Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle System: Enemy Escape with EXP

noxyoursox

Villager
Xy$
In my current project the two main protagonists are children during the first part of the game, and I really want to emphasize their helplessness by making them completely unable to kill enemies during that part of the game. My idea was to set those enemies as Immortal, then add an event where they flee from battle when their HP reaches zero--but Escape prevents the characters from getting experience from the battle even though they "defeated" the enemy. I do want them to be able to get experience from these battles, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Is there a way to make an alternative "Knockout" with a different message or something like that?

noxyoursox

Villager
Xy$
Never mind, I'm pretty sure I solved the problem! Instead of having the enemy use Escape, I added text saying they had fled, removed the Immortal state from that enemy, then added the Knockout state (which doesn't trigger the Knockout text but does cause them to give EXP at the end of battle!) Whew!