Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burnt Out

(There should probably be a general game development discussion forum :P)

So I've just spent literally the entire past week resorting my resources for Beyond Reality, so that it never requires the RTP in its checks, but doing so meant I had to run through the entire game and find any crashing bits (animations and sound effects were a giant culprit) and I have to say, it was the most soul-destroying thing I have ever done >_>

Mashing enter to get past dialogue I'd already read 600 times, using cheaty strategies (not really cheaty, I just know what all the enemies can handle so I can win quickly) strategies to defeat enemies, fleeing from every battle, holding shift and the like to basically speedrun the game. If you're interested, my savefile says two hours. Edit: to clarify, that's a speedrun. Normal time is six to eight.

Two hours of mashing enter and holding shift. It felt like a month.

After that dreadful week, I've burnt out lol - I can see every flaw in the game but at this point, I really should just let it go, and provide post-release support for bugs when needed, rather than worrying about the game's perfection and whathaveyou. But part of me says if I spend an extra hour editing dialogue a bit, the story could be a lot deeper. And then we run into the whole burnout again - I don't have the will to carry on editing anymore!

Right now, the game's on Greenlight, but going super slowly (link in sig) so I'm contacting some publicity agents (so to speak) to see what can be done. At this point though, it feels like I should just leave RM / dev entirely for a few months and start something new with what I've learnt from BR.

Yeah, this thread kind of went off on a tangent, but d'ya get what I mean?

James Richardson

Towns Guard
Xy$
Don't get burnt out!! Just take some time off and finish it up.
Trust me, everyone would rather wait a few weeks or months for a perfect game instead of a buggy one.
I believe in you!!!

A lot of that time was spent fixing bugs so don't worry about bugs, I'd be shocked if you found one at this stage :P

The game's also finished as far as I am concerned.

James Richardson

Towns Guard
Xy$
Ah, I got ya. It's complete but you're just triple checking.
I would love to check out your game, is it available to play? Or how would I go about seeing more of it?