Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Graphics Character Templates based on different XP Templates

Which sprite style do you prefer?

• The classic style before RMVX

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • The new chibi style since RMVX

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Fynnmellex

Villager
Xy$
This Thread is for all of those who - like me - don't really like the chibistyle Enterbrain implemented since VX, but instead want to return to the XP style.

I will upload more, as I finish them, they are tested in MV and work so far.

Since the sprites are based on a 96x48 grid, clipping issues are most likely to happen if you use MV sized Tilesets. I recommend using XP Tilesets. The easiest way to do that, in my opinion, would be Paralax- or Overlaymapping (I think, one of the plugins for that purpose is "Kaus Ultimate Overlay"). But that is up to you.

These Templates are of course free to use (I will only post stuff that was open source originally, so there will be no problems), but Credits must be given. I will list the Credits alongside the respective images. (Sidenote: In order to give you the correct creditnames, I will post my real name along with my nickname. Please do not use it for suspicious purposes, or anything else in general than for crediting. Thanks alot in advance!)

They are also rpgmakermv.co exclusive, you won't find them anywhere else (unless someone else does/did the same thing xD)

The pictures are uploaded in the .png format and come with a transparent background, so you can start tweaking them right away with your favourite graphics program! :D

Oh, in case you don't know, in order to use the sprites properly in MV you need to put a "$"in front of your filename. That tells MV that the sprites aren't "normal sized" sprites. (Sideinfo: the big monster sprites are a good example, go look at them if you don't know what I mean :P)

Other than that: Have fun with them!

Fynnmellex

Edit: As I find it very hard to find open XP resource nowadays (most of the stuff that is listed isn't online anymore), I'll change my approach a bit. Instead of searching for templates myself and maybe leaving some out, that I don't like for some reason, maybe you guys could do that for me. Post a comment with the content you'd like to use in your project and I'll convert and resize it to the way you want it. Don't forget to give me the name of the creator, for proper crediting!

Screenshot with the new templates in use:
Screen with new Templates.jpg

Female Template
Credits:
-Mack (for creating this template)
-Me ->Aleksandar "Fynnmellex" Tolic (for converting it into MV usable size)
$TestChar.png

Male Template
Credits:
-Mack (for creating this template)
-Me -> Aleksandar "Fynnmellex" Tolic (for converting it into Mv usable size)
$testChar_Male.png

Last edited:

Ravani Lestari

Towns Guard
Xy$
This is something I am interested in. I am using a front view battle style, so I don't need to worry about any battler sprites, but the walking sprites are a bit too chibi for my liking, and XP was the last RPG Maker I have worked with and I miss those sprites a lot. I am no sprite artist though, but I will keep an eye out for any progress with this. I may even take up learning how to sprite.

Fynnmellex

Villager
Xy$
This is something I am interested in. I am using a front view battle style, so I don't need to worry about any battler sprites, but the walking sprites are a bit too chibi for my liking, and XP was the last RPG Maker I have worked with and I miss those sprites a lot. I am no sprite artist though, but I will keep an eye out for any progress with this. I may even take up learning how to sprite.
Don't worry xD I can't really sprite either. But I think that I am able to put some clothes and hair on a character :) If you need any help with that, then just give me a holler and I'll see what I can do. But this thread is meant for template only, so you'll only get the "naked" sprites ^^ I just didn't want to use those small sprites in my game and I figured that others may think the same, so I posted this thread here to give them at least some little help :D

Ravani Lestari

Towns Guard
Xy$
Don't worry xD I can't really sprite either. But I think that I am able to put some clothes and hair on a character :) If you need any help with that, then just give me a holler and I'll see what I can do. But this thread is meant for template only, so you'll only get the "naked" sprites ^^ I just didn't want to use those small sprites in my game and I figured that others may think the same, so I posted this thread here to give them at least some little help :D
I'm all for the basic template, its the animation department that really sets most of the quality. With enough practice and time, I am positive that anyone can add the clothing and find their own methods of copying and pasting their sprites according to the animation frames. :)

Fynnmellex

Villager
Xy$
I'm all for the basic template, its the animation department that really sets most of the quality. With enough practice and time, I am positive that anyone can add the clothing and find their own methods of copying and pasting their sprites according to the animation frames. :)
Absolutely true. I tried over and over making characters from scratch and failed MISERABLY xD That's why I decided to keep going with templates. And since Enterbrain changed the animation cycle it may be even easier than in XP. In XP you needed a cycle that went idle-left-idle-right, and now it's just left-idle-right. So that's one row or four characters less to edit :D
Anyway, like I said, if you need any help with making a complete character just say the word and I'll see what I can do :) I like helping xD

Ravani Lestari

Towns Guard
Xy$
Absolutely true. I tried over and over making characters from scratch and failed MISERABLY xD That's why I decided to keep going with templates. And since Enterbrain changed the animation cycle it may be even easier than in XP. In XP you needed a cycle that went idle-left-idle-right, and now it's just left-idle-right. So that's one row or four characters less to edit :D
Anyway, like I said, if you need any help with making a complete character just say the word and I'll see what I can do :) I like helping xD
Well, I could use some help. I'm currently drawing up the full body image of my main character, Levin. So after I have that finished, I'll get back to you about that sprite. I'm looking for a sprite artist for my project anyways, so let's see how in sync we are.

