Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the Windows deployment really need the M4a audio files..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dad3353

Praised Adventurer
I had a search; couldn't find an answer, so...

The Windows (Mac and Web deployments, too...) include the duplicate M4a audio files. Could these be removed, thus reducing the 'weight' of the relevant folders..? Why are they included in the deployment at all..?
My broadband is not as broad as all that; the upload speed is less than modest. If I could reduce the size of the 'zip' files I post, I'd gain quite a bit, but, of course, only if the resulting file contained all the files required. Can I safely remove the M4a's..?

Edit: Doh..! On looking more closely, I see that the deployment does, indeed, only include the audio files required. Please ignore this question; it's resolved.

Last edited:

Dad3353

Praised Adventurer
Yeah I don't get why they included m4as because they are worthless and don't work with MV.
They're not worthless for those deploying their games to the Android platform. If they weren't supplied they'd have to be created by the person making the game. Is there a downside to their existence..? If one doesn't deploy to Android, they can safely be deleted, or archived, can't they..?

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The M4A files are there so you can hear them while developing the game itself. After deployment, you can remove the M4A files and keep the OGG files for the Windows deployment. Have you used an MV Stripper tool to also remove excess files. I know there is a button to remove unused files, during deployment, but it may not catch them all. In addition, I personal remove ALL images not used, BEFORE making the project. This removes a LOT of file space.

Dad3353

Praised Adventurer
The M4A files are there so you can hear them while developing the game itself...
My own music files were only in OGG format, so I don't think the game needs M4a during the dev stage (could be wrong..?).
A good tip on starting with a clean slate; I'll probably adopt a similar course once I'm a bit more familiar with what's needed and what's not. Disk space isn't a worry for me for dev; it's the upload time of the deployed 'zip's that I try to keep as short as I can. I'll have a look at the Stripper notion for that; thanks.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I see that you have solved your own question. I will be closing it, and show that you had the best answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.