Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help and Tutorial using db 16 palette (SNES style graphics) w/ Aseprite

GYIYGABITE

Villager
Xy$
Don't know if this is the right spot to post it. If it isn't, please move it to the correct topic.

Heyooo RPG Makers!

So for the last couple days, I've been researching in what I need to give my game a SNES style graphic. It seems that the palettes I need to work with is the db 16 palette to give it that vibe (If I am wrong, please point me to the correct palettes then). However, I am an ABSOLUTE NEWBIE in this field and it seems that I can't find the correct videos for tutorial on how to create the SNES style graphics using db 16 palette. So here are my main questions:

1) Is the db 16 palette the correct one to use to give the SNES feel? Or is there one that is recommended to use for Aseprite? If so, please provide the link to download the .gpl format. (Please check the spoiler below)

2) From my knowledge playing an SNES back in them golden days, each character sprite can have up to 16 different colors? If so, I am going to use that.

3) One thing I am confused, is this. If each sprite can hold up to 16 colors, I noticed that some sprites from the SNES are using more then 16 colors. Take Ultima Weapon from FF6 for example.

Ultima Weapon's using 24 different colors. More then the 16 color limitation. Is there something that I am missing how they did that? I'm assuming what the devs did is they used 16 different colors, but they also used the RGB to change the tone of the color. Also, does this rule also apply when making backgrounds and custom tilesets? I need to know this information to give the SNES aesthetic look.

4) Where can I find some good recommended tutorial links or videos on how to create SNES style graphics?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. As always, be passion about what you love doing!