Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did everyone just suddenly become a graphic designer/web dev?

I've noticed that on a variety of forums and suchlike, people seem to tend to be more clued up about what constitutes a graphic/web designer and developer - and often make their own graphics and code. Is this due to the abundance of tutorials on the internet, or is it just possible that these people tend to be centered around certain places?

Eg here :P

(I'm a web dev and graphic designer)

LTN Games

Master Mind
Resource Team
Xy$
I took a course when I was 17 and been using action script, photoshop and many other programs since I was 10. I'm 26 so you kinda grow into everything and know what to do. That's my short story :) I'm on my phone it would have been a bigger story lol.

Xyphien

Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Resource Team
Xy$
I've noticed that on a variety of forums and suchlike, people seem to tend to be more clued up about what constitutes a graphic/web designer and developer - and often make their own graphics and code. Is this due to the abundance of tutorials on the internet, or is it just possible that these people tend to be centered around certain places?

Most web designers/graphic designers have the same interests. Thus why they are a graphics designer / web designer XD I've been making forums for about 10 years, and been dabbling in graphics for like 6. I've even owned a graphics forum. GraphicHub @sage a moment of silence for this beautiful baby at rest. Most of us are people who probably spend their majority of their free time on the computer/internet, so what better things to do then design for it XD

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!

I doubt it's that everyone suddenly became a commercial grade web designer, just blogging has become incredibly easy.

As for graphics? Hmmm!

I'm an artist and have been for years, (though I've made significant improvement over this last year) same with Amy and most other arty folks, though Omega Seven has recently really got into it (he isn't here.)

I think it's just becoming seen as such a valued skill. And it's a great way to kill time if you have lots of it. Hell, I wish I had more time just so that I may art more.

Ag, I wasn't referring to blogging - moreso about how lots of other people do actual web dev ie forums (not premade/templates) and wordpress sites etc (keeping in mind wordpress is only a CMS)

reisen

Adventurer
Xy$
I've been a graphic designer ever since I was 12 years old. VX.net and a certain Ragnarok Online server is where I've realized my knack for graphic designing. The only problem I have is I suck at coding, lol.

PandaMaru

Local Hero
Xy$
Mh, I'm drawing since I was little. I tried twice to study something with graphic but quit both due to financial and psychology matters. So graphic-design is more a hobby to me nowadays.

In this last years in the maker-community I have seen many users get used to do allround-stuff themself if they really want to develop a game and publish it. At a certain point the rtp isn't enough and to find a graphic-slave to fullfill your dream isn't easy if you don't pay good. Same for everything else but you could work with a bunch of coders and a player won't notice - try that with two graphic artists with different styles. To make a good homepage for your game you need at least a little bit knowledge of graphics and web development.
Maybe that is some point too?