Indie Dev

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ask a Loaf of Bread Questions

Essy

Towns Guard
Xy$
Those who know me around here probably know me from other sites, but I've been lurking around here for quite awhile. I used to be a very active member of the RPG Maker Community, although now I'm more of a supporter. I got into programming because of RPG Maker and I still want to support the community where I can. So now that the introduction is done, feel free to ask this sentient loaf of bread anything.

Last edited:

Essy

Towns Guard
Xy$
@Amysaurus , as I'm also part cat I can type by rolling on the keyboard. I try not to sit on keyboards too long though, they're very warm and often leave my underside far too toasted.

TheUnproPro

Boondoggle
Staff member
Resource Team
Partner
Truth be told I was originally just a cat, but I meme'd too hard and it upset an internet witch who cursed me and turned me into this form. So I suppose, upset an internet witch?
Thanks! now to find one... *goes into detail about some life story about wanting to be a bread * and that's why I always wanted to be a bread ;-;

Essy

Towns Guard
Xy$
What is a good way to learn basic coding
Oof, I sort of fell off for a bit. Been managing an Unreal project.

The best way to learn basic coding is to practice, but if you're like me a roadmap is useful.

Algorithms by Sedgewick (pdf is easy to fine) is an excellent material for learning basic concepts to intermediate algorithms. Generally it's a good idea to test what you're learning against vastly different programming languages.

Using low level languages like C for practice teaches you how to make your own utilities.
Languages like C++/Python help teach you how to solve problems quickly.
Functional languages like Scheme/Haskell forces you to think in entirely new ways, but that way of thinking is applicable in just about every programming languages.

If you do just one then you'll be at where I would expect basic coding skills to be, do all 3 and you'll be very well off.

After going through Sedgewick's you can use sites like Code Eval for new challenges to gain experience, then from there you could focus into specific subjects. Focus on one subject at a time, look for pdf where possible, many colleges will have their syllabus posted online so you can use that to find out what materials to use. That said, don't rely on course work. It's very hit and miss from different schools, textbooks are amazing material but in my opinion they should be explore in their entirety. Distilling them down definitely devalues them.

Eventually you'll reach a point where programming feels like a very natural action. That said don't be too prideful to look at documentation. We all do it.

But when it comes down to it you gain the most out of practice, practice, practice. If you want subjects that are more general purpose and less niche I would recommend Data Structures, Algorithms, Foundations of Programming Languages, and String Parsing / Finite Automata.