Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giving real things a new name?

Wize1

Adventurer
Xy$
I'm specifically talking about the "katana" sword in this thread. I want to have them in my rpg, but I don't want to name them "katana" -- What else could I do? If I give them a new name but have the same look, won't people just say "oh, it's a katana" anyways?

Starbird

Praised Adventurer
Resource Team
Xy$
you could hang a lantern on it. at some point in the game, have an NPC say "nice katana" (or whatever, you get the idea) and have the character reply "what's a katana?" obviously there are lots of ways to do it, but hanging a lantern on something like that short-circuits the audience's naturally skeptical reaction

Wize1

Adventurer
Xy$
you could hang a lantern on it. at some point in the game, have an NPC say "nice katana" (or whatever, you get the idea) and have the character reply "what's a katana?" obviously there are lots of ways to do it, but hanging a lantern on something like that short-circuits the audience's naturally skeptical reaction
That's quite clever. Thanks.