Fynnmellex

Villager
Xy$
Ah, reference images are always great :D I'm glad that I wouldn't need to draw off of a mere description xD But hold you horses there. I wouldn't call myself a sprite artist O.o Like I said, I think I could do the clothes and hair of a character and place it upon a template (since I've done the same on a VX Ace project years ago), but thats it. Anything else would be over my abilities as an artist.
But I'd sure like to try anyway. Test myself and what I can do. Let me quote someone well known here: "Challenge accepted!" :D Just send me the full body image as soon as your done and I'll see to finish the sprites in two days or so, depending on how much time I can spend on it. Sound good to you?

Ravani Lestari

Towns Guard
Xy$
Ah, reference images are always great :D I'm glad that I wouldn't need to draw off of a mere description xD But hold you horses there. I wouldn't call myself a sprite artist O.o Like I said, I think I could do the clothes and hair of a character and place it upon a template (since I've done the same on a VX Ace project years ago), but thats it. Anything else would be over my abilities as an artist.
But I'd sure like to try anyway. Test myself and what I can do. Let me quote someone well known here: "Challenge accepted!" :D Just send me the full body image as soon as your done and I'll see to finish the sprites in two days or so, depending on how much time I can spend on it. Sound good to you?
Sounds good to me! I'll also include the MV Sprite I have set up for her for more "Spritey?" reference. :) Nothing special, just a character generator spriteset.

Barchetta

Villager
Xy$
I feel the heads are a tiny bit too.... fat? I don't know. I'm sure once I tack on hair, it'll look just fine. Great work and perhaps when I make my 2nd game and I go all out, I'll upgrade to tall everything. Definitely going to add this to my resources hard disk :)

Fynnmellex

Villager
Xy$
I feel the heads are a tiny bit too.... fat?
Really? I could resize the head a bit, if you want to but I can't change it too much. The sprites are made that way by the creator, so I can assure you that I didn't change anything aside from the overall size to make it fit properly in RMMV :)
Still it's nice to see that people like the thread :D

Barchetta

Villager
Xy$
Bwahaha didn't realize they weren't yours! I really should read first posts sometimes. I am really bad at that. Haven't truly been part of a forum in awhile. My join date on forums.rpgmakerweb.com was back in 2013 but I had 0 posts until a couple weeks ago! xD Been busy with life and only just recently found the time and creativity to get back into this stuff!

No need to edit what someone else has done here. It's just a personal preference that I could fix myself if I was truly dedicated to using these. I wouldn't expect you to do that for me, haha. Anyway, thanks for the share regardless.

Fynnmellex

Villager
Xy$
Bwahaha didn't realize they weren't yours! I really should read first posts sometimes...

...I could fix myself if I was truly dedicated to using these. I wouldn't expect you to do that for me, haha. Anyway, thanks for the share regardless.
No problem :) it happens to me quite alot too xD thanks for the positive feedback though :D

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
I think these were a good idea, but they probably won't look quite right when they're actually being used. The pixels look like they were scaled by 2, so unless the clothing and tiles have the same thing done, they'll look a bit awkward in comparison to the regular tiles. (amazed)

Fynnmellex

Villager
Xy$
T
I think these were a good idea, but they probably won't look quite right when they're actually being used. The pixels look like they were scaled by 2, so unless the clothing and tiles have the same thing done, they'll look a bit awkward in comparison to the regular tiles. (amazed)
True, thats why I recommended in the thread to use parallax mapping and resized XP tiles. Though I posted a screenshot with the sprites in use and I don't think that it looks all too weird :P but of course that is only my opinion ^^

Barchetta

Villager
Xy$
Yea, with parallax mapping, light overlays and lighting systems, and of course custom styled tilesets, this will look absolutely perfect. No resource released comes without some sort of limitation. As a template, it requires editing anyway.
This resource is more or less meant for the more hardcore game designers.

Fynnmellex

Villager
Xy$
Yea, with parallax mapping, light overlays and lighting systems, and of course custom styled tilesets, this will look absolutely perfect. No resource released comes without some sort of limitation. As a template, it requires editing anyway.
This resource is more or less meant for the more hardcore game designers.
Thanks for considering me a "hardcore gamedesigner" :D that's literally the nicest compliment I got in years!

Chibae

Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca
i like pre vx but i wish there was more downed sprites in the generators on looseleaf (that does XP style). so does yer sprites templates have downed sprites or is it just walking. :)

Fynnmellex

Villager
Xy$
i like pre vx but i wish there was more downed sprites in the generators on looseleaf (that does XP style). so does yer sprites templates have downed sprites or is it just walking. :)
Right now, they're just walking animations. This may be a dumb question, but what is a downed sprite? xD