Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can enyone help with character movement?

Luthien

Villager
Xy$
Hi! I have request. Can enyone explain me how to add an animation to 8 directions movement. I have a Yumi8DIR plug in and it works, but when i pressed left arrow character move diagonally, but on animation character is turn left not down/left. I have drawn sprite in every 8 directions but where I should put it. (I have MoreCharacterFrames plugin too)
I hope is understandable, please help me : (

eivl

Local Hero
Xy$
Could you share an example of what is going on, i can not seem to get my head around what is going on.
But there is no way of animating 8 directional movement without changing the core game. also 8 directional movement is not true 8 dir in the normal sense, but let me diverge a bit first.

The map is a grid with squares, your character moves one tile at the time until you hit a non movable tile. if you wanted true 8 directional movement you would need to Octogons

As you can see this would give a true 8 directional movement, but the sprite used for RPG maker has only 4 directions, like this.

The game is also programmed to read the sprite with 4 directions and i have not seen anywhere a way to easily change this without rewriting the entire code (this is possible, it is not difficult, but might take a while)

to fake diagonal movement what you do is divide every title in smaller squares and move within those.

I am far from an expert on this, sprite and graphic drawing is not my forte, but this is my hones opinion, but i could also be wrong when i say; I do not think drawing a 8 dir sprite would actually work right out of the box.

Could you at lease provide me with a link to your movement plugin and i could be sure of what i say is correct? ;)