Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everyone....

Ton Jense

Villager
Xy$
Hi,

My name is Ton Jense. I'm 65, live in the Netherlands and am completely new to RPGMaker. I have plans to create a game for a non-commercial purpose. I do have some programming experience (not RPG though). I also have a global idea on what the game will be about, but with my current knowledge of RPG maker and (lack of designing) skills I won't be able to finish it. So I'm trying to learn from others with more experience.
For now I'm struggling with the concept of tiles. I (think I) understand it, but I'm really confused about how tiles are organized in tilesets. There seems to be no logic in it (at least I did not regognize it yet....
My first question is about this forum. I found really nice examples of tilesets, I would love to investigate. But those (from starbird) were not downloadable. Does this mean they are not free and not for sale? I did see a button "buy for $0,=", but that did not work. Maybe because I had not yet introduced myself at that time ?

Greetings,
Ton

Dad3353

Praised Adventurer
Good evening, @Ton Jense , and ...

... Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share.

If you've little experience with RPG MV, I'd encourage you to try out a small Project at first, maybe following a few tutorials, just to get the hang of it. I shan't say it's easy (but it is..!); it's simply a matter of playing around for a while, and asking questions when you get stuck or confused. Lots of folks here to help you.
As for buying Tilesets... One can do an awful lot with just the 'standard' tiles, and there are many 'free to download' Tilesets, too. The Resources that require payment is a new concept on this site, and has not yet fully stabilised; nothing to do with your recent inscription. This will sort itself out in the very near future, which gives you a bit more time for becoming more familiar with MV, so there is a positive aspect..! You could try a Personal Message (PM...) directly to Starbird if you're really impatient though.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, and we'd be delighted to see what you make of it all. I, too, create Projects purely for my own satisfaction and curiosity, with no commercial objective whatsoever. The main thing, then, is to enjoy..!

Lore

Resident Dragon
Welcome to the insanity we call the forums!

Everyone was new to the program at some point. I myself am relatively new to RPG Maker MV (Only been using it for about a month and a half) but thanks to tutorials on YouTube and the people here, I'm learning quickly.

Never be afraid to ask questions either. We'll always try to do our best to help you out. And if we don't know the answer to something, we can, most likely, point you in the right direction. :)

Again, welcome to the forums! :D

Juneberry

Global Moderator
Xy$
Hiya Ton! I rather like your name- it intrigues me. How are you enjoying RPGmaker so far?

I think the most important thing right now would be for you to take your time- but this is coming from someone with probably less ability than you (in my biased, self-defeating opinion). Slowly but surely, you'll get used to the interface. I think having a background in programming means you might be able to learn the JS needed more easily- so I'm kind of jealous.

It's great to see you doing your best- even if it feels complex and annoying at first. Just take your time and you'll find some sort of pattern in general...I hope. Because I can't find one yet, and I love patterns and puzzles.

Mysiath

the Eternal Lord in the Nothingness
Xy$
Hello there and welcome to the forums of chaos. I do hope you enjoy your stay here, and I wish you the best of luck with your project!

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Ton, and welcome to the community. You will find a lot of helpful people and content, in this community. What I love about RPG Maker MV is that it is as simple or as complex as you want it to be.