up recalling my favourite elements of RPG dungeons and towns and find a way to recreate them. I'll toss in things that aren't even related to the main plot, like elaborate market squares and an interactive bell tower because that's what this kind freedom gets ya.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
90% of my maps are made in GIMP and integrated via parallaxing soooo...uh...I go nuts?

I guess parallaxing itself is the answer to the question, i'nt it? RPG VX Ace's mapping system made me pull my hair out (literally! I've got scars!) so I started parallax mapping to solve it. Made lots of pretty ones. Got tiresome. Even with the much wider sense of freedom, it takes a lot to make one map and keep it 'fresh', as you say. Really, if you use parallax, there's an unspoken expectation that it should be elaborate and decorated, unique and fresh since you're not working within the restrictions of the original mapping system. Basically, I just end up recalling my favourite elements of RPG dungeons and towns and find a way to recreate them. I'll toss in things that aren't even related to the main plot, like elaborate market squares and an interactive bell tower because that's what this kind freedom gets ya.
I can parralax maps, but I prefer editor when I want to get things done quickly, and yes I can make maps look just as good as parralax. Parallaxing maps completely removes the need for layers and to me that was the biggest thing. Being able to put a tree in front of a house without murdering the tiles is a big deal! lol. You're right though parallax takes a big amount of time, but it's worth it in the end if you want your game to have that extra edge. For me though I have not made a fantasy style game yet and I noticed that there is a time when to parallax and a time not to, and my games don't require it right now.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
Edit maps with Photoshop/Gimp etc. Looks extremely challenging. Even myself wouldn't dare doing it 0_0
You know it's really not that hard, just time consuming. As long as you setup your workspace properly you should have no problem getting started, the time consumption comes from layers, renaming them, placing them in the right groups, then making sure to always remember you stay within the 32X32 grid or in the case of MV 46X46 ( I think lol) . I should write a small tutorial to teach parallaxing sometime because I feel people are more scared of it when it's something rather nice and relaxing :D

Rise Evil

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
Modify the tiles, I've no problem with. Especially when I want to make a bed that the character can go in. But for the rest like palette swapping or putting custom light effect, it's way too out over my league xD

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
Modify the tiles, I've no problem with. Especially when I want to make a bed that the character can go in. But for the rest like palette swapping or putting custom light effect, it's way too out over my league
hehe lighting is easy, create a new layer, color it black, add some opacity, then use an eraser tool to bring in highlights. This is one way of doing it at least, and the easiest, it's fun because it's like the eraser tool is really a light tool adding light to your map :D

Rise Evil

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
hehe lighting is easy, create a new layer, color it black, add some opacity, then use an eraser tool to bring in highlights. This is one way of doing it at least, and the easiest, it's fun because it's like the eraser tool is really a light tool adding light to your map :D
Damn 0_0
What you find easy to do, I find it teddious and too much time consuming for me xD

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
ahh I see now, I guess I just really enjoy mapping no matter how it's done.Tthis is one of my first parallax maps, its just a small piece of my big city but you can see the lighting was just me erasing a black layer.
City Lights.png

Last edited:

Cloud Knight

Praised Adventurer
ahh I see now, I guess I just really enjoy mapping no matter how it's done.Tthis is one of my first parallax maps, its just a small piece of my big city but you can see the lighting was just me erasing a black layer.
View attachment 248
pretty nice !! i like it, almost looks like home to me !
i'm from Boston, Born And Raised.
back on topic now :) nice map keep it up LTN

EraYachi

Knight
Xy$
Damn 0_0
What you find easy to do, I find it teddious and too much time consuming for me XD
It is absolutely both of those things, but also very worth it. Like a sculpture, or a painting.

I mean, you can add a layer for lighting so that players can walk under them and have 'shadows and lights' (basically tinted areas and spots added with a glowing brush) cast on the avatar. In some of my earlier maps, I just did all lighting on the bottom layer of the map so it wasn't dynamic at all (using dodge/burn tools). LIke LTN said, it's gotta be something you enjoy doing to make parallax maps work for you.

Personally in MV, I'll start out with the editor and try to focus on creating resources that can be used by all users here, not just the parallaxing ones. From what I've seen, MV has a much, much better map editor than Ace does.

Rise Evil

Praised Adventurer
Xy$
It is absolutely both of those things, but also very worth it. Like a sculpture, or a painting.

I mean, you can add a layer for lighting so that players can walk under them and have 'shadows and lights' (basically tinted areas and spots added with a glowing brush) cast on the avatar. In some of my earlier maps, I just did all lighting on the bottom layer of the map so it wasn't dynamic at all (using dodge/burn tools). LIke LTN said, it's gotta be something you enjoy doing to make parallax maps work for you.

Personally in MV, I'll start out with the editor and try to focus on creating resources that can be used by all users here, not just the parallaxing ones. From what I've seen, MV has a much, much better map editor than Ace does.
You're right, I didn't think about it. I appologize for now underatanding what LTN meant by that.

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
You know this is the most exciting, I love mapping so when I heard of an extra layer I almost cried :'( I can make good maps with Ace I can only imagine the maps I can make with MV, like interior doors that actually look correct lol, plus it may eliminate a majority of parallaxing for me.

EraYachi

Knight
Xy$
You know this is the most exciting, I love mapping so when I heard of an extra layer I almost cried :'( I can make good maps with Ace I can only imagine the maps I can make with MV, like interior doors that actually look correct lol, plus it may eliminate a majority of parallaxing for me.
Yep, seeing how Ace was the instigator of my parallax thug life...sweet lord how I hated you, Ace map editor. You just couldn't let me put a dinner plate on top of a non A-layer table without being a magic toad about it...could you? COULD YOU!?

Oh look, I'm brandishing a knife. I wonder where that came from....anyway, ahem, cheers to the MV map editor!

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
Yep, seeing how Ace was the instigator of my parallax thug life...sweet lord how I hated you, Ace map editor. You just couldn't let me put a dinner plate on top of a non A-layer table without being a magic toad about it...could you? COULD YOU!?

Oh look, I'm brandishing a knife. I wonder where that came from....anyway, ahem, cheers to the MV map editor!
hahaha you explained that perfectly, this problem disappears completely with MV how exciting :) You're right Cheers to MV map editor !!